Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boris's ban on alcohol on London Transport (with poll)

What do you think of Boris's proposed ban on drinking on public transport?

• Total voters

editor

hiraethified
Thank heavens Boris is getting stuck into the really important issues!

Apparently, we can expect drinking on the tube (and, presumably buses) to be banned within a few days.

So there goes one of life's harmless little pleasures.

Travellers will be banned within days from drinking alcohol on the Tube and the recruitment of 440 extra police officers to patrol trains and station platforms will begin this week. Work will also begin on installing airport-style hand-held scanners and knife arches in stations

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/safe-travel-is-a-priority-says-new-mayor-821117.html

Apparently, we can expect drinking on the tube (and, presumably buses) to be banned within a few days.

So there goes on of life's harmless little pleasures.

I have to say that I'd much rather he banned people eating KFC/Burger King on the tube :mad:

Generally (in my experience) I've not really come across much trouble from people drinking on the tube/busses. Pissed people yes, but generally they weren't drinking at the time.

I have to say that I'd much rather he banned people eating KFC/Burger King on the tube
Aye. If he'd come up with a kebab/stinky food ban, I might have been up for it, but the vast majority of people having a can on their way home from work/out for the night are usually no bother at all.

There's enough pissed arseholes on the tube late at night, but the ban isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to their behaviour.

It's been legal to drink alcohol on public transport up to the ;present!!??
Yes. And it's been great.

So there goes on of life's harmless little pleasures.

What an immense sucker of scabby dogs' cocks the man is.

The rest of that article is interesting, especially the ending. There's a hint of the line of attack regarding minority ethnic people and the inner city to come...

Drinking in a public place has always been illegal here. People are rude, inconsiderate and loud enough on buses, etc, without allowing them to swill alcohol during the ride.

Drinking in a public place has always been illegal here. People are rude, inconsiderate and loud enough on buses, etc, without allowing them to swill alcohol during the ride.

It really is not a big issue here at all. The problems with drunks on the tube have nothing to do with allowing drinking on there - they're pretty much always drunk before they get on.

It really is not a big issue here at all. The problems with drunks on the tube have nothing to do with allowing drinking on there - they're pretty much always drunk before they get on.

The cops used to turn a blind eye to public drinking, and the level of public disorder was way higher.

They now have a zero tolerance policy, and the public events etc, go off without a hitch in the vast majority of cases.

I think we already had a big thread about it where the whole issue was explored... but generally, if you're actually _drinking_ on the tube, you're not a problem, yes. You'd have to be on a pretty bloody long tube ride to actually get pissed and obnoxious by drinking on the tube, even allowing for signal failures and diversions to a place you never bloody wanted to go.

The rest of that article is interesting, especially the ending. There's a hint of the line of attack regarding minority ethnic people and the inner city to come...

Hang on, won't the Muslim community be delighted with this? It'll just fly through too, whereas had Ken done this it'd be attracting the usual flak...

This isn't public drinking - this is drinking on the tube specifically. You don't often see people drinking on the tube anyway - it's not an issue worth spending so much money on. It's not going to lead to a reduction in crime levels, as is claimed.

It'd be a sad day if public drinking were banned outright, for events like the New Year's fireworks and so on.

Hang on, won't the Muslim community be delighted with this? It'll just fly through too, whereas had Ken done this it'd be attracting the usual flak...

Time will tell. I've been wondering the past few days how various agendas are going to attempt to attack, destabilise and in time unseat him.

I think we already had a big thread about it where the whole issue was explored... but generally, if you're actually _drinking_ on the tube, you're not a problem, yes. You'd have to be on a pretty bloody long tube ride to actually get pissed and obnoxious by drinking on the tube, even allowing for signal failures and diversions to a place you never bloody wanted to go.

Yup. This, I expect, if one of the reasons that it is so rare to see drinking on the tube - it's not worth the effort.

Except that the vast majority of annoying drunks on the tube are already drunk so this law won't make a tot of difference.

Hardly anyone drinks on the tube and causes problems. It's just typical clueless Tory empty tubthumping (see: the CJA for more of the same).

By the way, the worst place I've been for pissed up annoying people on public transport has been Baltimore, where they have public drinking ordinances. Whenever I got on the damn bus there always seemed to be someone stinking of booze next to me, rambling on. For what it's worth.

(I like Baltimore by the way, nothing against the place.)

Except that the vast majority of annoying drunks on the tube are already drunk so this law won't make a tot of difference.

Hardly anyone drinks on the tube and causes problems. It's just typical clueless Tory empty tubthumping (see: the CJA for more of the same).

As you know, alcohol is cumulative. If you have a 40 minute tube trip plus a walk before you get to the soccer game, you'll already be on your way to sobering up.

Not the same if you drink right up to the stadium gates.

I don't care about the (rather pointless) ban on drinking on the Tube, but the plan to have "440 extra police officers to patrol trains and station platforms" sounds OK. They will be welcomed by many people - especially by the people (many of them women) who feel that the Tube is not safe at night.

Who's going to actually enforce it on the trains, then?

Presumably they won't be able to stop you from getting on the tube with a closed can of beer, and then cracking it open once you're on the train.

This is so stupid.

Then you won't miss it if it's made illegal.:)

It's more the pointless spending of public funds that concern me - all the extra police he's promising to back this up.

40 minute tube journeys are not common, especially when you're talking for pleasure purposes rather than work commuting.

As you know, alcohol is cumulative. If you have a 40 minute tube trip plus a walk before you get to the soccer game, you'll already be on your way to sobering up.

Not the same if you drink right up to the stadium gates.

Dare I say it, but this is just a tad made up. If you want to drink before a match you don't hang around at home and then suddenly dash there at the last minute :D Not unless you've gotten so pissed you forgot.

It's more the pointless spending of public funds that concern me - all the extra police he's promising to back this up.

But you just said that almost no one drinks on the tube, which means it'll take next to no extra police manpower to stop that little bit.:)

Wrong way around Johnny.

People sometimes have a can or two on their way to a football game, but they're rarely any bother at all.

They're far more likely to be loud and annoying after the game when they've spent hours drinking in boozers before and after the pub - so Boris's new law wont make a fucking tot of difference.

When was the last time you experienced problems with someone drinking as opposed to being drunk on the tube, btw?

I'm afraid I'm hard pushed to think of any instances.

Back
Top Bottom