Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pentawater - water, but not as we know it?

Jazzz

the truth don't care
Banned
Has anyone else tried this stuff?

I was pretty damn sceptical of something claiming to be water... but fancy in some new way. But I've tried three bottles now, and it could be my imagination, but there seems to be something about it! Took one just before my bikram yoga session tonight (which is pretty dehydrating) and it seemed to help... feeling better than I have for a long time right now. :)

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has tried it!

Pentawater

You may be interested in this piece from the 'Bad Science' column in today's Guardian:
Of course, some people don't appreciate critical appraisal of their ideas. There isn't enough room in the paper for me to pour sufficient bile on the ludicrous claims of Penta water, so I wasn't going to bother, but now I'm strangely motivated.

After last week's piece about their failure to provide compelling evidence for bizarre claims about clustered water (uncritically written up in half a dozen national publications) I started receiving nasty, menacing text messages from them.

Imagine this buzzing into your pocket: "Goldmember I do hope you are a better physician than you are a journalist when we publish you will of course be informed out of the decency/courtesy you didn't show to us! Sleep well tonight and think about how and why you tried to fuck us over and practice [sic] keeping one eye open."

Needless to say, I've gone to the police. When I say I don't like being threatened, I don't say that to sound tough. I mean, it's not very nice being threatened. In fact, they sent it twice, just so that I could be in no doubt. Then suddenly I started getting calls from PR guru Max Clifford to apologise for a "hotheaded" Penta staff member.

Now, how often do you reckon a loser science journalist gets a call from Max Clifford PR? Weirdly, I last got one about six months ago, when we were looking into someone you may remember.

She was called Dr Gillian McKeith PhD. What could she have in common with Penta water? They have each been the subject of more than five Bad Science columns. But, hang on, Penta's only been in two. So far, that is.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/

And more comments here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,12980,1398872,00.html

Oh ffs you daft bugger. :rolleyes: :D

I did a thread about this almost a year ago.. Me and my lab mates spent several days in fits of laughter reading a leaflet about it... (I know that makes _us_ sad, but there ya go :D )

The Pentawater people describe it as 'restructured micro-water' and had before and after pictures of supposedly one, but very clearly two different women. Googled and found a page that lists all the different water scams based on the same pseudo-science (can't find the same one now though).

it's really, really meaninglesss bollocks and you should know better.

Mation said:
...all the different water scams based on the same pseudo-science (can't find the same one now, but here's one on water pseudoscience in general).

it's really, really meaninglesss bollocks and you should know better.

DON'T TOUCH THAT LINK WITH A BARGE-POLE. RUN AWAY POP UPS AND AVAST REPORTED A VIRUS FROM ONE OF THE LINKS ON THE PAGE!!

longdog said:

DON'T TOUCH THAT LINK WITH A BARGE-POLE. RUN AWAY POP UPS AND AVAST REPORTED A VIRUS FROM ONE OF THE LINKS ON THE PAGE!!

firefox had no problems with it :)

longdog said:

oh dear. Sorry :oops: . Didn't happen for me....

Has anyone else tried it? No?

Look, I'm as flummoxed as you guys are about how good ol' H2O can somehow be made different. But my experience of it so far has been positive.

DrJazzz said:
Look, I'm as flummoxed as you guys are about how good ol' H2O can somehow be made different. But my experience of it so far has been positive.

So it quenched your thirst. Isn't that what water is expected to do?

toggle said:
if it makes you feel any different, then the effect is entirely psychosomatic

Apart from feeling significantly poorer.

That's real.

(For certain values of "real" associated with (a) the labour theory of value and (b) hunger, anyway.)

Oh boy there is one born every minute. In the 19th Century it was Snake Oil. Now they have got down to basics and are selling water that "re-hydrates" you better than other water.

I remember seeing an advert for this in a local shop window and wondering if it was against the sale of goods act or similar legislation.

In fact if there was a relative re-hydration rate for different water you would just drink more of the water that was not so effective until your thirst was slaked. You would not know that this was happening and it wouod not matter as water from the tap in Britain is cheap.

In fact in their website advert they say that micro-whatever-it-is may not cause better rehydration. They do go on about "re-structuring" the water though but that is absolutely meaninless.

'Jazzz The Gullible' would of course fall for this crap; it is aimed at such as he.

Hocus Eye and dry

DrJazzz said:
Has anyone else tried this stuff?

I was pretty damn sceptical of something claiming to be water... but fancy in some new way. But I've tried three bottles now, and it could be my imagination, but there seems to be something about it! Took one just before my bikram yoga session tonight (which is pretty dehydrating) and it seemed to help... feeling better than I have for a long time right now. :)

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has tried it!

Pentawater

Why don't you boil some and find out whether it boils at some other temperature than 100C, as they claim?

Hocus Eye. said:
water that "re-hydrates" you better than other water

Adding detergents to water makes it "wetter" - perhaps this Pentawater is just water with unperfumed soap...?

;)

888 said:
Why don't you boil some and find out whether it boils at some other temperature than 100C, as they claim?

what temp do they claim it boils at

thing is water almost never boils at 100c depends on the air pressure don't it, so they could be telling the truth in a misleading get the numpties money type of way
:D

DrJ! Might I interest you in some of this?

snakeoilpic.jpg

DrJazzz said:
Congratulations, any tiny ounce of credabilty you had has just gone out the window...

Even Penta themselves know it dosen't do anything, which is why the wriggled out of the million dollar challange on James Randis site.

Part 1

Part 2

Damn you, I was going to post that link! :mad:

The only substance round here that is "water, but not as we know it" flows through London and is commonly known as the Thames.

Well there's some pretty blinding testimonials from sportspeople on the Pentawater site, and it seems to be selling like hot cakes... I can't say for sure whether it's been working for me or just been plain old distilled water, but inspired by the responses on this thread, I've just bought five bottles... :D

DrJazzz said:
but inspired by the responses on this thread, I've just bought five bottles... :D

That's always been your problem, Dr J. The more arguments that are proved against you, the more you believe your own instincts. That can sometimes work out well, but it hasn't yet, IMO. Take care what you drink! :D

Back
Top Bottom