Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

17-year-old girl facing jail because of G20

sunshine1

I've just seen a report on the web that A 17-year-old girl has been warned she faces jail after she admitted attacking the Royal Bank of Scotland building during the G20 clashes.

I'm in my mid 50s and as far as I'm concerned this albeit young girl is a hero and many others that have been apprehend by the filthy police are Innocent victims of the rotten capitalist system. What can we do to support them?

I'm in my mid 50s and as far as I'm concerned this albeit young girl is a hero and many others that have been apprehend by the filthy police are Innocent victims of the rotten capitalist system. What can we do to support them?
I'm nearly 50 and so far as I'm concerned, she is a vandal and if found guilty should be punished.

With attitudes like yours amongst her elders, what hope is there ?

Jail her. Jail everyone who was violent. Including police officers. They are all undermining our right to demonstrate peacefully and discouraging the non-criminal majority from turning out for future protests.

I've just seen a report on the web that A 17-year-old girl has been warned she faces jail after she admitted attacking the Royal Bank of Scotland building during the G20 clashes.

Here's a 17 year old charged with a crime not dissimilar to the one you're praising. What's the difference?

Well, seeing as the "justice" system simply is not designed nor intended to dole out punishments with any correlation to either a) the objective nature or seriousness of the crime or b) with any partiality about the professions/class/political sentiments of the defendants, nick h., your solution is entirely impractical.

You should defend this girl to the hilt, alongside anyone else who gets pulled up for supposed 'violence' from this demo. Their successful charging would be, in reality, much more of a threat to your right to peaceful protest.

Jail her. Jail everyone who was violent. Including police officers. They are all undermining our right to demonstrate peacefully and discouraging the non-criminal majority from turning out for future protests.

I think the police officers cracking skulls is more off putting to potential protesters than a teenage girl breaking a few windows, but the points stands though. Violence just detracts from the message.

I'm nearly 50 and so far as I'm concerned, she is a vandal and if found guilty should be punished.

I agree - but I don't think prison would be an appropriate punishment for a spot of vandalism, political or otherwise.

As a general rule, vandals should be (i) made to pay for the repair of whatever they've damaged and (ii) given what used to be called community service and, wherever possible, their particular tasks should be: removing graffiti, repairing damaged parts of public spaces, painting, decorating or cleaning and tidying and so on.

I'm not quite sure why we're all giving our ages on this thread, but I'm also in my late 40s. (A dislike of vandalism does seem to grow in middle age.)

As a general rule, vandals should be (i) made to pay for the repair of whatever they've damaged and (ii) given what used to be called community service and, wherever possible, their particular tasks should be: removing graffiti, repairing damaged parts of public spaces, painting, decorating or cleaning and tidying and so on.

^^^^^^ this

Is vandalising a church the same as breaking the windows of a bank on a political protest? Only an idiot would argue that it was IMO.

I didn't say it was the same and didn't argue anything. I do think that maliciously causing damage to property of any kind, bank or mosque, is not praiseworthy, that young people doing the damage should not be surprised if they get charged with vandalism, and that older people ought not to praise them for it.

I didn't say it was the same and didn't argue anything. I do think that maliciously causing damage to property of any kind, bank or mosque, is not praiseworthy, that young people doing the damage should not be surprised if they get charged with vandalism, and that older people ought not to praise them for it.

So you compared the two acts, for what reason?

No it's not.The protestor will probably get a stiffer sentence as it was politically motivated

Possibly. Certainly, someone vandalising a mosque would face an aggravated sentence if a prosecutor succeeded in demonstrating that there was sectarian or racist motivation.

Bombing and bombing and bombing a country (and breaking many windows in the process) until there's nothing left but rubble, rags and a big pool of blood and lying about the reasons for doing so is fine though isn't it.

Bombing and bombing and bombing a country (and breaking many windows in the process) until there's nothing left but rubble, rags and a big pool of blood and lying about the reasons for doing so is fine though isn't it.

The seventeen year old in this story is only being charged with vandalism or is equivalent. Nice example of "whataboutery" though.

Possibly. Certainly, someone vandalising a mosque would face an aggravated sentence if a prosecutor succeeded in demonstrating that there was sectarian or racist motivation.

I missed the mosque part in that article

Anyways,she won't be going to prison

The seventeen year old in this story is only being charged with vandalism or is equivalent. Nice example of "whataboutery" though.

You started the whataboutery with your ridiculous comparison-based by your own admission-on the offenders ages.

Back
Top Bottom