Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate change sceptics bet $10,000 on cooler world

pbman

(mo-lone lah-veh)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1552092,00.html
Two climate change sceptics, who believe the dangers of global warming are overstated, have put their money where their mouth is and bet $10,000 that the planet will cool over the next decade.
The Russian solar physicists Galina Mashnich and Vladimir Bashkirtsev have agreed the wager with a British climate expert, James Annan.

The pair, based in Irkutsk, at the Institute of Solar-Terrestrial Physics, believe that global temperatures are driven more by changes in the sun's activity than by the emission of greenhouse gases. They say the Earth warms and cools in response to changes in the number and size of sunspots. Most mainstream scientists dismiss the idea, but as the sun is expected to enter a less active phase over the next few decades the Russian duo are confident they will see a drop in global temperatures

Looks like a couple russians has finaly admited the basics, that solar activity has to have an effect on the earths temp, expically when considering "greenhouse" affect.

Even if nothing changed at all, in the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmostpher, the earth would have to warm and cool in response to increases and decreases in solar activity.

radiate.gif

And if anyone has any ligitmate honest points to discuse, make them politly, or be ignored......

What odds were they given? If they struck it at evens as appears, well that reveals how insanely dumb they are! I'm sure they could have phoned up the head office of a decent bookie and got 20/1. ;)

pbman- are you seriously suggesting that solar activity could affect the temperature of the Earth ?

Is this anything like Kent Hovinds little $250k wager or is it possible for these morons to lose their money?

Solar activity must effect temperature on earth .Dosent mean human activity cant also effect it . Cutting down on greenhouse gas emssions cannot
be a bad thing imho . At best save the planet at worse look a bit silly to our descendents .

Odd that peebs should be discussing this just as more news is coming out about birds shifting their migration patterns due to milder weather. Maybe birds are commies.

UK birds 'hit by climate change'

I've also read that fish are shifting their migration routes too due to the warmer weather, and unprecendented numbers of dolphins are being seen on Britain's shores.

There is a school of thought that heating of the atmosphere by human activity is delaying the next ice age.

Well seeing as we're many thousands of years from any potential next ice age I can't see how that's important right now.

aurora green said:
Given that even Bush now admits climate change link , I am amazed there's still any sceptics left out there.
He's admitted it in the past too, much to the chagrin of people like pbman.

Bush admits to role of humans in global warming
By Caroline Daniel in Copenhagen and Fiona Harvey in Gleneagles
Published: July 7 2005 03:00 | Last updated: July 7 2005 03:00

President George W. Bush yesterday acknowledged more openly than in the past the role of human activity in causing global warming, as he travelled to Scotland for the summit of the Group of Eight industrialised nations.

"I recognise the surface of the earth is warmer and that an increase in greenhouse gases caused by humans is contributing to the problem," he said during a visit to Denmark en route to Gleneagles.

Loki said:
Well seeing as we're many thousands of years from any potential next ice age I can't see how that's important right now.

As I understand it the start of the next ice age is overdue.

pbman said:
if anyone has any ligitmate honest points to discuse, make them politly, or be ignored......
'God Moaning. The resist-once have accqo-aired a bum. They are going to ex-plod the whaleway brodge'

bostrom.jpg

tobyjug said:
As I understand it the start of the next ice age is overdue.
Some think that, but the most recent ice ages have occured at 40,000 - 100,000 year intervals, and the last one ended about 10,000 years ago.

To be fair to these Russians, at least they are putting their money where their mouth is. In contrast, Dr Richard Lindzen (leading US climate sceptic) will only accept a bet with 50:1 odds in his favour! i.e. if he loses he pays out 200 dollars, if he wins he gets 10,000!

What faith in his 'science'... :rolleyes:

Matt

tobyjug said:
Here is one link out of the many found when googling:- global warming delaying next ice age.
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=14022

Here we go.
Just a quick visit to SourceWatch reveals all.

Check out the board of directors;
Herbert J. Walberg, Chairman
Joseph L. Bast, President and CEO The Heartland Institute
James L. Johnston, Amoco Corporation (retired)
Thomas Walton, General Motors Corporation
Walter F. Buchholtz, ExxonMobil Corporation
Roy E. Marden, Philip Morris
etc.
No vested interest there then eh? :rolleyes:

Isn't it stange that all these climate change de-bunkers are always the self same organisations who defend and support the tobacco industry in disputing a link between smoking and cancer. :rolleyes:

As I've said before, we've had perfectly normal weather this year so far. A few more the same and we'll be hearing a deal less about this global warming nonsense.

I'm far more worried about global poverty than global warming.

comstock said:
As I've said before, we've had perfectly normal weather this year so far. A few more the same and we'll be hearing a deal less about this global warming nonsense.

I'm far more worried about global poverty than global warming.
The two are by no means unconnected.

See e.g. this from the World Bank and this from the UK govt's DFID

comstock said:
What nonsense, for a start it's called climate change for a reason. And if you look at the past few years then the weather hasn't been 'normal' at all, many of the hottest summers on record have been within the last decade.

axon said:
pbman- are you seriously suggesting that solar activity could affect the temperature of the Earth ?

Are you seriousely implying it doesn't?

Solar activity changes the input, into the natural greenhouse effect.

aurora green said:
Here we go.
Just a quick visit to SourceWatch reveals all.

Check out the board of directors;
Herbert J. Walberg, Chairman
Joseph L. Bast, President and CEO The Heartland Institute
James L. Johnston, Amoco Corporation (retired)
Thomas Walton, General Motors Corporation
Walter F. Buchholtz, ExxonMobil Corporation
Roy E. Marden, Philip Morris
etc.
No vested interest there then eh? :rolleyes:

Isn't it stange that all these climate change de-bunkers are always the self same organisations who defend and support the tobacco industry in disputing a link between smoking and cancer. :rolleyes:

BAd science is bad science.

And the tabbaco debate is over second hand tobaco smoke causing cancer.

And the last time i checked the tabbaco companies were more correct in their position, than the gov't. Pretty much everyone admits that their are carsonogenics in smoke, but at one point of exposure, is dangerouse is what the debate is about.......... Most people can't help but come into contact every day with something thats a carsonogenic, but that doens't mean they have significant exposure to it.

Back
Top Bottom