Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My 'mental map' of Brixton is upside down.

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
When I picture the layout of Brixton in my head, it;s always upside down - eg. North is at the bottom and South at the top. I wonder why that is, and does anyone else suffer from the same condition?

Yeah.. I tend to do that.. I think it's 'cos of the hills at the South end - mentally things start up there and then taper off down into the town centre. That and the old postcode argument I guess!

I think of Tescos as the most northerly point, with the barrier block as the south pole, and Brixton Hill to the west.

I'm not getting involved in this conversation as I'm already confused.

But, as Brixton Hill goes UP, I consider it North :p

Enid Laundromat said:
I think of Tescos as the most northerly point, with the barrier block as the south pole, Brixton Hill to the west and Brixton Road going west.
Surely Tesco is nearer to Brixton's most westerly point?

I'd also say that:

Loughborough Junction is it's most easterly (although some would say it's not quite part of Brixton as such).

The junction between Brixton Road and Loughborough Road is it's most northerly point.

Brixton Hill it's southernmost point.

Perhaps more controversially, I tend to think of Victoria as being South London's northernmost point (yes, I know it's actually over the river)!

poster342002 said:
Perhaps more controversially, I tend to think of Victoria as being South London's northernmost point (yes, I know it's actually over the river)!

What about Chelsea or Earls Court?

For me it goes from the top of Brixton Hill and where Tulse Hill meets Upper Tulse Hill (despite that point being slightly more southern than the top of Brixton Hill) to Loughborough Junction in the east and the 100 pub in the West and around about where Jamm is in the North. But this has very much to do with where I go and where I've lived in Brixton.

i think i imagine it the 'right way up' - ie the police station at the top, Mass at the bottom etc - but that's probably because I've almost always lived south of Brixton

scotlander said:
easterly, yes....

When I was living on Plato Road (off Acre Lane which is more or less opposite the Horse and Coaches) and AFAIC and the PO is most definitely Brixton and not Clapham, I met someone who, response to me saying that I lived in Brixton, slagged off Brixton and said Clapham was much nicer. Turned out she lived on Corrance Road.. a couple of roads further east and towards Brixton town centre... :D

Oh definately South, north whatever.. I can cope with this when I'm walking about, but I tend to get in an awfull mess every time I drive there.

Then there's the Herne Hill/Brockwell Park area. Not quite Brixton in my mind, but a contender for it's sourthern border.

oh, god, i just KNEW it would descend into squabbling about where brixton actually starts and ends. I thought this was about what way UP it was

This is how I start drawing a map of brixton if I have to give someone directions. It must be confusing if you're used to reading maps with North pointing up :)

PS: If anyone wants to get a team of covert street painters together and actually mark the border of brixton down, I'd be happy to help end this silly argument once and for all.

Attachments

• minibrix.GIF
    minibrix.GIF
    1.2 KB · Views: 324
Crispy said:
This is how I start drawing a map of brixton if I have to give someone directions. It must be confusing if you're used to reading maps with North pointing up :)

PS: If anyone wants to get a team of covert street painters together and actually mark the border of brixton down, I'd be happy to help end this silly argument once and for all.

The tube's on the wrong side of the road :p

Where would we say that bit of Brixton Road that runs between just beyond the junction with Loughborough Road and Oval is? Is that area part of Brixton or Kennington or what? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom