Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alfie Howard has died aged 93

who are they going to get to headline the windmill park festival this year then?
9 July won't be the same without him

twisted said:
who are they going to get to headline the windmill park festival this year then?
9 July won't be the same without him

Never went to the Festival but I remember meeting him with my grandfather (who was also called Alfie) :D

erm, famous Brixton residents? ho hum.... :D

festtext.jpg

Who would suit wearing red ;)

That's made me really sad. :( I hadn't seen him in the pubs for a while, but used to see him all the time!! He once showed me his photo album and he really had met a lot of people all over the world!!

I'm sure he's ringing his bell in the sky and enjoying a pint.

I wonder if they'll have a big old funeral for him - he should have the horses with feathers on their heads type affair!!

What sad news. :(
But 93 and what a life.
RIP Alfie, I'll raise a glass to you tonight in Zurich, where I'm sure you've been in all your glory at some point!

Sorry to hear this. Alfie was always a real tonic at any event he came along to.

People had been asking me only this week how to invite him along to events
this summer.

shame :( , but like others have already said 93, not bad.

first time my parents came to brixton i met them outside the tube station, through all the usual hussle n bussle and people trying to sell them travelcards/drugs/reggae tapes/incense, walked Alfie in his bright red coat. "oh that's just the town crier" i said as we walked away. the look on my dad's face :D

I never met him or even saw him, but Mrs Magpie has told me (and Urban) loads about him -- a real character :( :(

gaijingirl said:
I wonder if they'll have a big old funeral for him - he should have the horses with feathers on their heads type affair!!

Lets hope so ....

that's really sad news.

A quality geezer, I met him a few times, he'd stop and talk to anyone, so friendly. He used to love showing everyone his photos and he had this special one stuck on a card which showed him meeting princess diana when she was fairly young :cool:

a real local character. lived in brixton all his life I think.

RIP Alfie :(

how very, very sad. alfie was one of the manor's true characters, and a wonderful asset to the place.
RIP guv'nor :(

Thats so sad, he used to come in to the Bar I managed on Coldharbour lane(about 2002) pretty much every Fri night around 6ish for 1/2 a Stella & to 'ring' in the weekend with his bell.

God rest his soul, a good, kind hearted chappie.

:(

Utopia said:
Thats so sad, he used to come in to the Bar I managed on Coldharbour lane(about 2002) pretty much every Fri night around 6ish for 1/2 a Stella & to 'ring' in the weekend with his bell.

God rest his soul, a good, kind hearted chappie.

:(

Half of Stella??

Always imagined him to be a traditional ale man ....

Will be back in london by the 8th so will be be at the funeral for the old boy..... crikey, 93? last time i saw him he looked much younger than i felt (And im only 27).

Raising a glass here in Bangkok to him too, i'm quite sure he made it down here at some point during his illustrious career.

RIP Alfie. A good soul.

a real local character. lived in brixton all his life I think.

He told me he'd been brought up on Tunstall Rd (if my memory serves OK), he also told me he made that outfit himself. He was indeed one of the most amiable and welcoming faces in Brixton.

Dear Alfie RIP

Me and Nipsla just got back from the 20th birthday of the Workers Beer Company and in the film they showed there was a great shot of Alfie dancing around at an anti racist gig on clapham common (in full regalia, c. 1985).

Wish I had had the chance to meet him. :(

gawd bless 'im, may he rest in peace!

i hope that his collection of photos and memorabilia get preserved some how, they were fascinating - a veritable catalogue of notable lambeth personalities and visitors, nearly all autographed.

someone told me the details of the funeral today though i'm not sure i recall the details entirely.... Monday 8th, 12:30 at Norwood Cemetary(?) with a reception at Lambeth Town Hall at 2pm. Pretty sure those times are correct although not sure about the cemetary - West Norwood Cemetary(?) - is there only one?

miss minnie said:
gawd bless 'im, may he rest in peace!

i hope that his collection of photos and memorabilia get preserved some how, they were fascinating - a veritable catalogue of notable lambeth personalities and visitors, nearly all autographed.

someone told me the details of the funeral today though i'm not sure i recall the details entirely.... Monday 8th, 12:30 at Norwood Cemetary(?) with a reception at Lambeth Town Hall at 2pm. Pretty sure those times are correct although not sure about the cemetary - West Norwood Cemetary(?) - is there only one?

West Norwood is very well known. In fact, nearly every funeral I've been to has been there

Surprised the national press hasn't picked up on this story

Back
Top Bottom