Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Borders bookstore on Oxford Street to close

editor

hiraethified
Shame. It was always handy for a free read.

One of the few decent stores at the eastern end of Oxford Street is to close. Borders will withdraw from their flagship store, as well as four other locations around the country (in Blanchardstown, Llantrisant, London Colney and Swindon). The struggling book chain last month brought in Clearwater Corporate Finance to advise on 'funding opportunities', which turns out to mean 'store closures'. It is unclear when the branches will close, or how many staff will lose their jobs, but Borders have confirmed that the leases have been sold to a 'fashion retailer'. All the more reason to visit London's many and varied independent book shops.

http://londonist.com/2009/07/borders_to_close_flagship_oxford_st.php

Seeing as security guards are amongst the first to be laid off during a store closure like this, I imagine that Borders will remain handy for a free read, at least for a few days. I will investigate later. With a nice big bag.

Most bookshops are quite happy to leave people browsing their books. They know that people who spend ages reading books in the shop are the same people who spend lots of money on books. I do it a lot but then I know that eventually I will leave with a (paid for) book. Sadly the demise of Borders will leave only Waterstones which I understand is part of WH Smith.

Perhaps there was never really room in the market for another chain bookshop. There is plenty of room for independents though, but they have also been in decline for a long time.

As for photographing a book, I have done that in a library - better quality than using the photo-copier but wouldn't want to appear on the video security system of a retailer while photographing their merchandise.

Been on the cards for a while - theyve been looking for a buyer, but no joy. Worse is likely yet to come.

Good ridance - Borders have been actively union-busting in their operations. No tears shed here.

Shame to lose a bookshop slap bang in the middle of Oxford Street though.

I haven't worked near a decent big bookshop for years now and I miss it. I only occasionally get to Waterstones at Piccadilly or that Borders these days.

:(

I can't imagine the Blackwells on Charing Cross Road will last that long either, it's always nearly deserted when I go in there.

Borders and Foyles on Charing Cross for a free read.

Does anyone know a similar book shop to Compendium (around in the 90s in Camden)?

I'll miss them as they had a good selection of everything. Only problem is that Amazon is still miles better and cheaper. (Although bookstores are always good for a browse...)

I'll always remember the first Borders I went in when I was in Singapore. At least the back quarter of the ground floor was full of Singaporans sitting on the floor reading the books. (It was by a small park so it was excellent for buying a book or mag and then chilling out for a bit at lunch time...)

Won't miss their books section - I've always remained loyal to Foyles on that front in London. But they did have a bloody excellent magazine section & stocked quite a few obscure/hard to get Photog/art/design titles, which was nice to have in C. Ldn.

Foyles have bought the old Saint Martins Deco building (which I love, 'cos I went there :cool:) next door to them in Charing Cross Rd.
It will be the largest bookshop in the world ! :)

Shame as they had a large-ish non fiction range, great for bowsing them going to Amazon at home (!), but that aside, what other large bookstores with a good range are there in London. For non-fiction books?

I'd always found they had the poorest selection of the big bookshops in the west end. I've wasted my time on several visits looking for something that wasn't stocked in Waterstones or Foyles. They just didn't have the diversity of stock.

fuck boarders and their entirely corrupt aim of limiting publications and their starbucksian methods at trying to freeze out independants...

this is a good day though obivously if you work for them not so much but societaily it's a fucking great day...

But Foyle's is still going strong, which makes me happy.

Not me. People I know who worked there in the 80s and 90s said Christina Foyle was an awful employer. Pisspoor wages, dreadful treatment of staff and scant regard for fire regs. I don't go into Foyles.

I don't know if things have changed since she died, though.

Not me. People I know who worked there in the 80s and 90s said Christina Foyle was an awful employer. Pisspoor wages, dreadful treatment of staff and scant regard for fire regs. I don't go into Foyles.

I don't know if things have changed since she died, though.

They have Just a tad - the entire place has been given a makeover from top to bottom.

BTW Christina Foyle was convinced the staff on the shop floor were fiddling, and that is probably why she treated them like shit, but in fact it was her senior managers who had defrauded her of £10million over the years.

http://oxfordstreet.borders.co.uk/store/oxfordstreet/71/

Guess it's already started.

A notice to all our customers:

Please note that Borders Oxford Street will be closing in early August. Your nearest alternative stores are on Charing Cross Road and at Islington's N1 Centre.

Until we close our doors for the final time, we will be selling remaining stock (excluding concessions, periodicals, electrical items and tokens/vouchers) at 50% off.

The Borders ten minutes away on Charing X Road always seemed bigger and better stocked anyway, so it's not too much of a loss.

:eek:

I guess you're right, that explains a lot.

[misses Skoob on Sicilian Avenue :(]

Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be!

Skoob are now hidden in the basement of the Brunswick Centre. You can't get in from the central "mall" of the Brunswick - instead look out for the path between Marchmont Street and Handel Street at the northern end of the Brunswick that leads to the back door of the new Waitrose.

I was pleasantly surprised by the stock they manage to cram into the tiny space.

Oh :cool:

I'll have to check it out next time I'm in that bit of town (which isn't so often these days).

Back
Top Bottom