Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wrexham and Shropshire: the best railway company in the UK?

editor

hiraethified
We've just been up to Chirk (nr Wrexham) and back using the new Wrexham and Shropshire railway company and the service was fantastic.

The fare was £28 each return, we had a lovely train on the way up with - get this - friendly table service of freshly prepared and cooked food. Loads of locally sourced food was available including absolutely delicious Welsh cakes from Llangollen.

On the way back things got even better with the first class carriage being opened up to standard class travellers, and really tasty meals being served to our table on china plates. The service was friendly and the food high quality, all at a cut down price.

Bravo Wrexham and Shropshire!

sounds good :cool:

I wonder how long companies like that might last though, either before going bust or being bought up by one of the bigger players (e.g., Hull Trains being bought by First iirc) Limited number of routes, services etc. doesn't seem to be a brilliant business plan, but I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, it's nice to see that service like this still exists

wrexham and shropshire railway website said:
The senior steward will serve your food to you at your seat. Bone china, steel cutlery, glasses (no plastic cups!) and linen napkins all complete the effect.

:cool:

The big drag factor is 4 hours between trains in the daytime if they're cancelled. :(

OK, I'll stop moaning about it! I just wanted to have a meal in the restaurant cart.

Claim yer compensation!
7. Making it up to you when things go wrong
Compensation on your used ticket
If you are delayed aboard a Wrexham & Shropshire train, our compensation
policy is:
• For a delay of 30 minutes or more, we’ll offer you rail travel vouchers or, for
awards over £30, a cheque refund to the value of 50% of the fare for the
outward or return portion of your journey affected by the delay.
• For a delay of 1 hour or more, we’ll offer you rail travel vouchers or, for awards
over £30, a cheque refund to the value of 100%of the fare for the outward or
return portion of your journey affected by the delay.

let's do it (get a refund.)

But yes - I'd agree, Ed - that it's the best rail company I've been on in the UK. Good service, cheap fares, freshly-prepared food, friendly staff.

If it wasn't for the fact that the return leg of our journey was cancelled, I'd be frothing at the mouth with enthusiasm for them:D

I traveled with them in the summer, as part of a slightly devious route back from Holyhead.

It was a very friendly atmosphere on board; it felt a bit like a kind of family enterprise - they all seemed to know each other and genuinely wanted to do stuff well. It was quite soon after they'd started running the service so there were still a few things that they still hadn't gotten sorted out fully, but otherwise it was all good.

And of course it's nice to travel on a proper train. And the coaches painted in BR blue & grey for extra nostalgia effect (although I know that's only a temporary arrangement).

It's a bit hard to see exactly how they make much money out of that service, if they do, but good luck to them.

It was a very friendly atmosphere on board; it felt a bit like a kind of family enterprise - they all seemed to know each other and genuinely wanted to do stuff well. It was quite soon after they'd started running the service so there were still a few things that they still hadn't gotten sorted out fully, but otherwise it was all good.
Apparently, they've only got 50 staff!

As you say, the staff were really friendly and it felt that they were actually interested in making your journey enjoyable.

Check out the fabulous meals. On a train! With the carrots tied up!

chirk-train-01.jpg

chirk-train-02.jpg

wow, knocks seven shades of shit out of the crap food on most trains. is it prepared on board, or chill'n'reheat like in InterCity days?

what do they charge if you're not in 1st class?
Nipsla and memespring had a two course meal for (I think) £12 each. Ours was a tenner each. Not cheap, but well, well worth it (the fare was fuck all and we were travelling in a first class carriage with in-seat service and eating off china plates!

not especially cheap, no, but good value for what you'd get by the look of it :cool:

probably cheaper than many restaurants too

e2a: 8000th post w00t!

I am possibly visiting both Swansea and Shrewsbury in the not too distant future. How can I work this meal into one of my trips?

Sadly, Shrewsbury monster signal box is scheduled to disappear soon. I took a blurry pic of it as we passed through.

quimcunx - Wrexham (Wrecsam yn Cymraeg) is in Wales, you plonker!

Sadly, Shrewsbury monster signal box is scheduled to disappear soon. I took a blurry pic of it as we passed through.

quimcunx - Wrexham (Wrecsam yn Cymraeg) is in Wales, you plonker!

I thought it was. Which is why I mentioned a trip to Swansea as being a possible opportunity to pass through it. Embree's authoritively dismissive post suggested that I was foolish to think so, though.

I'm trying to flummox him/her. I've seen his/her Wrexham and raised him/her with a Retford.

;)

Nottinghamshire, England.

I'm seriously taken aback that you don't know anything about the biggest town in north Wales, didn't even know which country it's in

Except I did think it was in Wales. It was you that made me doubt.

Oh well. I expect you'll get over your amazement one day. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom