Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

barcelona - places to stay

bosco

i'm a kimberly mikado
we're off to spain for a week, nice little quiet villages near the coast but before that we'll be in barcelona for two days.

does anyone have any recommendations for hotels? nothing too pricey mind but we can afford somewhere with a little class.

thanks in advance.

:)

I've stayed in four Barca hotels (or hostals) and I'd recommend the Espana just off the Ramblas at the top, near the square. It had big clean rooms, swish bathrooms, fancy tiles on the floors and a nice ground floor foyer/reception. It has a recommended restaurant as well. It was about 80 Euros a night.

The other three were dives and if you're only there the two nights it's not worth going cheaper.

I've stayed in apartments both times I've been - but next time I go, I plan to go more upmarket and stay in the Hotel Gaudi which is near the Palau Guell, near the bottom of The Rambla. I can't find the URL of it's website but we went in there for a drink and it looks fantastic!

this is the web site i think Geri used when finding apartments. i have also used it as well. very cheap and the apartments are fairly standard but a good enough base to keep your stuff safe. ours were about 5 mins from la rambla. heres the website

*bump*

Me and the missus are off to Barcelona at the weekend and still haven't booked our hostel/hotel. All the ones mentioned are a bit expensive.

So wondered if anyone had any other ideas (now it's later in the day :))

I found this site which doesn't seem too bad:
www.hostelbarcelona.com

man, it's a pain in the arse not having a credit card...or a bank account.

Fug the internet - I don't want to panic you but you really are pushing for time, being as it's just past peak-season, and the weekend.

You'll have to just go to a listing website, and phone them up. Be prepared for 30% of them to say 'no speak english' by the way, but why shouldn't they, I can't speak Catalan either!

You may have to settle for what you get. Soz.

damn

cheers ernest, oh I'm already panicking. I've only just gained access to a friends credit card later on today so to speak.

I've got a couple of hostels to try and we're pretty unfussy, just somewhere to lay our heads will do.

Might have to pay through the nose for the first night and see if we can find anywhere cheaper later.

thanks for the info.

cheers folks.

the hotel gaudi is a fantastic looking place but waaaay too expensive for us.

i'll look at the rest of your links later. at work right now.

thanks.

Originally posted by bosco
cheers folks.

the hotel gaudi is a fantastic looking place but waaaay too expensive for us.

It is dear - I'll have to wait until I get next year's bonus before I can afford it!

I stayed at the Hotel Barcelona, just off the Ramblas, a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty basic, but clean. Could have done with more that a rickety fan when it was 30 degrees at night, though. Oh, and it was pretty noisy outside until four in the morning, but that's Barcelona, and at four in the morning you should be outdoors too :)

It was pretty cheap (have a look on the Lonely Planet Barcelona website for the number to call about prices) but the staff were on the disorganised side, and twice we had to explain to them we'd booked when they told us there were no rooms left...evem after sending them a series of confirmation emails.

Anyway. It's cheap, vaguely cheerful and bang in the centre of town.

success

just got booked at this place:

Hotel nueva Colon

about 48 euros for a double room, pretty near all the places (at least my mate led me to believe it was). Just booked for 1 night, see how it is and extend if necesario.

they've still got spaces if anyone's interested (bosco)

Originally posted by Geri
It is dear - I'll have to wait until I get next year's bonus before I can afford it!

We're going to go next year.... dunno about staying at the Gaudi yet, though.

We've decided to go back to Amsterdam too, Michaels warming to the idea of us buying an apartment ;)

Originally posted by Becky
We're going to go next year.... dunno about staying at the Gaudi yet, though.

We've decided to go back to Amsterdam too, Michaels warming to the idea of us buying an apartment ;)

I'm going to buy an apartment in Barcelona, if I win the lottery..

right! we're off to spain tomorrow.

staying in a hostel in barcelona and then probably in pensions when we go up the coast. should work out pretty cheap.

thanks for all the advice.

staying in a hostel in barcelona and then probably in pensions when we go up the coast. should work out pretty cheap.

It can get pretty expensive on the coast... Figueres and Girona (inland) have cheap options.

Cadaques is lovely btw. Begur is nice but swanky. Ignore the bits where the english go: L'Estartit, Lloret del Mar.

We've had a family house just north of girona very near rosas for the last 20 odd years, so i know barcelona very very well......

I would seriously seriously recommend the hotel jardi. Its cheap but comfortable, and is right slap bang in the middle of the barri gotic, about 2 mins walk from la ramblas, 10 mins from placa catalunya and about 5 mins from placa real.....

Also this restaurant is great can culleretes good quality, down to earth catalan cuisine, at good prices (last time i went it was £10 for a 3 course meal including wine and bread iirc).

If your going north of barcelona to the pyrenees foothill areas and have any questions give me a shout, i know that area very very well, ive explored a fair old bit from the sea to the mountains and across the boarder into france.

just got booked at this place:

Hotel nueva Colon

about 48 euros for a double room, pretty near all the places (at least my mate led me to believe it was). Just booked for 1 night, see how it is and extend if necesario.

they've still got spaces if anyone's interested (bosco)

sorry just noticed you've booked this place.......

Ive stayed there, its quite a bit of a trek to get down to the ramblas area, and the metro can be a bit of a bugger...... Taxi's are expensive there too..... its a good hotel, but its in a residential area and a bit soul less...... We also found the taxi drivers didnt know where it was, and in the end the police gave us a lift back

Personally having had experience of both id rather pay the extra 7 euros a night i mentioned in my last post to stay right at the jardi...... the jardi is a tiny bit more basic, but when you get up in a morning you're literally overlooking a bustling square with the gothic cathedral in it

It can get pretty expensive on the coast...
Cadaques is lovely btw. Begur is nice but swanky. Ignore the bits where the english go: L'Estartit, Lloret del Mar.

^^ Nail on head

I think figueres is worth checking out, there's the salvador dali foundation there.... Castello d'empuries is worth a look too if you like old medieval towns and whatnot.

Ernesto is back!

Perhaps not. Where did this thread come from?

For those on a budget...

Hostal Sol y Luna is very central. Just off Las Ramblas close to Plaza Real. €15/night with internet, free 'breakfast' and vouchers for a free meal at The Travellers Bar close by.

I fell out with them mind. Stayed there on a night to night basis leaving my backpack. Got invited to stay in a very swanky appartment of a successful fashion designer, so went to collect my backpack and say goodbye. They insisted I had to pay for the next night because I hadn't checked out before 12PM. They called police - I would have lost if I hadn't been careful ;)

Good for a cheap bed. Not good for hospitality.

We've had a family house just north of girona very near rosas for the last 20 odd years, so i know barcelona very very well......

I would seriously seriously recommend the hotel jardi. Its cheap but comfortable, and is right slap bang in the middle of the barri gotic, about 2 mins walk from la ramblas, 10 mins from placa catalunya and about 5 mins from placa real.....

Also this restaurant is great can culleretes good quality, down to earth catalan cuisine, at good prices (last time i went it was £10 for a 3 course meal including wine and bread iirc).

If your going north of barcelona to the pyrenees foothill areas and have any questions give me a shout, i know that area very very well, ive explored a fair old bit from the sea to the mountains and across the boarder into france.

I'm pretty sure the OP is back by now, since they went in 2003.

Back
Top Bottom