Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barcelona Info

hatboy

Banned
Banned
Has anyone got any tips on cheap places to stay, airfares and gay life there?

I don't want to go clubbing but I'd like to go to the gay areas as well as seeing all the amazing Gaudi architecture.

What other stuff is unmissable?

:)

It depends how long you are planning to stay but Sitges which is about 20 k south of Barcelona has a very open gay scene , gay hotels , clubs etc but is a very mixed crowd overall ,Carnival is
Feb 20 - 25 or thereabouts and huge , like Mardi Gras , processions, fireworks , dancing in the streets , live bands ,total mayhem , the mayor of the town gives the citizens the freedom to be debauched and behave to excess for the entire week, best days are Sunday and Tues but the place doesnt sleep for practically the entire week. I`m going again this coming year , I love the whole atmosphere of the place.
If you book hotels early enough somewhere around 50- 60 Euro will get you a good room .

Parc Guell (full of Gaudi sculptures) & the Barrio Gotico (old, windy streets with good bars) were the highlights for me.

(BTW don't eat in the Parc Guel cafe unless you like sarnies made of Mother's Pride with stale Kraft - makes Greggs look like the bloody Ivy....)

The Miro museum is also worth a look.

I have found a really cheap airline, go to www.airberlin.com for details, I have just got 4 flight to Palma in August for £160, nearly a third cheaper than any other airline I found, including easyjet etc, they fly all over the place, maybe they might be your best bet for cheap flight to Barcelona but book now if you want ot go in the summer, they fly from Stansted.

Originally posted by hatboy
I don't fancy Sitges, for me it is too obviously a gay resort.

gay friendly maybe but it`s not in your face unless you want it to be .
I`m straight so perhaps I am more tolerant....;)

For accomodation, there's EuroCheapo. We stayed at Hostal Goya which was very good and has a variety of rooms available.

For flights, keep an eye on http://www.ryanair.com/ . They do occasional special offers, we got two returns for £2+taxes (totalled about £40). Warning though, they fly to Girona which is quite a distance from Barcelona, but there's a special bus service which takes around an hour. I think there's more info on the Ryanair site.

Girona itself is well worth a visit, much quieter and more laid back than Barcelona.

Sagrada Familiar is definitely worth a look (and an ascent if you fancy) and as previous poster says Parc Guelle is fantastic (well I thought so).

Walking up to this church on a hill (hang on i'll try to be a bit more vague) that overlooks the city with a big fuck off christ on top. Climb, or get a lift, to the top- quite scary but that adds the the magneficent ambience of the big man on your shoulder and one of the great cities under you...and the sea of course :)

Originally posted by DoUsAFavour
Walking up to this church on a hill (hang on i'll try to be a bit more vague) that overlooks the city with a big fuck off christ on top. Climb, or get a lift, to the top- quite scary but that adds the the magneficent ambience of the big man on your shoulder and one of the great cities under you...and the sea of course :)

Is that the church on Mount Tibidabo, with a funfair next to it or summat? We tried to go there, but the funicular was closed and a certain sister of mine refused to walk up the hill..

Edit: I think you must mean the Church of El Sagrat Cor (the Sacred Heart) - is this it?

63.jpg

YES! That is the fella :) it's a pity you didn't make it up there the funicular wasn't working when we were there either, quite a long walk up and we even had, on the way up, a close encounter with a wild boar!! :eek: :D

I guess I imagine Sitges to be very chic. I don't want chic I want heat, bawdiness and some Gaudi I think. :)

Geri said:
We tried to go there, but the funicular was closed and a certain sister of mine refused to walk up the hill..

It was fucking hot and I had fucking bruised knees....

YOU'RE SO MEEEEAN!!

I wouldn't have tried to make YOU walk up that hill if you had poorly knees!

:mad:

I know you are headed directly for Barca , but you may be interested to know , I just booked 4 adult return tickets to Reus which is 65 k south of Barca with Ryanair for less than £20 each inclusive . Reus mainly serves Tarragona a connection by train to Barca.Never done it before but giving it a try for Carnival.

hatboy said:
I guess I imagine Sitges to be very chic. I don't want chic I want heat, bawdiness and some Gaudi I think. :)
Sitges isn't really "chic" - although I suppose it has its moments.
I've stayed there 3 times and always had a wondeful time - there's certainly plenty heat and bawdiness!
My fave hotel there is the Romantic which is a lovely old building, interesting rooms that vary in price depending on size etc and it is very gay and very friendly.

If you are staying in Barca the Hotel California is a nice gay friendly hotel and very reasonable just off Carrer Feran (?sp) in the Barri Gotic - the old part of the city - and a hundred yards from my favourite bar called Schilling.

I rented a small apartment last christmas on the edge of the Barri Gotic from a gay bloke and that was really nice and very reasonable - he even picked us up from the airport as part of the deal.

Cheapest flights I've always got have been from Easyjet but I travel from up North.

If you want conact numbers for either the Hotels or the apartment I can dig them out for you.

i don't think there is really much of a gay 'scene' in Barcelona, tho most of the place is 'gay friendly'. El Coño Tu Prima , Satanassa, & Capitán Banana are pretty popular & groovy (or were a year or two back).

Also, you gotta do the cablecar across the bay, scarier than looking out of the sagrada familia, its well ace.

Back
Top Bottom