Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2009

beesonthewhatnow

going deaf for a living
Yeah I know this is a tad early, but they've just announced a major change to the way tickets are on sale:

Fans wanting to attend next year's Glastonbury Festival will be able to reserve their tickets six months earlier than normal for a £50 deposit.

From October, 100,000 tickets will be made available.

Organiser Michael Eavis said they were changing the ticketing system because of the confusion surrounding the sale of this year's tickets.

They will be put on sale ahead of other major music festivals in the hope this will avoid this year's slow sales.

Fans will then pay the full amount on 1 April and if they decide not to go ahead with the purchase they will charged £10

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7522221.stm

Hmm I see ticket price has gone up too, but they don't say how much :(

This might be the last year I get to go, unless I work. I'll prebook if it's not gonna be a massive headache doing it. :)

Part of me just wishes they'd just choose a system and stick with it, rather than the committed having to jump through a slightly different set of hurdles each time.

I don't think that slow sales will be an issue this time around for a start. And all this will do is lead to two rushes on tickets rather than one. On the sneaky side, they're like likely to pocket a few £10 deposits as well

Interesting article, that.

I agree with what Michael Eavis says about there being more demand for 2009. It seems likely from what I've heard. I'm one of the many that feel they missed out this year.

Glad to read this, too:

"We'll probably be going for the more traditional headliner next year because there are more of them around and after this year everyone wants to come onboard because it was such a good do.

I'm glad he's recognised that the lineup was a major factor in poor ticket sales this year. It might have been financial suicide not to.

I'll be going next year, I think. I've not been for over 5 years.

RainCloud.gif

I heard the rain was due to clear up a bit on the Friday, but with wet and windy weather coming in late Saturday afternoon. Any thoughts William?

Part of me just wishes they'd just choose a system and stick with it, rather than the committed having to jump through a slightly different set of hurdles each time.

Well... lots of people over on the (festival specific) forums have been asking about 'early bird' tickets. It maybe a different hurdle for the committed, but with any luck it'll be a little less fraught than the usual Sunday 9am drill.

And (imo), if it does sell out quickly on the advance sale, then good on 'em. With any luck there'll be a few less theives if nothing else.

I'm really pissed off about this because we're well skint at the moment and will be for the next few months because of weddings, birthdays, MOTs etc. I haven't got a hundred fucking quid to put a fucking deposit down for 2 of us. FFS. :mad:

I'm really pissed off about this because we're well skint at the moment and will be for the next few months because of weddings, birthdays, MOTs etc. I haven't got a hundred fucking quid to put a fucking deposit down for 2 of us. FFS. :mad:

Thats shit :(

I was just about to post to say I was pleased I can spread the cost.

Thats shit :(

I was just about to post to say I was pleased I can spread the cost.

I would be usually but £100 is quite a lot for us at the mo. I was going to save money from my payrise (if I ever get it) towards our tickets this year. At this rate I'll be getting Glastonbury deposit money for my 30th Birthday. :(

Oh no. According to Efestivals, the headliner's strongly rumoured to be Coldplay. :(

Come back, Jay-Z, all is forgiven. :(

another load of hoops to jump through then :hmm:

tbh if I go at all next year i'll be stewarding. I really cannot be arsed with the faff and the expense it takes to go to glasto these days.

Oh no. According to Efestivals, the headliner's strongly rumoured to be Coldplay. :(

Come back, Jay-Z, all is forgiven. :(

Nobody really gives a shit about the headliners though, particularly given the bill details available when tickets go on sale. Or if they did, and Eavis really did want to attract all those new yoofs to the festival, the pyramid stage headliners would be very different indeed. Jay Z would be the least of the worries.

Isn't it actually quite a good idea, the deposit thing? I remember when Bloc weekend did this it was a blessing - we didn't have the money in one go, and it helped us spread the payment.

So no fallow year yet then? Presumably that'll be 2010?

I'm going to be working again, defo. It was the best one ever for me this year, Oxfam really made it happen...
It was great being on site early and getting all your wandering done before it kicks off. You're ready to see a couple of bands by then...

I don't mind them offering tickets up early, gives the really desperate ones (with cash spare) a chance to book and forget about the hassle - but totally agree that they should settle on a system and stick with it.

That'll make me a definite yes then :)

Is this a real clash or just a jokey one? Being fairly socially incompetant it takes me a while to know who plays in the other end of the playground because of x - despite being on the board all day most days...

I know TP and Zenie seem to get cross with each other. And Madzone got cross with someone. And Garf and the artist formerly known as Dubversion.

[/wittering derail]

Back
Top Bottom