Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dog in Bookmongers 2nd-hand bookshop

knopf

Banned
Banned
Don't live in Brixton anymore (Lewisham), but thinking of dropping by one weekend. Could someone tell me if the old Jack Russell-type terrier in the 2nd hand bookshop on Coldharbour Lane is still alive?

I couldn't bear to go in if he wasn't. :(

It's not true!
Leo (for that is his name) is still in the land of the living and a happy mutt, although elderly and venerable.

Mr Retro said:
He's still there.

Stuffed and Mounted now, mind.
You git! :D

For a second I thought "Oh no! Leo's died!"

:mad:

Much as the owner loves that dog, I can't imagine him having him stuffed. :eek:

I love the way you don't really notice the dog when you go in - he seems to have this knack of being able to camoflage himself and blend in with the books. I've been standing there reading loads of times and suddenly realised, fcuk me, I'm staring right at a dog!

or is that just me? :oops:

give it a few years and they'll probably ban dogs from business premises for health and safety reasons or something :rolleyes:

Off topic, does anybody know if they do well there? The books are very cheap so I've often wondered if they struggle.

I love the dog too on his little blanket on the counter. When you go up with a book you half expect him to serve you.

I think they're struggling a bit, but no more than any other business at the moment. Yep, the books there are cheap, but I think they're realistically priced. I've paid 50p for a good but soiled paperback, but up to 6 or 7 squid for something rarer and in good nick.

Incidentally, Alessandro, who used to work in Bookmongers, has now taken over at Cafe Pushkar, the veggie eaterie across the road from Bookmongers. Except Cafe Pushkar is now called Bruno.

Is that dog ever awake?
I wish they'd alphabetise the stock in there - I often ask for something for something and they say they have it but I give up looking after a vain search.

reNnIe said:
anyone been in there? what's it like?

We went there on Saturday, and I'm afraid it was shambolic. There were only two people working -- the waitress and the cook, it took ages to get served, the food wasn't brilliant, and one of our party failed to get his main course at all because they forgot about it. When we complained, the response was "it's only our second night and we only forgot one thing!". That's all right then! :rolleyes:

Mr Retro said:
I love the dog too on his little blanket on the counter. When you go up with a book you half expect him to serve you.
He had his photo up as 'Employee Of The Month' a year or so ago.....

bmfront.jpg

[LR chants mantra]

I will not buy any more second-hand books for which I have no space...

[sees cute doggie picture and loses all willpower]

Well maybe I should pop in and see whether they have any bargains ;)

knopf said:
Don't live in Brixton anymore (Lewisham), but thinking of dropping by one weekend. Could someone tell me if the old Jack Russell-type terrier in the 2nd hand bookshop on Coldharbour Lane is still alive?

I couldn't bear to go in if he wasn't. :(
Apologies for bumping a thread, and one that I started under my old username to boot (bin/ban, etc), but I was talking to someone the other day & he reckoned this truly classic dog is no longer with us. :( if true.

the button said:
Apologies for bumping a thread, and one that I started under my old username to boot (bin/ban, etc), but I was talking to someone the other day & he reckoned this truly classic dog is no longer with us. :( if true.

Died a few months ago now yep :(

Dubversion said:
always great music in there too.. lots of decent country. means i tarry in there even longer, dammit
I used to tarry a lot longer than i wanted i there cos the books were not in any kind of order, apart from general subject heading

Back
Top Bottom