Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chavez Seeking to Peg Price of Oil

slaar

Now this is interesting, Chavez continuing his attacks on unrestricted free markets anyway he can:

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1745467,00.html

I'd like some input from somebody who knows more about the oil industry than me to give me an opinion.

Basic economics tells you that if the world price is above $50 that means more peope will demand Venezuelan oil than Venezuela can supply at any one time, so presumably he's suggesting some kind of rationing system based on Venezuelan foreign policy objectives, which seem to include major reform of the IMF and international institutions, and a push towards more of the major investments in social welfare that he has been undertaking in Venzuela. It's certainly an interesting suggestion though.

This is interesting. Key thing for me is that Venezuela has large reserves of heavy crude, extra-heavy and bitumen which are more expensive to turn into something useful than e.g. most middle-east oil.

So it looks like he's trying to develop a stable, long-term plan for developing those resources, unaffected by market fluctuations.

Here you go. An oil industry analysis of Orinoco unconventionals. Total have been quite prominent in looking for ways to exploit unconventional resources.

http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/publications/default/tech_papers/17th_congress/3_1_04.asp

The interesting gap in almost all such analyses though, is that they tend to talk about 'economically recoverable' rather than energy return on energy invested, so these estimates may be unrealistic in terms of physics and engineering, if not in terms of economics.

Acccording to the Guardian story, Chávez will be interviewed on BBC's Newsnight tonight (Monday) !

Was it me or was that journal showing an impressive level of competency in laying into that Bush cuntfucker?!? :eek: :D :cool:

Mebbe I'm being thick, but since when did Venezuela become a part of the Middle East? I know Chavez is ambitious, but I don't think even he has tried playing about with the continents yet ;)

In Bloom said:
Mebbe I'm being thick, but since when did Venezuela become a part of the Middle East? I know Chavez is ambitious, but I don't think even he has tried playing about with the continents yet ;)
I too am slightly puzzled by the choice of forum, but it's an interesting topic anyhow.

In Bloom said:
A temporary aberration, was going to ask for it to be moved but didn't get round to it.

Back
Top Bottom