Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

U75's albums of the year 2007

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
Alright you buggers, enough with the bitching, I've crunched the numbers, created graphs and charts and all sorts of interesting devices for assessing music quality subjectively and this is it: the top 30 as voted for by you, the internet geek....

Joint 30

The National - Boxer

519w2R6EXvL._SS500_.jpg

Brooding orchestral indie-rock from a band that finally hit major success in 2007.

Joint 30

Marcus Intalex - FabricLive.35

519ax-GdchL._SS400_.jpg

Smoothly mixed liquid drum'n'bass mix shows that the Fabric releases keep on giving!

Joint 30

MIA - Kala

51zJNzyAymL._SS500_.jpg

That difficult second album for MIA wasn't really that difficult... do it all the same but MORE!

Joint 30

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

61XkYYhPfbL._SS500_.jpg

Please note the kitteh on the album cover and respect the genius that is Noah Lennox. Falling somewhere between college rock, electronica and psychedelia, most of Person Pitch was made using samplers. Top work!

Joint 30

Modeselektor - Happy Birthday

51Ul3hReDFL._SS500_.jpg

Beloved of Thom Yorke, Berlin's Modeselektor release another classic album of glitchy electro, uh, stuff. The album cover scares me.

More in a bit x

MOAR!
I feel my internal controversist gearing up for this one. Not happy about the low positions of Modeselektor and The National... but that's democracy!
edit: though I did have 2 of these 5 in my list.

MIA scraped my Top 20 and she's scraped the Top 30 here :)

Have had the Panda Bear album downloaded for ages but have still yet to listen :oops:

I'm surprised peeps rate that Fabric mix - ain't one of the best ...

Well, I haven't heard any of these so far, and I'm fairly certain that the majority of my choices won't even place :)

Oh, hang on - :(

Joint 25

Boxcutter - Glyphic

51972hr5qPL._SS400_.jpg

Last year's Oneiric also made the AOTY chart, so clearly there is some serious talent here. Imagine swirly electronic kind-of-but-not-really dub and you're pretty close...

Heard Modeselektor and Fabriclive one (shite), Modeselektor is pretty good though.

Joint 25

Broken Family Band - Hello Love

51vMQI-5j0L._SS500_.jpg

Another classic BFB record. Not quite as genius as Welcome Home Loser but packed full of great tunes and dry wit. IMO one of the best bands in Britain today.

cliche guevara said:
With all these joint placed albums, are we to assume that there were less people who voted than last time?

Not at all, there were about 40 people who voted and about 200 nominated albums. Just coincidence I think.

Actually 230 nominated albums, plus a couple that were disqualified for being 2006!

Joint 23

The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns

31Mo9U2UnWL._SS400_.jpg

Once won BBC Coventry and Warwickshire's prestigious Band Of The Month award, The Enemy are what every Oasis fan has been waiting for.

I almost nominated three 2006 albums :).
For the record, they were:

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
Bat For Lashes - Fur And Gold
Mars Volta - Amputechture

Don't know why i thought they were all this year.

bluestreak said:
Broken Family Band - Hello Love

51vMQI-5j0L._SS500_.jpg

Another classic BFB record. Not quite as genius as Welcome Home Loser but packed full of great tunes and dry wit. IMO one of the best bands in Britain today.

One of my favourite bands ever, but that wouldn't even make my top 30 this year, sadly. Too rock, too indie, too samey. :( real shame

Back
Top Bottom