Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

ISPs start storing user data from today..

AKA pseudonym

ISPs start storing user data from Monday..

Details of user e-mails and net phone calls will be stored by internet service providers (ISPs) from Monday under an EU directive.
The plans were drawn up in the wake of the London bombings in 2005.

hmmm...
Allegedly authorities can only get access to the stored records with a warrant.
bbc

No surprise really..

There was a piece in CiF about it yesterday. The EUroapologists as usual spent their time demolishing straw dogs. Though one I thought actually enforced one of the central thrusts. "Members of EUropean Parliament will have voted this through."..which to be fair is sort of true -they will have voted on budgetary side of it. But MP's didn't debate it, in fact the report could have pointed out that even if they had they couldn't amend it, they lost that power a while ago, only the Lords could have amended it, which begs the question what is the point of an MP?

The Royal Mail is starting to look like the most secure method of communication... ffs.

Just encrypt all e-mail and send one or two bogus ones a month. Silly law is trivial to get around by any determined terrirst.

Silly law is trivial to get around by any determined terrirst.
Exactly. Mr Bomber, when he's not busy browsing Fertilizer Monthly, will use fearsome protection on his e-mails. Ditto other serious criminals. The only people this useless scheme will affect are the law abiding. Like all "tough" legislation, it punishes the innocent while being powerless against the guilty.
And im sure the 'authorities' know that - which makes you wonder.....
Sadly, I think they're as stupid as they appear.

As far as I can see, all that this applies to is mail using the ISP's mail servers (i.e. very little of it) and calls made using whatever VOIP systems the ISP have (i.e. even fewer). There just isn't any way that they can get anything else. I connect to my US-based mail host over SSL - how are my ISP going to get at that? Are they going to parse every web page ever to see if it's actually webmail? Don't think so.

And im sure the 'authorities' know that - which makes you wonder.....
Lacking quantum cryptography it's fairly trivial to secure communication to a point where interception alone is ineffective, have a look at GPG4Win. Course if they get hold of your machine then the passwords will be broken in hours so make sure you've got a mircowave to chuck it in.

Then again even the address headers is enough to start linking people so it doesn't matter to them all that much if you've encrypted, hell it tells them that person A and person B might be worth looking at.

Do you think that this law will end up getting used not for terrorism but to combat much lower level crime such as tax evasion, Anti Social Behaviour, Benefit Fraud etc.

Its so outrageous and yet people are not kicking up a fuss on the whole as far as I can see. :mad:

Just feel depressed and disempowered about the way that things are going.

Do you think that this law will end up getting used not for terrorism but to combat much lower level crime such as tax evasion, Anti Social Behaviour, Benefit Fraud etc.

Tbh, I think thats the real reason they're doing it.

Like all "tough" legislation, it punishes the innocent while being powerless against the guilty.

It will punish stupid people ordering pills using their ISP mail account. It will have zero consequences for the War on Terrar. Its unlikely to have any effect on the War on Protesters either as they all use Gmail...

Sadly, I think they're as stupid as they appear.

If you work in IT and are quite good there's no point working in Govt as the pay is shit. However, there's lots of incentive (ie ££££) for companies to advise the Govt on all things technical and spin out unworkable and silly schemes. The Govt gladly implements things like this to look like its doing Important Stuff.

Well the Tories will get in next time so we will see how "concerned" about civil liberties they are (ho ho) mind you even if they're not as fascistic as this lot, it'll be goodbye to the NHS and what few workers rights there are left....

What a fucking country

I did some despatch riding last year. A lot of the work seemed to be ordinary docs over fairly short distances. Many of the customers were hedge funds. I wondered whether they just didn't trust email for anything that the SFO might want to read. The internets really ought to have put the despatch riding industry out of business years ago, but it seems to be flourishing.

I hate to keep having to point this out, but the EU directive in question was sponsored by the British government in collusion with the French, Irish and Swedish governments.

http://curia.europa.eu/en/actu/communiques/cp09/aff/cp090011en.pdf

It's hardly a case of johnny foreigner forcing us to do this stuff when the Home Office came up with the idea in the first place. :rolleyes:

True but leave and as well as not dragging the rest of EUrope through the mire, [if this directive had anything to do with policing it would have required unanimous support], but would occasion the chance to put the democratic scrutiny circuit breaker back between government and legislation.

Is worth also pointing out a lot of people on this thread have wrong end of the stick. What came in this week was "who is he talking to?" and "what's is he googling?" legislation, not "what's he saying?" legislation. Though the "what's he saying?" legislation is up for modernizing and this legislation provides for a foundation (fuck shaky but these guys have balls of steel) to bypass democratic scrutiny on that as well.

I do tend to see this as the same as eastern European police state opening the mail.
Odd that so few bother about this but if the labour government started opening your paper mail before it was allowed to be delivered there would be uproar.

This is why we desperately need a Fourth Amendment. In America the police have to get a warrant, issued on probable cause, to read a so much as a text message.

Is worth also pointing out a lot of people on this thread have wrong end of the stick. What came in this week was "who is he talking to?" and "what's is he googling?" legislation, not "what's he saying?" legislation. Though the "what's he saying?" legislation is up for modernizing and this legislation provides for a foundation (fuck shaky but these guys have balls of steel) to bypass democratic scrutiny on that as well.

More like: Who is he using his ISP email to talk to...?

And unless Google.co.uk is now an ISP, I doubt the UK police can ask for those kind of details....

Back
Top Bottom