Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LFB giving away smoke detectors in Brixton

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
I know they do that anyway, but they're offering people a smoke detector with a 10-year battery life and a fire safey inspection. Just fill in your details and they'll visit.

Many people can't be arsed, but if you're passing, it'll only take you a minute or two to fill in form, so if you've no smoke detector and you want LFB to check your house, get down there

Now they're not giving detectors away on the street, they'll come to your house and advise you where the best place to put it is, as apparently the reason most alarms go off is because they're incorrectly sited, resulting in lots of people removing the batteries (myself included)

I don't want them checking my house! It's a mess. I should put a smoke detector up though. The one I had went mental and I had to hide it in a drawer wrapped in towels for ages before it stopped wailing, and i could throw it out. :(

I don't want them checking my house! It's a mess. I should put a smoke detector up though. The one I had went mental and I had to hide it in a drawer wrapped in towels for ages before it stopped wailing, and i could throw it out. :(

Yeah, I did think before I was filling form in about what a bomb-site the flat was, but figured I could put it all down to b/f :oops:

Do you have a fire extinguisher or blanket?

These new alarms dont go off so easiely. They are more finely tuned so are not set off by foods over cooking.

Wouldnt worry about spring cleaning before they come round, worse would have been seen i can tell ya.

These new alarms dont go off so easiely. They are more finely tuned so are not set off by foods over cooking.

I hope so. I swear the cat used to set off mum and dad's.

And it wasn't smoke that set it off. It was one that you plug into a light socket. And as soon as it was charged it just went off and the 'stored leccie' meant detaching it didn't help any... :mad:

Wouldnt worry about spring cleaning before they come round, worse would have been seen i can tell ya.

You said that an hour ago :D

im the one of em that would have to come round and stick em up so i aint that keen !
But really it is a good idea , dont cost nowt and you'll get a couple of alarms stuck up & briefed up on home fire safety from the local station. All the info is on the london fire brigade site.

im the one of em that would have to come round and stick em up so i aint that keen !
But really it is a good idea , dont cost nowt and you'll get a couple of alarms stuck up & briefed up on home fire safety from the local station. All the info is on the london fire brigade site.

are you a fireman? :eek::D

Papingo might change her mind about letting you in ;)

If she gives the number a call & books an appointment then it won't only be me turning up but a whole truck load of us, no pun.

Just got a letter from them stating words to the effect that they got such a good response, there's a bit of a delay in contacting everyone :D

I've just had 3 lovely firemen come round and put a 10-year smoke detector in. These ones are much handier as you can just turn them off with a mob/broom/big stick if they go off unnecessarily rather than having to dig ladders out and take battery out.

Also had a quick butcher's round flat to check what type of plugs/adaptors we have in and a quick questionnaire and basic advice.

Back
Top Bottom