Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

barcelona

clandestino

no llevar papel
i´m in barcelona for a week taking a spanish course. when i´m not busy with classes, what should i go and see? know any good bars, clubs, etc?

in an internet cafe on the ramblas now. it´s all been lovely so far.

:)

Hi Ian,
Barcelona is my favourite place ever, but I've only been to it when Sonar was on, so the bars we visited were pretty random as there was a huge group of us out there.
Touristwise, I can recommend the Picasso museum, Montjuic (sp?) park, Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia as essential places, but you can get that from any guide book.
Barcelona is a great place for just wandering around and discovering things on your own - there's something of interest everywhere you go.
Try the Gothic Quarter and the area to the north of it (I think it called El Born) for quirky bars and people watching

Im just back from there after 4 days, fantastic place.

Erm, get the bus touristic, its 20 euro's for a two day ticket n u can get on and off as much as you want. ( Oh yea and of course you get a discount book free, For gettin into all sorts of places free. )
Top class place, the gothic quater is lovely, I could walk all day there, its brilliant.

OOOOO and check out the Irish Bar, called Paddy's Lane in the Pla de Palau. Near the Sta. Maria del Mar.

I'm off there with the family next week (I know, I'm 21 but I am very injured and the parents refuse to leave me and the sister alone). Anything Olympic-based to do? Also I'd love to go round the Nou Camp stadium which I don't know if you can do. Any advice, bearing in mind this is for a 50 year old couple, and 21 year old bloke and a 20 year old girl?

You can go around the Nou Camp, if u get on the bus touristic it will take u there ( and it will give you a discount entry ( I THINK )) but the kews are massive. ( or where when we went there ) Guadi's house is ok, the roof is fantastic and you can go up the Sagadia Famila in a lift if u want too. Anyway thats the main places I went too :D

i'm back now. had a great time. definitely go to parc guel (or something like that), the gaudi park in the north. looks fantastic. i went up la gradada familia and had a pretty bad vertigo turn, so avoid that if you can't stand heights/confined spaces/etc. didn't manage much sightseeing as i was there to study, but the beach is well worth a visit. wish i was there now!

My Mum's heard about a cable car which goes over the coast line and that it's really good. Can anyone confirm this?

stavros said:
My Mum's heard about a cable car which goes over the coast line and that it's really good. Can anyone confirm this?

coastline is stretching it a bit - it goes over the port.

it runs from a cable tower at the end of the peninsula where the beach starts and across the light industry bit and the port and marina and stuff and then joins the side of the hill in the big park i can never remember the fucking name of, and from there you can explore lots of museums and stuff and come down a brilliant big staircase to a musical fountain, about 10 minutes i think from the bottom of la ramblas.

well worth taking on a clear day, you can get a sense of how places like La Sagrada Familia fit into the rest of the city

and as i said on another thread, there's a restaurant in Placa De Real called something like Les Quinze Nits which is incredibly high standard haute cuisine food at stupidly low prices. you always have to queue for a while, in the square (which is lovely) but the turnover is pretty quick and the place is deceptively large.

try the sea bass. mmmmmm.

Wat Dub said bout the cable car innit ! :p ;)
We didnt go on it but it starts in Montjuic and ends up on the next penisular along from Port Vell. So give it a crack. We went on the "other" one up to the fort and it was brilliant, I didnt think I'd like it but it was sooo fun. I could spend all day on there. Defo go on the one to the fort if u can.

Nick

Dubversion said:
and as i said on another thread, there's a restaurant in Placa De Real called something like Les Quinze Nits which is incredibly high standard haute cuisine food at stupidly low prices. you always have to queue for a while, in the square (which is lovely) but the turnover is pretty quick and the place is deceptively large.

try the sea bass. mmmmmm.

i recommend that place too - went there with a bunch of people i was in a hostel with, one of whom was argentinian and a handy translator for the waitress! fabulous food and it's a lovely place.

Dubversion said:

Les Quinze Nits is great and so is La Fonda on Carrer dels Escudeller is owned by the same people and is equally cheap and tasty (3 courses and plenty of wine for 20-30 Euros).
La Taxidermista on the other corner of Placa Real is dearer but is the best restaurant I've eaten at there - I had the best steak I've ever had there.

Orang Utan said:
Les Quinze Nits is great and so is La Fonda on Carrer dels Escudeller is owned by the same people and is equally cheap and tasty (3 courses and plenty of wine for 20-30 Euros).
La Taxidermista on the other corner of Placa Real is dearer but is the best restaurant I've eaten at there - I had the best steak I've ever had there.

Interesting name for a restaurant, La Taxidermista. Do they do good stuffing? I´m in Barca at the moment, but it´s 38 degrees outside. Thought I´d pop in here for a bit. May try the restaurant this evening.

It used to be a taxidermist (funnily enough) and a natural history museum and Dali frequented it often - he once bought 200,000 ants and a rhino there allegedly

Back
Top Bottom