Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Championship play-off final: Blackpool vs Cardiff City

editor

hiraethified
Seeing as it's been billed as 'the richest match in club football', with an estimated £90m at stake, it's got to be worth a thread of its own.

So, who's going? What's your predictions?

And what are the bookies odds?

I'm soooo nervous for this one. Come on CARDIFF!!!!

Stat attack! (courtesy of the BBC)

Blackpool v Cardiff

Coca Cola Championship play-off final
Venue: Wembley Stadium Date: Saturday, 22 May 2010 Kick-off: 1500 BST
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio & highlights on The Football League Show. Live on Sky Sports 1

TEAM NEWS

Blackpool have no new injury concerns ahead of the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Tangerines boss Ian Holloway is expected to name an unchanged line-up for the sixth consecutive match.

Cardiff City centre-back Anthony Gerrard, who has missed the last three matches with a calf injury, has been passed fit for the big game.

Top scorer Peter Whittingham is also likely to get the all-clear to play following a groin strain.

MATCH PREVIEW

Billed as the richest match in club football, an estimated £90m is at stake in the winner-takes-all Championship play-off final, which will propel one of these sides into the big time.

We`re happy to be the underdogs. We have been all season, and maybe that brings the best out in us

Blackpool defender Ian Evatt

For Blackpool, who started the season among the favourites for relegation and have not been in the top flight since 1971, promotion would be an amazing achievement. It would also see them go from the bottom division to the Premier League in the space of nine years.

And it would be a crowning moment for boss Ian Holloway, who tasted play-off agony at Cardiff's hands while QPR boss in 2003.

City's extra-time victory at the Millennium Stadium that day took them into the second tier for the first time in 18 years. Now they are looking to go a step further and compete in the top division for the first time since 1962.

Blackpool and Cardiff prepare for Wembley

Manager Dave Jones is hoping to repeat his 2003 play-off triumph, when he took Wolves up. His position at Cardiff was in doubt after their capitulation resulted in them being nudged out of the top six on the final day of last season. One year on, he could be about to seal his place in the club's folklore.

Two years ago, Holloway presided over relegation with Leicester and has had to rebuild his reputation since Blackpool appointed him last summer. His pre-season claim that the Seasiders could seriously challenge for promotion seemed to many to be over-ambitious, but he has been proved right.

While Blackpool have defied the odds to get this far, Cardiff have defied serious off-the-field problems. Their financial future has been uncertain all season, but they now have a chance to hit the jackpot and emphatically wipe out their debts.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Blackpool have won 31 and Cardiff 14 of the 64 previous matches between these clubs.

• Three of the last four meetings have been 1-1 draws, including both this season's fixtures.

• Cardiff are unbeaten in seven matches against Blackpool, winning four and drawing three since losing to them in October 2002.

Blackpool

• Blackpool have won 11, drawn three and lost two of the club's 16 previous matches in the play-offs.

• They are hoping to become the third club to win promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs after finishing the regular season in sixth place, and the first since West Ham did so in 2005.

• Top scorer Charlie Adam is set to make his 200th appearance in English and Scottish club football, and a goal would be the 50th of his career.

• Ian Evatt is set to make his 300th club career start.

Cardiff

• Cardiff have lost only two of their last 13 matches.

• They have been involved in nine previous play-off games, winning four, losing four and drawing one.

• The Bluebirds are hoping to become only the third side - and the first since Charlton 12 years ago - to win promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs after finishing the regular season in fourth place. Leicester also did it in 1995.

• Between them, striker Michael Chopra and the Championship's top scorer Peter Whittingham have netted 45 of Cardiff's 89 goals this season.

• Goalkeeper David Marshall is set to make his 50th appearance for Cardiff.

I can't make a prediction for fear of jinxing it.

Will be watching in the Soccer Pub, Istanbul, surrounded by uncomprehending Fenerbache fans. I always cheer their team on, so they'll be cheering mine. Let's hope it works...

I don't give much of a toss about football but I never ever thought I'd see Blackpool in (or near) the Premier League. They were Tier 4 not so long ago. Fair play to em, I hope they do it.

I'll be there! My third visit to Wembley in as many years. Who would have thought it, eh?

:D

I think it would be harder to compile a list of teams that have not played at Wembley since all this pay-offs FA Cup semis thing started. Even City got to play there against Gillingham!:(

Good luck but I'm kinda siding with Blackpool. I bought the media hype on this.

I think it would be harder to compile a list of teams that have not played at Wembley since all this pay-offs FA Cup semis thing started.
Sure. But not many can claim to have played there three times in three years!

Come on Cardiff. 'Ave em!

As i had a Blackpool season ticket when I was 6, courtesy of my grandad and uncle, and have been a seasiders fan ever since (39 years!) then there's really no doubt about who I'm supporting. Not going to wembley however, saw them lose to Torquay when dave bambers penalty went miles over, and I've now convinced myself I'm a jinx, so it'll be a very anxious 90 mins for me tomorrow afternoon.

Up the 'pool,

Blackpool 2-1 in extra time.

I wouldnt mind Cardiff doing it because they have a lot of Wolves connections but I just think Blackpool will do it.

Hoping Blackpool do it myself, should really be in solidarity with the other Welsh but know some Blackpool fans, used to live reasonably nearby and the idea of Ian Holloway engaging in mind-games against Lord Ferg and especially Benitez is delicious.

Also if you do go up, wont Ridsdale claim it as another reason why some other mug should employ him?

i know & care nothing of football, but tribal loyalties demand i support whoever is playing against blackpool.

good luck cardiff. :)

Hoping Blackpool do it myself, should really be in solidarity with the other Welsh but know some Blackpool fans, used to live reasonably nearby and the idea of Ian Holloway engaging in mind-games against Lord Ferg and especially Benitez is delicious.

Also if you do go up, wont Ridsdale claim it as another reason why some other mug should employ him?

lovely just lovely

Another reason to support the tangerine army, all my husbands family are Preston fans, bar him who just doesn't care either way

I don't give much of a toss about football but I never ever thought I'd see Blackpool in (or near) the Premier League. They were Tier 4 not so long ago. Fair play to em, I hope they do it.

BBC said:
For Blackpool, who started the season among the favourites for relegation and have not been in the top flight since 1971, promotion would be an amazing achievement. It would also see them go from the bottom division to the Premier League in the space of nine years.

Pisses me off all this little Blackpool shit. They were promoted from the bottom division in 2001, guess who else went up that season. Cardiff City, so we will have climbed from bottom to top in excatly the same numbert of seasons, but the beeb don't mention that.

Be prepared for some shit decision stomorrow, i have this feeling we aint wanted at the top table. Funny how we're not wantedd, but a club with average home gates of 8,000 is welcomed with open arms, they're bound to be a credit to the EPL, NOT!

Pisses me off all this little Blackpool shit. They were promoted from the bottom division in 2001, guess who else went up that season. Cardiff City, so we will have climbed from bottom to top in excatly the same numbert of seasons, but the beeb don't mention that.

Be prepared for some shit decision stomorrow, i have this feeling we aint wanted at the top table. Funny how we're not wantedd, but a club with average home gates of 8,000 is welcomed with open arms, they're bound to be a credit to the EPL, NOT!

Fuck it

lets kick their tangerine butts

all bristolians are wankers

lots more but I'm tired

The Ridsdale factor = cheering on Blackpool all the way for me.
Sorry, but that man is a deluded egotist. He'd be insufferable were Cardiff to go up.

:D

You're acting the sore loser already!

I'm hoping that we win at Wembley next week and go up to the Championship. If that happens then I'd like away trips to Cardiff or Blackpool just about equally, so from that angle I'm not bothered who wins. I've got Cardiff mates though, and I know no-one who supports Blackpool. But I'm English. So dunno. Would have liked to have been able to watch it on the telly though- shame it's only on Sky.

Hope everyone has a great day, although I know that half of Wembley won't.

It's horribly tense and it's a shame that one of us is going to be distraught at the end. I like Blackpool and it would be fun to see them in the Premiership, but fuck that! - I want Cardiff to win emphatically today and the look forward to a new season of us (a) playing great clubs and (b) moaning about corporate football.

Come on Cardiff!!!

The Ridsdale factor = cheering on Blackpool all the way for me.
Sorry, but that man is a deluded egotist. He'd be insufferable were Cardiff to go up.

Whereas the Oyston family are lovely.... ;)
Not really bothered who wins this, but i miss the days when we (Oldham) could feel superior to Blackpool and their shitty ground, and watching them playing in the Premiership while we're struggling in the 3rd division in a crumbling 3-sided ground would be pretty painful.

Switching on the TV halfway through an Ian Holloway is a pretty weird experience. I switched over to Sky Sports News the other night in time to hear him saying "It's like when you've finished with your plate, you tidy it up and put it on the trolley for someone to take away". I have no clue what point he was illustrating with this analogy. As funny as it would be to see him in the premiership, given what Dave Jones has had to deal with in recent years he must have some good luck due to him.

The Guardian is the worst. They've got a huge pro-Blackpool article today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/may/22/blackpool-championship-play-off

I remember a couple of years ago there was a letter complaining about the lack of coverage given to Cardiff, and the editor replied saying "we're an English newspaper so what do you expect?"

come-on-cardiff.jpg

:)

Back
Top Bottom