Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Intrepid Fox, Soho - closing down

grimble said:
Where will the goths go now?

The hairdressers, followed by Moss Bros?

Seriosuly that place is as wanky and elitest as any posh club type place, went in there a few weeks ago, I wander in just fine (I dont look like a goth, but I was probably wearing combats and cons) but my mate gets stopped and gets told he cant come in. his crime? wearing a white shirt, some pressed trousers and polished shoes.

wankers. glad their trade is down and they are being shut.

that place is so shite...

if you're into that kinda hang out, you still have th kro-bar/garlic and salt (those places are proper lax unlike shitty intrepid fox).

london's true landmark was 'the dive bar' on gerrard street. that place use to play all my favourite old jazz records...

Madusa said:
Ive met Edith Bowman in krobar.:D

Garlic and Shots is too small. Grrr.

edith! man, i'm never gonna go in the krobar ever!

yeah...garlic and shots thats the one. i don't mind that place - the people in there are chilled when most bars in soho have wanky dress codes.

as for too small?

you've obviously not been to the tuscan irish bar by soho square (unsure if that's the real name) that looks like someone's front living room...best pub that.

CharlieAddict said:

yeah...garlic and shots thats the one. i don't mind that place - the people in there are chilled when most bars in soho have wanky dress codes.

as for too small?

you've obviously not been to the tuscan irish bar by soho square (unsure if that's the real name) that looks like someone's front living room...best pub that.

Garlic and Shots' food is also gorgeous :D

You'll want to get a cab home again, though, with the windows open.

i think its disgusting they are going to close this and Astoria down. they are part of London's history. same as Marquee etc. its the march of the All Bar One generation. aaaaaaaaaaagh :eek:

I don't know the Intrepid Fox, so it doesn't bother me all that much...my gf said it is "scary" whatever that means and I've taken her to some rough places....Probably just got gothphobia.

The Astoria business is a disgrace :mad: it is a great venue IMHO, and I went to my first ever London gig there

Save the Astoria Petition

maximilian ping said:
i think its disgusting they are going to close this and Astoria down. they are part of London's history. same as Marquee etc. its the march of the All Bar One generation. aaaaaaaaaaagh :eek:

The beer in the Intrepid Fox was weak shite, it was full of slightly scary people, and the music policy was a bit too hardcore even for my dubious taste but I still have soft spot in my heart for the old girl :(

Not happy about this at all :mad: :mad:

CharlieAddict said:

as for too small?

toucan. unless they became an italian bar in the couple of weeks since I was last there :p

they have been going to close the fox forever also the planning applicaitons haven't gone through for change of useage so it's likely to reopen as a trendy wine bar....

grimble said:
Another London landmark bites the dust:
Fuck - that's one of the very few old school rock dives left in the centre of London (along with Garlic and Shots nearby)

ivebeenhigh said:

Seriosuly that place is as wanky and elitest as any posh club type place, went in there a few weeks ago, I wander in just fine (I dont look like a goth, but I was probably wearing combats and cons) but my mate gets stopped and gets told he cant come in. his crime? wearing a white shirt, some pressed trousers and polished shoes.

Yep, I've been treated appallingly in there too, haven't been back since. I clearly didn't look "rawk" enough for them. Twats.

Hasn't this nearly closed many times before?

I used to go there a lot about seven or eight years ago. I think I liked one of the bar ladies. I nearly got somewhere too!

ivebeenhigh said:

Thats a shame, I used to see quite a few suits in there.

Even though i never really had a good time in there and enjoy Garlic and Shots much more it sicks to see such a legendary London landmark go. :mad:

Magneze said:
Yep, I've been treated appallingly in there too, haven't been back since. I clearly didn't look "rawk" enough for them. Twats.
I've never had any trouble and I used to be a there a fair bit in the late 90's. I would go in after work; suit and tie. I did have long hair and would sing along to most of the music. ;)

I'm sad it's going. :(

maximilian ping said:

Innit. It is named after Charles James Fox, perhaps the greatest ever British politician. Presumably it dates from his era--the late eighteenth century. To demolish it would be a crime.

editor said:
Fuck - that's one of the very few old school rock dives left in the centre of London (along with Garlic and Shots nearby)

Exactly.I drink there about 2-3 times a week.That's so so shite :(

I don't always go in there looking my usual punk self,but it depends on where i've been that day.Whenever my dad want's to have some sort of heart to heart we always meet there and we just chat up the bar maids :cool:

He looks like any average joe and we've met in there at least 5-6 times when he's been wearing his standard boring clothes (orange polo and jeans :rolleyes: ).I've never seen anyone get kicked out there for not "rawk" looking rock enough.

Im gutted about that :(

hmm.. I haven't been surrounded by metallers and goffs since we got back from sziget

so anyone fancy an urban trip?

onemonkey said:
hmm.. I haven't been surrounded by metallers and goffs since we got back from sziget

so anyone fancy an urban trip?
i'd be up for this, if it wasn't a school night, natch.

It was ok about 12-15 years ago but its become more and more of a naff tourist attraction. Did see someone jump out of the first floor window in there once. to be honest my rock pub of choice is now the crobar. The astoria isn't that wonderful though (hasn't that supposed to have been on the verge of closing down for years), however turning the old marquee into a bloody wetherspoons still fills me with rage

I love the Fox, me - I've been in besuited and not. One of the friendliest, politest and least tossy crowds of pubs around there, I always thought. Haven't been back for a while but I shall have to do so.

Back
Top Bottom