Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

jam making...

eme

turn a frown upside down!
anyone know how to? would it be a good idea / possible to make some at a craft club meet up?
:)

not sure if it's your bag but Lidl had electronic fruit preservation kit in there last week, about £20-25 iirc, had room for loads in there!

eme said:
anyone know how to? would it be a good idea / possible to make some at a craft club meet up?

Possible but we'd need a big kitchen.... I wanted to do a sushi master class... but kind of fell down on the kitchen thing... although actually if I bring my rice cookers and loads of precooked rice we could do it (not in a kitchen).

Anyway, sorry, complete derail... I'm definitely up for jam making!!

Lidl said:
Fruit Preserver
Electric preserver pot with lid. 27 litre capacity – fits max 14 preserving jars. With 2-layer acid resistant inner enamel coating. Variable temperature control with juice extractor. Overheat protection.
05_4290_s.gif

actually £29.99 :oops:

it was part of Aug 1st offers but I saw one in one of our stores this week...

easy g said:
05_4290_s.gif

actually £29.99 :oops:

it was part of Aug 1st offers but I saw one in one of our stores this week...

ooh.. well done, just had a look and couldn't see it.

*must desist from buying yet another kitchen gadget*
*must desist from buying yet another kitchen gadget*

Oooh that looks great I bet it makes wicked marmalade too :oops:

*Licks lips and thinks about seville marmalade on hot brown toast*

zenie said:
Licks lips and thinks about seville marmalade on hot brown toast

yum!

hmm surely it might be possible to do it in a normal kitchen? I bet it'd be ok here... just have to be organised! one lot in the living room making nice labels, the other lot spooning hot fruit into jars and then with the pop of a cava cork, all change... :D
It's just I have no idea how to make it... :confused:

surely it's best to learn how to make something before going out and spending cash on a gadget to make it easier. I'm not the jam maker in our house but don't think it's that tricky, just a bit time-consuming

and 27 litres :eek: you'd need a barrow load of fruit

My Mum had a humungous preserving pan and makes all of her jams and marmalades on the cooker.

I know you have to use special sugar and lots and lots of fruit. :rolleyes:

'Any one for a paaaaaaaaaaannd would be great for jam' Eme :D

rubbershoes said:
surely it's best to learn how to make something before going out and spending cash on a gadget to make it easier.

Yes.. that would be the sensible approach, not one for the kitchen gadget addict. :D

eme said:
yum!

hmm surely it might be possible to do it in a normal kitchen? I bet it'd be ok here... just have to be organised! one lot in the living room making nice labels, the other lot spooning hot fruit into jars and then with the pop of a cava cork, all change... :D
It's just I have no idea how to make it... :confused:

Eme.. I think it just involves large quantities of sugar, fruit and very hot bubbling... I'm sure we could do it. Great idea! We could have a pot luck jam making session.... all bring some fruit with us and away we go!

The trouble is it takes a long long time - I think it takes my Mum a day to do on the cooker. :eek:

Not sure it would fit in an evening.

I made some marmalade a couple of years ago -- it's not actually that hard. My organic veg people are selling a blackberry jam making kit at the moment, comprising loads of lovely organic berries and everything else you need. I wouldn't mind having a go...

I think to make simple jam, you just boil the fruit in water with sugar added to taste, and keep it simmering until it reduces enough to be the right consistency. Pour the mixture into a jar while still warm, then let it cool and there you have jam. In a jar.

I'm sure proper jam making is more complicated than that, but I made blackberry jam that way, and it was delish. :)

zenie said:
The trouble is it takes a long long time - I think it takes my Mum a day to do on the cooker. :eek:

Not sure it would fit in an evening.
No no no :) If you use jam sugar with added pectin it takes 4 minutes but if you use sugar without pectin it takes 12 minutes. Maybe your mum just wanted to hide in the kitchen :D

I think the electric preservers are more for 'bottling' things like they do on the continent. You put stuff in a sterile jar and seal it, then bring the jar to boiling point and maintain it for a while. The contents are preserved and vacuum sealed.
For jam you just need a big pan with a heavy bottom and some tate & lyle. And of course some fruit :)

i have a quick Instant Jam recipe. I think it only keeps for a week though, but it is well nice!

Ingredients

250g raspberries

250g caster sugar

1 x 250ml jar

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180C

Bung the raspberries and sugar into two separate bowls;
bung the bowls into the oven for 20-25 minutes until they are really hot. Take them out of the oven mix them together. Then bung in a jar. It is worth it especially if you have guests over- or just eat a lot of jam!

all sounds good - the bit that scares me is putting the jars in the oven to sterilise them!! :eek: have visions of shattered glass and dropping them cos they're too hot etc...

so shall we 'set' (ahahahahhha - sorry) a date... maybe thurs sep 8 / 15th?

don't think we have another S&B before the october one do we?

You don't put the jars in a boiling hot oven, just a warm one!

I'm not around the first two weeks of September, I'm afraid.

I am.. but my diary is packed underneath my tent in my bike panniers which will shortly be accompanying me to Shambala!!! (had to mention it again!!)

But will check when I get back.. definitely up for this though.

The best jam I have ever tasted in my entire life was made by Ruby Toogood, and I've eaten jam made by some seriously good jam-makers in the course of my life.

maybe after the oct S&B then....

RubyT - please pass on your superior jam knowledge!!

There's an October S&B?

I think it would be feasible to do a jam club - but it might be better to do a Saturday or Sunday afternoon rather than an evening, so that there's time to get back from A&E and scrape stuff off the ceiling before you go to bed. On which note I think drinking and jam-making don't mix, too much scope for bad accidents. Although a spot of alcohol in the jam before it goes in the pots... (not Baileys, ideally)

The thing about warming the jars is partly so that they don't crack when you put hot jam in them - to be on the safe side I only turn the oven on (to like 1/2 a degree) after I've put the jars in.

Also I think it'd only be possible to make one batch of jam really, otherwise it'd get complicated and time-consuming and there wouldn't be space (preserving pans are BIG). Preparing the fruit can take ages, eg peeling and chopping loads of apples, but blackberries for instance just need a wash and picking out the dodgy ones.

I'm not really a jam expert, I just follow the recipes, more or less. It's all about pectin (it says here) - pectin is like gelatine, it's the stuff that makes jam set, and some fruit like apples has lots of it and some doesn't, eg strawberries. So if you're making jam with fruit that doesn't have much pectin in you have to add another fruit that does. Lemon is a safe one that does so you can always just bung extra lemon juice in, which improves the flavour anyway IMO. The special jam-making sugar zenie mentioned is special because it contains extra pectin, but you only need that if you need the extra pectin. Anyway you don't really need to know all that if you just have a decent recipe to follow.

Then there's getting it to "setting point". There are various tests you can do to see if it's ready, eg the wrinkle test where you put some on a saucer and let it cool right down, then push your finger through it to see if it wrinkles (if it does it's supposedly ready). Personally I tend to do it in two stages, make the jam one day, then leave it in the pan overnight and bottle it the next day, so that I can check whether it's really the right consistency when cool.

I've actually still got loads of that batch that Mrs M had some of - it was blackberry apple and banana, and I overdid the banana I think, bit gloopy.

Back
Top Bottom