Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Morris dancers mob Trafalgar Square

editor

hiraethified
Morris troupes from all over the country mobbed Trafalgar Square for a mass Morris-off this afternoon - and it was a hoot!

Anyone else go along to watch a bit of bell-clanging, hanky-waving, stick bashing fun?

morris-dancers-01.jpg

morris-dancers-02.jpg

morris-dancers-03.jpg

morris-dancers-04.jpg

More pics soon!

Love the one who's out of time in that second photo.

There was a group here yesterday. We get a lot of morris groups here over the summer, the last lot brought their own tankards and drank the whole pub out of Tribute :eek:

Fact! The 'blacked up' Morris dancers come from the Welsh borders. There are no Welsh Morris dancers. Or Scottish ones, for that matter.

(Least that's what the Morris bloke from Huddersfield told me).

Fact! The 'blacked up' Morris dancers come from the Welsh borders. There are no Welsh Morris dancers. Or Scottish ones, for that matter.

There is/was a troop in Banchory(up by Aberdeen) but I think it was an english guy who moved up there set it up.

Yes, despite the camouflage of Welsh dragons on their website, and green white and red livery, the Isca Morrismen of Caerleon are obviously part of fiendish plan to reclaim Monmouthshire for England [/conspiraloon]

I kind of like Morris dancers because they're so gloriously unhip, and a bit bonkers.

Me too. And they remind me of this party there is in my home town every year. As well as Morris dancers there are climbing a greasy pole (snigger) and football on the mud when the tide's out and cockle eating competitions. :cool:

Me too. And they remind me of this party there is in my home town every year. As well as Morris dancers there are climbing a greasy pole (snigger) and football on the mud when the tide's out and cockle eating competitions. :cool:
Most English people seem a little bit embarrassed by Morris dancers, which is a bit of a shame seeing as it's one of the few truly quintessential English traditions. You'd think they'd see the common ground too: Morris dancers love to run around with sticks, wave things around, drink vast amounts of beer and bellow out tunes.

I'll post up more pics in a moment - it was an excellent event.

I can't stand Morris dancing. I don't believe they are of genuine historic origin, just made up somewhere along the way. But then I don't like any formalised group dancing. I was a Ceroc widower for a while or it may be because I can't do it though and have bad memories of being made to do 'country dancing' in infant school with the teacher pounding away on an upright piano in the school hall.

Good photographs though.

My sister-in-law does the black face morris dancing. She was at the Upton Folk Festival with them over the last Bank Holiday weekend :)

I can't stand Morris dancing. I don't believe they are of genuine historic origin, just made up somewhere along the way. But then I don't like any formalised group dancing. I was a Ceroc widower for a while or it may be because I can't do it though and have bad memories of being made to do 'country dancing' in infant school with the teacher pounding away on an upright piano in the school hall.

Good photographs though.

<ed: removed>

I used to play for a "rapper" side, which is the north east (northumberland, down the east coast into the East Riding) equivalent of Morris.

Here's some: -

The music is a bit more "fast & furious", and just because it's jigs, people tend to assume it's Irish. :)

Traditionally performed at midwinter, the thing where they lock the swords together is known as "the lock" or "the nut," and is thought to be a representation of the sun -- encouraging it to come back at the darkest time of the year.

I spent quite a few Boxing Days on "dance outs," doing the thing and then getting pissed and playing a few tunes in the pub after.

Incidentally, Morris dancers (a corruption of "moorish," apparently, cos of the blacking-up) always refer to it as "the Morris" rather than "Morris." It's a different world. :)

I saw morris men this afternoon. Well, I say men, they weren't all old men with beards which was good to see. They were quite good despite a significant amount of structural bell failure :)

I saw that and it wasn't that bad :confused:
Thanks for your input, but he was clearly warned about his idiotic paedo/Nazi nonsense but still came back for more.

Back on topic, the bloke leading the show yesterday kept insisting that contrary to recent press reports, the Morris tradition is in good health.

Maybe he was referring to this piece in the Times:
The origins of morris dancing are disputed. First recorded in England in the 15th century, “morris” may be a derivation from the French morisque, meaning dance, though many believe it arrived from Morocco via Spain. This may have lent the practice its name (from the word “Moorish”).

Others trace the dances to ancient fertility rites or martial exercises, or see them as a popular variant of the clowning of court jesters.

Today there are four English troupes that can trace their history in an unbroken line back to a popular upsurgence of folk traditions in the 18th century.

In 1899, a time when morris dancing was on the wane, Cecil Sharp, the celebrated collector of folk song and dance, saw one of these troupes, the Headington Quarry Morris Dancers, perform on Boxing Day.

He noted their distinctive music, and would later travel the country recording the various morris traditions, and in 1911 he founded the English Folk Dance Society, helping to spur a revival.

There was a second revival after the Second World War – and another in the 1970s. Brian Tasker, 62, Squire (leader) of the Morris Ring, began dancing in those heady days, at the age of 25.

“It was seen as a cool thing to do,” he said. “Young people were marching with CND, Bob Dylan was at his height and folk dancing was part of popular culture. Every town had three or four folk-song clubs. A lot of people arrived in morris dancing then, but they are now in their fifties and sixties.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5454904.ece
hardcore Morris: http://www.rathergood.com/morris_dancers

:)

fantastic pictures..

i heard a rumour that a certain low profile urbanite has tried his hand at morris dancing. :hmm:

mind you, i'm not sure that i wouldn't like to give it a go myself... u75 morris side anyone?

try anything once, don't they say?

Back
Top Bottom