Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A day out of control in London

getonit

m thatcher, milk snatcher
On Saturday 23rd January, London No Borders is organising two demos, one at St Pancras to protest against the UK Border Agency and migration controls, and the other at Piccadilly Circus to protest against CCTV and state surveillance.

Exact times will be announced closer to the day, please check here for more details:

http://london.noborders.org.uk/lifestooshort

Whilst they do indeed have the right (within the law) to protest against whatever they like - the rest of us do also have the right to demonstrate against them for choosing some really stupid things to protest against.

Pity they're in two differnet locations, I'm not sure which of their choices I want to protest against more.

Whilst they do indeed have the right (within the law) to protest against whatever they like - the rest of us do also have the right to demonstrate against them for choosing some really stupid things to protest against.

True. however, while they at least bother to explain _why_ they protest borders and CCTV, you haven't done that (yet).

Any chance to hear (read) your reasons?

Not to answer on ajdown's behalf, but I started the cavilling so here's an elucidation:

If we're going to have a redistributive welfare state we need border controls. One, or the other. My personal preference would be to scale down both, but I doubt that's quite where the organisers of this gig are.

CCTV reduces both crime and the fear of crime and is therefore a good thing. It also reduces the amount we need to spend on coppers and makes the criminal justice system cheaper by providing unarguable evidence. Even if there are applications of the technology that some privacy enthusiasts dislike, blanket opposition to CCTV is fuckwitted.

Not to answer on ajdown's behalf, but I started the cavilling so here's an elucidation:

CCTV reduces both crime and the fear of crime and is therefore a good thing. It also reduces the amount we need to spend on coppers and makes the criminal justice system cheaper by providing unarguable evidence. Even if there are applications of the technology that some privacy enthusiasts dislike, blanket opposition to CCTV is fuckwitted.

ok, some quick thoughts on your points:

1. apart from the fact that statistically CCTV solves very few crimes * , a camera does not arrest, charge or judge anybody. you need those people to tackle crime anyway. However you spend money on tech, experts and people evaluating 99% pointless footage, too, so im not so sure about your economic calculation.

2. if you read their website, the demonstrator's argument is that they have the right not to be filmed all day/all life. and i dont want to be filmed hundreds of times a day. the decision if im filmed or not is
not my decision, which i find odd in a democracy. also nobody ever asked my local community if they want that camera in the street.
why?

* http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...o-solve-just-one-crime-Met-Police-admits.html

On Saturday 23rd January, London No Borders is organising two demos, one at St Pancras to protest against the UK Border Agency and migration controls, and the other at Piccadilly Circus to protest against CCTV and state surveillance.

Exact times will be announced closer to the day, please check here for more details:

http://london.noborders.org.uk/lifestooshort

I sincerely hope that no one turns up.

This Island is full end of.

Pity they're in two differnet locations, I'm not sure which of their choices I want to protest against more.

Which shows how much of a reactionary twat you are. Boring dicks like you should be sent to the Sudan to make space for some proper people in this country.

Which shows how much of a reactionary twat you are. Boring dicks like you should be sent to the Sudan to make space for some proper people in this country.

why sudan? don't they have enough problems?
i'd opt for dubai - it's full of twats anyway, so one more won't make a diff....

Not at all. I save my energy for speaking out against things I believe are a worthwhile use of my time.

I consider neither of these subjects to be demonstrations worth participating in. I do, however, consider them worth speaking out against.

No, you don't need to know what I do consider worthwhile. I don't try and "score points" from "comrades" for getting involved in "radical" things by posting about it on here.

People's fear of crime has increased over the last 15 yrs though surely ? CCTV is very expensive too ? Why don't I have the right not to be filmed in public place ?

Other Europeans laugh at how we allowed CCTV to become so invasive.

Back
Top Bottom