Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remembering Twyford Down (M3) road protest

editor

hiraethified
twyford.jpg

It seems like an eternity ago now but at the time it was a mighty important battle against the Tories' plans to implement "The biggest road-building programme since the Romans."

Anyone here go along?

In December 1991 Twyford Down became the site of the UK's first road protest camp when environmentalists, including members of Dongas and Earth First! gathered to hinder work. After a year this first camp was evicted on Yellow Wednesday, named after the uniforms of the Group4 security guards who performed the eviction in December 1992.

Resistance to the road intensified and Earth First! set up a new protest camp nearby in Plague Pits Valley, and continued to obstruct the work both on the water meadows and up on the Down itself. In addition to many actions there was a mass trespass when over 5000 people attended the protests and occupations, and six people were sent to prison for some weeks for defying an earlier injunction not to enter the site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twyford_Down
Few pics here: http://www.urban75.org/photos/protest/twy00.html

I've still got a 'do not trespass' sign from the site in my bathroom!

I don't remember too much about Twyford Down, but I work with someone who was at Fairmile. He knew the legendary 'Swampy' quite well.

I got offered a 'security' job doing the road protests around that time, didn take it though, they were a right bunch of meatheads.

There was a show on TV all about it on BBC4 last night 'Secret Life Of The Motorway'

Some interesting stories - including that one.

i remember that protest on the boiling hot day! on our way there in the big coach from london we got caught in a traffic jam - oh the irony - and to get us there quicker the driver went on to the hard shoulder (to huge cheers)

i remember that protest on the boiling hot day! on our way there in the big coach from london we got caught in a traffic jam - oh the irony - and to get us there quicker the driver went on to the hard shoulder (to huge cheers)
It was unbelievably hot!

A coach!!!

We hatched with bongos and a sign reading merely "Twyford Down". Cue many interesting conversations with our rides...

and I remember Joan Bakewell was filming there...I don't remember a Heart of The Matter coming out about it

it did.

Friends of mine watched it.

I was featured on it pulling up the fence just before we all piled down into the cutting.

I'd love to see that footage...

twyford.jpg

It seems like an eternity ago now but at the time it was a mighty important battle against the Tories' plans to implement "The biggest road-building programme since the Romans."

Anyone here go along?

Few pics here: http://www.urban75.org/photos/protest/twy00.html

I cringe when the coach goes through it on the way back to town. :( I'm showing my age now!

Oh Lord :rolleyes:

The point was to show the strength of feeling, that people cared enough to make a stand.

Yes, the road eventually got built, but hopefully planning decisions are more carefully considered now because of the history of protest.

To be honest, it's not the first time (or the last) I've been involved in causes that appear to "fail" to some extent.
I don't see that as a reason not to bother!

What was the point in the "protest" if it didn't accomplish anything?
it was part of a series of protests that led to the abandoning of a huge road building programme that would have seen lots of other areas of ancient woodland, SSSI's etc. destroyed, as well as leading to car culture becoming even more entrenched in the urban infrastructure / planning....

so while it didn't stop that specific bypass being built, it's not true to say it didn't achieve anything.

so while it didn't stop that specific bypass being built, it's not true to say it didn't achieve anything.

Did it stop the M77?

It's about time someone got on with completing the UK road network - for example, it's a disgrace that there's no motorway link from Edinburgh to England. Maybe the Government'll come to its senses and institute a major road building programme to jump start the construction industry and create some real jobs as opposed to legions of outreach diversity team leaders.

Did it stop the M77?

It's about time someone got on with completing the UK road network - for example, it's a disgrace that there's no motorway link from Edinburgh to England. Maybe the Government'll come to its senses and institute a major road building programme to jump start the construction industry and create some real jobs as opposed to legions of outreach diversity team leaders.

And 'Daily Mail Man' strikes again!

Building new roads when nobody is buying cars.

Smart.

Isn't the conventional bollocks, "build it and they will come".

Don't new roads attract legions of new drivers who never existed before or some such drivel?

Government should learn from history - a massive road building scheme boosted the economy in Hitler's Germany in the 30's.

The Labour crackdown on shirkers and malingerers should help cull the pointless protestors - after all,you can't claim that you were available to work whilst chained to a tree house or that you were physically unable to work whilst asaulting court staff serving eviction papers.

For those of us still able to afford motoring despite the predations of Tony and Gordo's constant cash raids, the space on these fine new pieces of National infrastructure will be delightful.

Toss it out you dirty sod. :D

Cobbles said:
What was the point in the "protest" if it didn't accomplish anything?

JeniD said:
I cringe when the coach goes through it on the way back to town

Didn't stop the road but did it do any good in the long run?
To answer, yes, you have to say if effected the planning of new roads and changed public opinion.

Do you think that you did?

I don't think that this type of protest is much good and don't think it will ever really make much difference to anyone or the planet.

I do agree with environmental issues but think that efforts would be better directed in trying to get new power sources for motor vehicles.

There are a new breed of electric motorbikes slowly coming into use out here now. Coupled with power generated by geothermal and hydro out here these have the potential to make a real difference in both the local pollution from vehicles and general pollution on a larger scale.

Not that I'm knocking your efforts as such, just the direction you decided to take. :)

Back
Top Bottom