Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

16th Feb. Photographers to converge on Scotland Yard (its not a protest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobster

Under the initiative of the National Union of Journalists, and in association with BJP, more than 200 photographers are expected to converge on New Scotland Yard on 16 February, the day a new Counter-Terrorism Act comes into force, potentially reducing public photography rights.

The National Union of Journalists, in association with BJP, has called for photographers to make their voices heard at a media event on 16 February as a new law is introduced that allows for the arrest - and imprisonment - of anyone who takes pictures of police officers 'likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'.

Set to become law on 16 February, the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 amends the Terrorism Act 2000 regarding offences relating to information about members of armed forces, a member of the intelligence services, or a police officer.

The new set of rules, under section 76 of the 2008 Act and section 58A of the 2000 Act, will target anyone who 'elicits or attempts to elicit information about (members of armed forces) ... which is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'.

A person found guilty of this offence could be liable to imprisonment for up to 10 years, and to a fine.

The law is expected to increase the anti-terrorism powers used today by police officers to stop photographers, including press photographers, from taking pictures in public places.

The NUJ has teamed up with Mark Thomas, a writer, broadcaster, comic and political activisit, Chris Atkins, who is behind the documentary Taking Liberties, photojournalist Marc Vallée and BJP for a media event outside New Scotland Yard on Monday 16 February. 'The plan is simple, turn up with your camera and exercise your democratic right to take a photograph in a public place,' says Vallée.

For more information, visit www.nuj.org.uk, the Facebook event page or 1854.eu for further updates and coverage.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=839021

200 named well known photographers is a good number. With publicity there may be others joining in. Lots of London based amateur photographers who have been on demonstrations taking pictures may well identify with the problem and turn up if they are free then.

It is also ten times the number of Anarchists who met recently for their advertised meeting at Conway Hall.

I did wince a bit at the NUJ website headline Photographers Snap into Action Over New Law though. Why do journalists have to do that?

Because you take a picture of the security services you are now guilty of some crime not yet committed? You take a picture of a Policeman that is later involved in a terrorist incident and you are now a suspect - insanity! GoogleEarth and Flickr are more useful to terrorists than photographing the Police! The targets access roads, buildings and escape routes can all be obtained without ever having to visit an actual location. The Orwellian vision is slowly becoming a reality what next Thought Police but hang on a minute we already have them trying to control Muslim free speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_Police

2583153263_268d960c70.jpg

Not only that but you are not allowed to photograph anyone working for the Security Services or the Armed Forces, or who has ever worked for the armed forces.

This means that you dare not photograph anyone who is over 80 because they might have been active in the Second World War. Come to think of it there is also a massive number of men who were conscripted into the armed services during the 1950s. so that probably covers anyone of about 70 years old.

If someone points a camera at me I shall tell them to desist because I used to work for MI5 and they will be breaking this new law. probably ;)

Not only that but you are not allowed to photograph anyone working for the Security Services or the Armed Forces, or who has ever worked for the armed forces.

This means that you dare not photograph anyone who is over 80 because they might have been active in the Second World War. Come to think of it there is also a massive number of men who were conscripted into the armed services during the 1950s. so that probably covers anyone of about 70 years old.

If someone points a camera at me I shall tell them to desist because I used to work for MI5 and they will be breaking this new law. probably ;)

Does that include cadet youth organizations?

So potential terrorist will be able to look at video footage of potential targets courtesy of Sky and the BBC and even iPlayer while individuals will not be able to point cameras at anybody for fear of being arrested :p.

I thinking of signing up to Freedom Revolution Army - is this how the IRA started :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom