Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Don Letts' Reggae Easter

DreadMeetsPunkRockersUptown.jpg

I owe him one. This fabulous record opened up a whole world of great music to me.

DreadMeetsPunkRockersUptown.jpg

I owe him one. This fabulous record opened up a whole world of great music to me.

He has a regular 6music show at midnight on Saturday's (I think). I always listen to it on iplayer during the week cos he plays such a wide and amazing selection of new and old music and genres. :cool:

I was never a big fan of BAD but his mix stuff is wonderful. I met him once at a free festival in Hackney; really nice bloke.

Is on 6Music now and it's bloody ace. Cheering me right up it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rv58d

Top DJ and all round top man :cool:

May I recommend Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor for a similar, never fail, cheering up magic, with the bonus of not having to listen to some bloke going on? :)

Lovely... thank u. a bit different to the smiths easter i'd been enjoyin up to now

And you! Stick with the Smiths! I was feeling rayt miserable until "How Soon is Now" came on randomly.

If nothing else, what has Morrissey told us about reggae? :hmm:

Hang your head in shame and send all your Smiths rekkids to me as they are clearly wasted on you!

I'd sooner listen to this than the fucking Smiths any day.

Ah well, your loss. I imagine your brane has been all mashed up by all the drugs that I *hear* people smoke to make reggae listenable.

The genius and sheer poetry of Stephen Patrick would probably be just too complex for you. I mean the brilliance of:

There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet someone who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home
And you cry
And you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen now,
When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

compared to some nonsense about Babylon (the sci fi tv programme? the tune by wobbly headed David Gray?) and Buffalo Soldiers? Whut? A Buffalo Soldier? That makes no sense at all. Would be foolish of someone to go into war with a buffalo soldier. How would they hold the gun or drive a tank? :confused:

I've seen The Smiths, pootle. I like them. I thought they were good. But, basically, if you prefer them to decent reggae you're a fucking muppet.

Ah well, your loss. I imagine your brane has been all mashed up by all the drugs that I *hear* people smoke to make reggae listenable.

The genius and sheer poetry of Stephen Patrick would probably be just too complex for you. I mean the brilliance of:

compared to some nonsense about Babylon (the sci fi tv programme? the tune by wobbly headed David Gray?) and Buffalo Soldiers? Whut? A Buffalo Soldier? That makes no sense at all. Would be foolish of someone to go into war with a buffalo soldier. How would they hold the gun or drive a tank? :confused:

A buffalo soldier was a black solider in North America, 19th Century.

Buffalo Soldiers originally were members of the U.S. 10th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, formed on September 21, 1866 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The nickname was given to the "Negro Cavalry" by the Native American tribes they fought; the term eventually became synonymous with all of the African-American regiments formed in 1866
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier
:)

Loves both The Smiths AND reggae :)

WHAT? :eek: But, but, but Morrissey said reggae is vile and we must listen to everything Morrissey says, surely? with the exception of that nasty business with the NF and alledged racism,obvs

I believed morrissey though hasn't made any statements about ska, rocksteady, ragga or dancehall though, which I've been known to enjoy from time to time ;)

Cheers Nipsla. That was great. Just a shame it wasn't as long as his xmas day show :)

I'd sooner listen to this than the fucking Smiths any day.

Or fucking Madonna for that matter! How anyone can prefer her over the sweet sounds of Augustus Pablo or King Tubby is beyond me :facepalm:

I've seen The Smiths, pootle. I like them. I thought they were good. But, basically, if you prefer them to decent reggae you're a fucking muppet.

It's a good point well made. Chaka Demus and Pliers could probably have morrissey and marr anyday. Here I am banging on about poetry and brilliance and that, and I've completely over looked Tease Me.

NVP, you're right. Am clearly a muppet of the highest order.

loved this. gonna have to listen again and note down some of the tracks for further investigation

It's put me in a proper reggae/dub mood this evening

As for Mozzer, I think he just said that to wind up the NME- well, that's what he claims anyway. If there's one thing Mozz is, it's a bit of a wind-up merchant

Back
Top Bottom