Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton history: Lambeth Carlton Club (Granville Arcade/Brixton Village)

editor

hiraethified
It was situated roughly where Granville Arcade is now and appears in the 1894 Ordnance Survey map.

In the 1870 edition you can see three large houses with ornamental gardens facing Coldharbour Lane, and Carlton House appears to have swallowed up the two closest to the railway bridge and been extended at the back.

In the 1898 Booth map it's marked as the Brixton Conservative Association: http://tinyurl.com/nqthou

Anyone know anything about this place? Any pics?

The challenge is on!

Granville Arcade, the last and largest of the three markets was built 1935-1938 to the design of Alfred and Vincent Burr and is named after the developer P Granville Grossman. It occupied the site of the Lambeth Carlton Club

Granville Arcade, the last and largest of the three markets was built 1935-1938 to the design of Alfred and Vincent Burr and is named after the developer P Granville Grossman. It occupied the site of the Lambeth Carlton Club
Yes, I know that. But I want to now what the Carlton Club looked like! Pictures! Facts!

It sounds well posh (there's a Carlton Club in the city) and the houses in that strip looked huge.

oh well done :D

applause1234363884.gif

those people are probably IN the carlton club

Don't worry - I've got loads more. :)

I'm slowly sprucing up the Brixton section and could use some help.

Quite a grand looking building too. If you're still game you could try and find photos of the two posh houses next door -the largest had massive gardens.

Quite a grand looking building too. If you're still game you could try and find photos of the two posh houses next door -the largest had massive gardens.

I initially thought it was that building in Effra Road as it's got similar looks (the one near Curry's).

That's too hard. I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking for :oops: and I'm crap at maps.

Are the buildings in Coldharbour Lane itself or opposite? Where opposite? :confused:

It's interesting how much political parties were major social / cultural organisations around 1900.

Not only was the Brixton Carlton club huge, but the Brixton Liberal Club was enormous - it's the derelict building next to the Ritzy which will become the new Black Cultural Archives building.

It was situated roughly where Granville Arcade is now and appears in the 1894 Ordnance Survey map.

In the 1870 edition you can see three large houses with ornamental gardens facing Coldharbour Lane, and Carlton House appears to have swallowed up the two closest to the railway bridge and been extended at the back.

In the 1898 Booth map it's marked as the Brixton Conservative Association: http://tinyurl.com/nqthou

Anyone know anything about this place? Any pics?

The challenge is on!
from the times, 21/3/1941:
LAMBETH CARLTON CLUB Limited. - Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 238 of the Companies Act 1929 that a MEETING of the CREDITORS of Lambeth Carlton Club Limited will be held at 58 Brixton Hill S.W.2 on Thursday 27 March 1941 at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, for the purposes provided for in Sections 238-40 of the said Act.
Dated the 17th of March 1941
F.R.Phillips, Director

Back
Top Bottom