Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Solidarity with Iran

mitochondria

full-on emptiness
(from twitter)

London demo today: 18:00

Address: Iranian Embassy of London 16 Princes Gate, SW7 1PT

If anyone can make it please go.

Can I have a pound for every shoe that gets thrown, please?

(Incidentally, do Persians do shoe throwing or is it just an Arab thing? Either way I doubt it will stop anyone.)

Is it a pro-Mousavi demo?

I expect it is a demo by those who think Mousavi was cheated of his democratic victory, yes.

I think the interesting thing will be whether the protesters in Iran (not in London) really just want Mousavi as President or whether they really want to get rid of the whole disgusting Islamist regime.

(Incidentally, do Persians do shoe throwing or is it just an Arab thing? Either way I doubt it will stop anyone.)

It happens in India too. I doubt it's only a Middle Eastern or Muslim thing.

Shoes are considered unclean. Many of my friends make me take them off at the door.

It happens in India too. I doubt it's only a Middle Eastern or Muslim thing.

Shoes are considered unclean. Many of my friends make me take them off at the door.

I make people do that. Don't want the filth of the streets traipsed all over my floor.

I've noticed that some people on Twitter have tinted their icons in green.

I suppose it's a shorthand for "I don't know much about Iranian politics but I really, really care."

It is an religious regime that spits its people in the face. The main religious/state authority is telling his cheated people to fuck off.

Given Islam is 700 years younger than Christianity this could be their Age of Enlightenment

No, not "what do Western secularists hope will come out of this", why do you think these protests are based around "islamic vs secular"?

Young people want secular and some of the older people wouldn't mind it either. It is anti totalitarian unrest but the religion is the state in Iran and they will go against certain interpretation of religion by protesting further. That doesn't mean all of them suddenly become atheists.

but when I see an actual flesh-and-blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on. George Orwell.

FFS what is the problem on this forum?

Young people want secular and some of the older people wouldn't mind it either. It is anti totalitarian unrest but the religion is the state in Iran and they will go against certain interpretation of religion by protesting further. That doesn't mean all of them suddenly become atheists.

Not so sure, a lot of the protesters used religious symbols and the protest shout from the roofs at night was "Allahu Akbar". No reason not to support it though, imo the numbers and size of the demos (admittedly hard to tell from the reporting) suggest that thit is more then just young middle class Iranians protesting.

Not so sure, a lot of the protesters used religious symbols

Even the choice of colour of the reform party - green - is Islamic.

and the protest shout from the roofs at night was "Allahu Akbar".

Yes, I've noticed reports of that.

The very best we can reasonably hope for is that the opposition wants a form of Islamic rule that is (i) less restrictive of personal freedom (and so leaves questions of the due modesty of dress much more up to the individual), (ii) a little fairer to women (though obviously there cannot be sexual equality within Islam) and (iii) less belligerent (though more than a few people on this site share the Islamic Republic's belligerent hostility to Israel).

I fear that, whatever the aspirations of the opposition, it's going to be crushed.

I posted this on another thread but it is important so it should go here too

Something you can do. This website http://gerdab.ir/home.php is being used to hunt down protesters. There are appeals on twitter to help take it down.

You can do it with this http://www.refreshthing.com/

Type in the linki and change the refresh rate to one second.

This is not only something you can do but it is important.

Can an Anarcho-Occultist really be so obtuse? Yes, maybe he can.

For a Muslim, the Koran is the very word of God. (It's not like Christianity, where a subset of believers, known as fundies, are daft enough to believe the holy book is the very word of God.)

Read the wretched book. Read it! In relation to women, I recommend, in particular, reading Surah 4 - al-Nisa (The Woman).

Note who is to obey whom - and the penalties for disobedient women. Note the different rules regarding inheritance and custody of children. Note the different rules about who can marry whom and who can fuck whom.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/004.qmt.html

but the koran is open to interpretation, just like the bible

the old testament is also quite adament that it is the word of god and must not be disobeyed, under sanction of, i believe, eternal damnation

so why couldnt sexual equality be achieved under islam, if you believe it could under christianity (which it cant)

is this just another of your dirty little prejudices

Back
Top Bottom