Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Area Forum AGM: Thurs 13 May

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
To let you all know that the AGM of the Brixton Area Forum will be held on Thursday 13 May in the Assembly Hall at Lambeth Town Hall. I am sure that many of you, with your strong views on the local area, will turn up.

The start time is, I think, 7pm although I don't have the papers to hand at the moment and can't find the stuff on the lambeth website. The discussions will include a review of what the BAF has done over the year, plans for the central square outside the Tate Library, and reports from each of the ward/subject committees (environment, transport, Coldharbour, Tulse Hill etc)

Hatboy, and others who have been involved in the BAF, may be able to add more.

When I received the papers I was interested to see that although there are thousands of people on the BAF mailing list, there are only something like 140 registered members. One of the things they are going to do at the AGM is vote for the overall chair and for the chairs of the committees. Only registered members can vote and 140 seems a scandalously low number of people to represent an area such as Brixton. So if you are interested, please take some time to register and use your vote wisely!

Further info from
Brixton Town Centre Office
205 Stockwell Road
SW9 9SL

I'll try to get hold of some more info on this and post it up. In the meantime, wouldn't it be good if a load of us from here could turn up at the meeting, contribute intelligently to the debate and do our bit for local democracy directly - instead of baiting each other on the boards! :) :) :)

Brixton Hatter said:
I'm having great fun here having a conversation with myself!
Don't worry about it. These threads are great and you're doing BAF a favour. Until they get their own website - why haven't they got one? - you're doing their job for them.

In fact, I think you should get an Order of BAF (Second Class) at a special ceremony in Tate Gardens.

The papers for the AGM contain a lot of detail about work already done by the Forum. I've read through them and picked out some of the key things that are planned for the coming year (so that you lazy buggers don't have to! :D ] :

- New lighting and street furniture for Coldharbour Lane and Angell Town
- Developing 236 Coldharbour Lane as a community resource
- Developing the railway arches
- Various environmentral improvements to estates
- Closure of Pullens Alley in Herne Hill for development as a "community area" [this was news to me - anyone know anything else? Sounds interesting as it's not the nicest alleyway you've ever seen!]
- discussions with Transport for London (TfL) to improve phasing
times for the pedestrian lights on Brixton Hill
- Improvements to Windmill Gardens
- Support for pensioners on the Tulse Hill estate
- Tackling parking and street cleansing issues around Ferndale Road
- Improvements to the skatepark
- Plans for a Drinking Control Area around Brixton Oval [there is a thread on this elsewhere]
- Improving toilet facilities in the area [I was amused to see that a report has been commissionecd from the
- Improving the environment around the street market, particularly along Electric Avenue
- Plans to "improve pedestrian flow" outside the tube station [ :confused: ]
- Plans to close Effra Road by 2008 [I guess they mean the bit between the Tate Library and where the Bug Bar is]
- Redevelopment of Raleigh Hall, as well as development of other premises as community assets
- Recycling bicycles and mopeds for use by the local kids
- Linking up with activities arising from the major redevelopment of the Elephant and Castle
- Tenders (ie a design brief) have gone out for redeveloping the oval area outside the library/Ritzy
- A new website describing the work of the Brixton Town Centre Office

Additionally, 50,000 maps of central Brixton listing many key businesses and sites have apparently been produced. I've got a few old versions of these - anyone know where I can pick a new one up?

Finally, I was very interested to see the words:
"The large retailers are interested in getting more involved around issues relating to Central Brixton, including possible redevelopment of Pope’s Road Car Park and the Council’s parking strategy, as well as the marketing of the area."
While on the surface this has got to be a welcome development, I am slightly sceptical about the motives of the large chains [discuss......!]

Go on, read the papers. They're really interesting. Honest!
:)

Back
Top Bottom