Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

POCA re-awarded to Post Office.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
According to Radio 4 news, the Post Office Card Account has been re-awarded to Post Office Limited, rather than PayPoint or one of the other private bidders.

Thanks fuck, says I!

Aye, good stuff. Now that the 'Free Market' ideology has taken such a battering perhaps theres some hope for whats left of the Post Office network.

Govt in doing something decent shocker.

good stuff.

I really don't think they (the govt or the bidders) had thought it through properly. Most PayPoint outlets are used to taking money, not paying it out, and don't have secure enough facilities to be able to have tens to hundreds of thousands of pounds on the premises.

Plus, apparently, Mandelson (as "business secretary") made the rather reasonable point that after the current loss of confidence in banks, the PO is in a prime position to (pardon the pun) capitalise on it's reputation for steadiness and the "bombproof" nature of the National Savings products it offers.

I really don't think they (the govt or the bidders) had thought it through properly. Most PayPoint outlets are used to taking money, not paying it out, and don't have secure enough facilities to be able to have tens to hundreds of thousands of pounds on the premises.

Thats s often the case with outsourcing. I work in the 'third sector' and we regularly bid against Capita etc for Govt contracts, even if we lose the bid we end up getting the work because Capita and that mob dont have the expertise and hire us to do the work.

Plus, apparently, Mandelson (as "business secretary") made the rather reasonable point that after the current loss of confidence in banks, the PO is in a prime position to (pardon the pun) capitalise on it's reputation for steadiness and the "bombproof" nature of the National Savings products it offers.

not thinking through a privatisation/out sourcing properly hasn't always stopped them!

i take your point though, makes sense.

According to Radio 4 news, the Post Office Card Account has been re-awarded to Post Office Limited, rather than PayPoint or one of the other private bidders.

Thanks fuck, says I!

They'll have to come up with another excuse to close POs now...i harrassed my MP about it and he gave me a vague letter back but....glad its all sorted

Good news, there was no way the Govt could have gotten away with privatising it in the current climate.

Like I said above, it'd have been a clusterfuck. I can't think of many PayPoint outlets local to me (and in London SW2 there are plenty of them!) that have secure enough premises to hold large volumes of cash. It'd have been a blagger's paradise if this had gone through!

hey yes good news but i suspect affected a lot by desperation to do something in face of coming crisis .. but still for many many old people villages etc very good news .. and salute comrade mandelson with his peoples post office bank!

Yes it does give the hope that the post offive may remain intact .when i was a kid people who had a few sheckles always had a post office book and you used to be able to get saving stamps not that i kept my in for long;)

Have you got a link for that, coz that sounds like a Business Secretary who is viewing the UK in terms of recent Japanese economic history.

Labour are starting to be Labour!
No they aren't; they're being pragmatic in a recession. There's nothing "real Labour" about that.

The Post Office functions will continue to be hived off to the private sector in due course, and as practicable.

No they aren't; they're being pragmatic in a recession. There's nothing "real Labour" about that.

The Post Office functions will continue to be hived off to the private sector in due course, and as practicable.

Oh bugger, trust you to bring me back down to earth

One of Mr Bell's finer creations methinks :D

toons512.jpg

Back
Top Bottom