Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF is that in the sky?!! (Noctilucent clouds over Brixton!)

editor

hiraethified
It looks like the Aurora Borealis or something?!!

(I know it can't be - but it looks like it)

Look north towards town from Brixton.

Here's a pic.

cloud.jpg

Spooky!

wow - they do look like northern lights don't they :)

I thought I read somewhere that due to climate/atmosphere changes that the northern lights were to become more common over your country.

First time I saw the northern lights, I thought it was an alien attack. Wasn't as pretty as the ones in your pictures though. That looks awesome.

Can't see it from E2 :(

The couple of times I've seen Northern Lights (from Edinburgh and Inverness) they were more like the traditional curtains.

It is possibly the Sun - which is in the North-North-East at the minute - to light up some very, very, high cloud?

Or are there in fact flying saucers emerging from the cover of whatever-it-is?

"One more thing - don't cross the streams."
"Why not?"
"It would be bad."
"I'm a little fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing...."
"Imagine all life as you know it suddenly ending as every particle in your body explodes outward at the speed of light."
"Ok, that would be bad. Important safety tip. Thanks Egon."

:D

I did notice the sun set at about 10 was a bit weird so maybe there is some kind of meteorogical (sp!!) funny goings on. :cool:

Nice pics!

It looks the same as the sky above the christmas lights on oxfordsetreet a couple of years ago (you could see those from Streatham). Maybe a stadium or something?

We saw it in Royston (North Herts) as well, I think.

It didn't look quite that impressive from where I was though.
The sunrise was good this morning.

:)

memespring said:
Maybe a stadium or something?
At 2.30am?!!

:D

I've never seen any lights in that area and it was slowly moving eastwards so I'm fairly sure it was a natural phenomenon. But a fucking weird one!

editor said:
It looks like the Aurora Borealis or something?!!

(I know it can't be - but it looks like it)

Look north towards town from Brixton.

They can be seen as far south as the French riverra on very rare occasions. However that normally happens around a sunspot peak and (from my days as a SW radio anorak :D ) I know we are at a solar minimum around now.

Some form of lightning perhaps?

kingmaker said:
They can be seen as far south as the French riverra on very rare occasions. However that normally happens around a sunspot peak and (from my days as a SW radio anorak :D ) I know we are at a solar minimum around now.

Some form of lightning perhaps?

Also: if it were the Aurora Borealis, would it be moving? :confused:

Definitely looks like the northern lights - I saw them in Ramsgate a couple of years ago and obviously thought "it can't be that" as, well, it was Ramsgate. But apparently they have been seen as far south as Dover. Usually associated with cold clear nights though, rather than summery evenings.

Nice pic. :)

The ones I saw were moving around a bit tho - streaking across the sky in stages rather than just sitting in one place.

Would be brilliant if they were the Northern Lights. There was a report earlier in the year that said London could see them.

However, looking at a Northern Lights website, it says on a scale of 1-10

"Based on satellite measurements, auroral activity on Earth right now is: 1/10" :(

acid priest said:
Also: if it were the Aurora Borealis, would it be moving? :confused:

Absolutely. Have you never seen them on tv?

"Aurora borealis are always moving because of the constant changing of interaction between the solar wind and the earth's magnetic field."

I knew that :oops:

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Would be brilliant if they were the Northern Lights. There was a report earlier in the year that said London could see them.

However, looking at a Northern Lights website, it says on a scale of 1-10

"Based on satellite measurements, auroral activity on Earth right now is: 1/10" :(

Couple of reports here for Dorset and Warwickshire in the last month or so.
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/cgi-bin/view_reports?mode=all

I still think it is unlikely though.

i think it is the northern lights, i've been tracking them recently and its not unusual for them to come as far south as streatham.

and there was a bit of a blip in the geomag readings this morning.

Back
Top Bottom