Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Moving stuff to Barcelona

t0bytoo

I need to move some plastic crates and suitcases. About 10 pieces in all. From London to Barcelona.

Anyone got any good tips on finding movers or freight companies to do this? I just had a quote for 1600 quid, so am obviously looking in the wrong places.

Also, in the market for a 2-3 bed flat, if anyone knows of one for short or long term rent.

cheers.

p.s. It´s lovely here ;-)

I just had a quote for 1600 quid
Ooof!

Wouldn't it be cheapest just to hire a van and drive the stuff there yourself? If you don't fancy the Channel Tunnel and driving all the way down through France, you could get a car ferry to Bilbao. Bilbao to Barcelona is less than 400 miles.

JHE: I am also thinking of buying a cheap lhd van and driving down, but not sure i can be bothered. And hiring a van looks pretty costly

The website looks excellent!

Thanks!

t0bytoo said:
Also, in the market for a 2-3 bed flat, if anyone knows of one for short or long term rent.
good luck with this. there's a lot of shit around. hopefully you speak spanish you'll get a better deal.
if you're looking at the budget end of the market (650-800€) try loquo.com

I can't offer any advice only to say $2500 US will buy you a 40 foot container travelling from Hong Kong to the UK. :eek: So I guess you are being ripped off!

Tobytoo, would I be correct in thinking that this is an Eramus motivated sojourn? If so, you might want to try (if you haven't already) the Barcelona Housing Service for Students (and that's the original name!)

Website here: http://www.bcn-housing-students.com/

We were flat hunting in Bcn in January, and were appalled to discover that local estate agents will charge you their fee in advance of giving you any addresses to have a look at. Which effectively means that once you've paid up front with an agency, you are bound to them unless you want to lose that 400euros and try somewhere else. Feckin gobshites. BHSS will charge you an agency fee, but only after you have found somewhere, and their stuff was ok, we got a rocking little studio flat right across the road from the cathedral for about 550/month.

<sigh> wish I was back there...

Can't help with the shipping query tho. We travelled light :)

t0bytoo said:
I just had a quote for 1600 quid, so am obviously looking in the wrong places.

:eek: Rip off!

We've just been quoted CHF 1500 for a 5 cubic metre crate from London to Zurich - that's about £680.

Well thinks looking up. Got a realistic shipping quote for about 300 quid, and saw 7 apartments today.

The mind boggles. Yep. Lots of crap out there, but loquo.com does seem to be the best resource out there.

Seems hard to see a place that doesn´t come through an agent, but hopefully will find one. On the upside, though, checking out a friend of a friend´s sublet tomorrow. Three bedroom flat for 750 euros.

Fortunately I speak passable spanish and my girlfriend is from Madrid. (othere cultural issues with that!)

t0bytoo said:
Seems hard to see a place that doesn´t come through an agent, but hopefully will find one. On the upside, though, checking out a friend of a friend´s sublet tomorrow. Three bedroom flat for 750 euros.
sounds good. where abouts is it?
one thing. it actually gets pretty cold in winter so if it's big you'll probably need heating.
good luck.

mrkikiet said:
sounds good. where abouts is it?
one thing. it actually gets pretty cold in winter so if it's big you'll probably need heating.
good luck.

It´s in Valcarca. With a lovely view. And it´s got heating ;-)

t0bytoo said:
JHE: I am also thinking of buying a cheap lhd van and driving down, but not sure i can be bothered. And hiring a van looks pretty costly

Whatever you don't ask what fuel compsumtion you will get

I need to move some plastic crates and suitcases. About 10 pieces in all. From London to Barcelona.

Anyone got any good tips on finding movers or freight companies to do this? I just had a quote for 1600 quid, so am obviously looking in the wrong places.

cheers.

p.s. It´s lovely here ;-)

Back
Top Bottom