Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BookCrossing at The Ritzy

MoKa

Kiss My Aspiration
For those who've never heard of it, BookCrossing is a growing phenomenon based on the principles of serendipity. You register a book online at the BookCrossing website and then 'release' it into the wild, to be picked up by someone else. They then, in turn, make an entry on your book's page and you get to follow the book's journey (around the world in some cases, around the corner in others).

I found out about BookCrossing from a link on a U75 'books' thread, and now it's come full circle, as I just got an email from the UK BookCrossing Yahoo Group saying that an Official BookCrossing Zone (OBCZ) will open at the Ritzy in Brixton. My first thought was that some people here might like to know about it. Below is the text of the email, with details of the launch for those who are interested.

Well hopefully its now final - but The Ritzy Cinema in Brixton is now an official bookcrossing zone. The shelves (newly built!) are in the cafe upstairs ... we are going to 'launch' it all on Friday 2nd September at 7pm, just bring a book, ready to be released and that will act as your invite! We can just chat for a bit because there is a funky blues harmonica guy playing upstairs from 8 onwards so you can listen to him or stay and chat.

By then we should also have decided on a date for our first Film Themed Meet Up - but it will probably be October some time. Please all come (well as many of you as can).

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it as I live in Glasgow! If anyone decides to register on BookCrossing, please put my screen name (same as on here) in as the person who referred you (I don't get any reward, just a warm fuzzy feeling!)

:)

I have just signed up under this user name too........ what a fab idea. will be releasing my first book this morning. thanks MoKa x :D

THat's brilliant. I'm a bookcrossing member and I'm always wondering where to leave books in Brixton so that they actually get read... good news indeed.. Thanks!

Edited to add: Just finished the latest Kazuo Ishiguro and will release it there if anyone's interested.

sounds a great idea, i released two books, left them in phone boxes in islington - they were never seen again... :(

Oh no!

I'm on holiday when this is, boo.... :(

I released a book near work a while ago, and watched from a far to see who would come and collect it. It was so funny watching people trying to figure out where the book had come from and why it had a sign on it saying "please pick me up"

most entertaining
:D

I have released one book before, no sign that it was ever picked up. I have two more labelled and ready to go and cannot decide where to leave them. I have a Volunteer centre about 50 yards away, may put them in there but feel that they may just be added to what library they have, rather than being taken home (even though I have put stickers on the front saying "I'm free, take me home")

ooh good.. but i'm away at the time.. :(

will come if they have one in october.. one way at least of having your released books captured.. i've released about 10 (including 2 in the Ritzy no less) but no one has ever posted that they've found them :(

Sounds wonderful. I've registered and just need to go home and find some books to liberate. I've got one or two. Tons, that is. :eek:

I look forward to the launch. :cool:

Ritzy Glitzy

Just a reminder that Bookcrossing fun is tomorrow night at the Ritzy.

I hope you can make it, bring a book if you can, if you haven't registered or don't want to then just bring the book and I can give you a pre-numbered sticker for it!!

I know of at least 30 'books' that are coming so its a good opportunity to get some new reading material. We don't have shelves yet so we are just going to leave them around on tables etc.

Anyway - hopefully see some of you there, I'll be the one with the REALLY sunburnt nose! :cool:

So - did anyone go? Hope you all had a great time and got lots of lovely new books to read. :)

Not sure if anyone from the forum came as I knew all those there but it was good fun, we took over the downstairs bit of the upstairs cafe and because they hadn't built the shelves yet the books were just dotted around, even a few at the top of the stairs which was drawing quite a crowd! Lots of new people took books including my Italian Harry Potter so I'm going to pop in tomorrow to see how its going. Only one person has logged a book though - ho hum!!!

Pop in.. will let everyone know when its the film themed event! Oooh and the Community Channel filmed it!

TrudiRudiPixie said:
Not sure if anyone from the forum came as I knew all those there but it was good fun, we took over the downstairs bit of the upstairs cafe and because they hadn't built the shelves yet the books were just dotted around, even a few at the top of the stairs which was drawing quite a crowd! Lots of new people took books including my Italian Harry Potter so I'm going to pop in tomorrow to see how its going. Only one person has logged a book though - ho hum!!!

Pop in.. will let everyone know when its the film themed event! Oooh and the Community Channel filmed it!

Will drop by and see what books are there - free books!!

BookCrossing (re)discovered

I've just found BookCrossing and found this thread when about to ask you folks for your experiences. Anyone been to the regular 'second-Tuesday-of-the-month' meetups? I've a feeling I'm about to release some books into the wild :)

mango5 said:
I've just found BookCrossing and found this thread when about to ask you folks for your experiences. Anyone been to the regular 'second-Tuesday-of-the-month' meetups? I've a feeling I'm about to release some books into the wild :)

top top idea.
I have too many paperbacks gathering dust. Going to set a clutch free.
By the way, the latest Ian McEwan novel - Saturday - is fantastic!
:D

I've had a number of refusals from charity shops, for decent books. At work I've had requests from charity shops to take unwanted books. Sometimes the serendipity of things like bookcrossing, and the joy you might feel if any of your books is ever found, of sharing an interest with friends (online or otherwise), or for many other reasons, means that giving books to charity shops is not a better idea.

Buying them from charity shops is a good idea though :)
(but bookcrossing won't impact on the number of books bought, really. Indeed, they claim quite the opposite. Have you looked at the site?)

bring us your books! after bit of a drought, someone turned up with about 30 books yesterday or the day before...and they've all gone already. lots of people stopping to look, reading the sign and saying 'great idea' before nabbing what was left.

Bookcrossing ahoy!

Indeedy - I took about 16 books in on Friday evening and they were all gone but two by the time I left. Take some in - they should have labels behind the bar so their journeys around the world can be tracked! I've already had one note that someone picked up Enduring Love and has started it already

In terms of the Second Tuesday meet up (usually in a pub in Waterloo) I've been a couple of times and it is good - both times I meant to just leave books but came away with a whole load more. I think they've had a couple of unofficial meet ups in the Ritzy too when they've left some books.

Will try and take some more down this Friday

Liz x :cool:

Back
Top Bottom