Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace - news and discussion

sonik

a boBBob
What's it like? Really!
I went there on Saturday and had a brief look around the Crystal Palace Triangle but it was raining so didn't hang around to long. Saw a whole bunch of pubs. Which ones are the best and which should be avoided, saw one called the Postal Order that looked like the one to avoid and one called the White Hart that pretty looked good.

Ianw already mentioned a good curry house up there (can't remember the name) although not a huge fan of the old curry tbh.

Any Crystal Palace knowledge would be greatly receive, pros and cons :)

why the sudden interest?

this is about the third or fourth "what's crystal palace like?" thread.

thinking of moving?

There really isn't much to look at, apart from a couple of second-hand / book shops and noodle time, it is just another place you drive through on your way to greener pastures.... like Belushi stated the dinosaurs!

tommers said:
why the sudden interest?

thinking of moving?
Thinking about a move and trying to check out as many new places as possible.
Seemed like a nice place on first impressions.

Over fucking rated
A strip of smart diners, the streets patrolled by inbreed feral knock off sports apparel draped shaven headed half wits
Lovely

hipipol said:
Over fucking rated
A strip of smart diners, the streets patrolled by inbreed feral knock off sports apparel draped shaven headed half wits
Lovely

Charming!

So glad that you haven't come to any of our Crystal Palace meets! :rolleyes:

I'm biased cos I'm a dedicated SE Londoner.

CP is top - more than your fair share of good pubs and restaurants. Bit lacking for shops of much interest (warrior CD store and bookseller crow being the obvious exceptions). White Hart/Black Sheep/Bluebottle all rate on the 'trendy'-pubometer, Alma for 'quirky', Albert and Railway Bell for traditional. The subterranian bar at Numidie is the best place for a drink in my opinion.

Great park. Fantastic views over London.

Affordable (by London standards) rentals/property

Surprisingly (for the tube-addicted) good transport, although an encyclopedic knowledge of train timetables will help you maximise this.

A friend of mine has just moved from Brixton into a place off Central Hill. Doesn't seem a bad area, lots of greenery. Seemed to be plenty of places to eat out. Anyone been in the tapas bar next to wetherspoons, is it worth a visit?
On the way back from visiting her at the weekend I noticed that there was a farmers market in the park, I assume that's a regular thing?

I'll see what she says after a few weeks of living there.

Sweetpea said:
A friend of mine has just moved from Brixton into a place off Central Hill. Doesn't seem a bad area, lots of greenery. Seemed to be plenty of places to eat out. Anyone been in the tapas bar next to wetherspoons, is it worth a visit?
On the way back from visiting her at the weekend I noticed that there was a farmers market in the park, I assume that's a regular thing?

I'll see what she says after a few weeks of living there.

Yeah, but it's not the best tapas bar in the region for vegetarians, I am afraid. Popular, though, so I guess it is okay for non-veggies :)

Yes, the Farmer's Market is monthly.

see i think it's alright.A bit over rated but that bloody sports centre has brought the whole area down.and the bus station.

i only live in sydenham but i go to the part a hell of a lot.the longboard scene is pretty good up there.The parks decent in any season.The only place i ever go up there is pizza express and dojy skateshop...

bit scary at night but then again most place are

it's rubbish. don't move there. dangerous, crowded and the houses are really expensive. no good shops, shit transport and vampires feast on your virgin neck every single night.

not really, but if this immigration continues then we won't be able to buy our house

RUBBISH!!!

tommers said:
it's rubbish. don't move there. dangerous, crowded and the houses are really expensive. no good shops, shit transport and vampires feast on your virgin neck every single night.

not really, but if this immigration continues then we won't be able to buy our house

RUBBISH!!!

:D

We've bought ours already so bring on the migrants I say :p

tommers said:
why the sudden interest?

thinking of moving?

sonik = alan curbishley...

sonik said:
What's that supposed to mean?

alan curbishley was manager of charlton.

iain dowie was manager of crystal palace.

curbishley resigned a couple of weeks ago, dowie resigned today.

so they are saying that alan curbishley may be moving to palace. same as you.

so therefore, ipso facto, quid pro quo - you are alan curbishley. :)

tommers said:
alan curbishley was manager of charlton.

iain dowie was manager of crystal palace.

curbishley resigned a couple of weeks ago, dowie resigned today.

so they are saying that alan curbishley may be moving to palace. same as you.

so therefore, ipso facto, quid pro quo - you are alan curbishley. :)
Ahhhh football, i don't do football, although the world cup can be interesting:) Thanks for explaining it.

My friends and I have been going out in Crystal Palace a lot more recently as our inexorable move southwards continues. - None of us could afford to buy in Brixton, and have been gradually moving out towards Streatham, West Norwood, Gipsy Hill etc. This in turn, necessitates re-evaluating where you go out for a pint. Seeing as Streatham and West Norwood have a dearth of half decent pubs / bars, Crystal Palace has proved relatively welcoming with a good choice of restaurants and a few pubs worth going to.

The area is definately on the up, the triangle itself in particular as it has such a large catchment area.

An area to be avoided if you are not a fan of hills.

I used to live at the bottom of Anererly Hill and use to run up huge overdue fees with Blockbuster because I could never be arsed to walk up (a virtually vertical hill) to take videos back.

The train service from CP is shit after 8pm as well (unless they have changed it - this was back in 1996)

PAL-ACE! PAL-ACE! :cool:

There isn't nearly enough nightlife (you wouldn't go there for a serious night out) and there are a few dingy boozers (and that includes the Puzzle) but I love it. It's like a section of central London cut and pasted in the suburbs, but minus the madness. Brilliant park, despite having been neglected for years by Bromley council - and flawed by the hopefully-soon-to-be-demolished sports centre and associated shithole buildings. And the TV mast is c:cool::cool:l as fuck.

Best pubs:

The Alma
The Numidie basement
The White Hart
The Royal Albert
the Black Sheep
The Bluebottle (but avoid on weekend nights!)

Best cafes:

ABC
Domali
Cafe Lava

Best restaurants:

Gurkha Cottage
Lorenzo's
Il Ponte
Miu Miu

Best recording studio-cum-guitar/skateboard shop

Antenna

PacificOcean said:
An area to be avoided if you are not a fan of hills.

I used to live at the bottom of Anererly Hill and use to run up huge overdue fees with Blockbuster because I could never be arsed to walk up (a virtually vertical hill) to take videos back.
It's great exercise though. :cool: I walk round the park perimeter roads (which include Anerley Hill) every/every other evening - It's a 1:7 to be precise. It's certainly a pain in the arse if you haven't reckoned on it, although there are buses up to the triangle literally every two minutes. It might not have been there since the '50s, but I mourn the passing of the high level station. :(

oicur0t said:
it's closed on tuesdays.

Not so much closed as relocated to the Black Sheep public house. ;)

Back
Top Bottom