Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyway, talking about shops on Brixton Hill..........

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
Rumour has it (from Sheila's mini-mart on Brixton Hill), that the old Elf/Fina petrol station is going to be a supermarket and that all the shopkeepers on Brixton Hill will be out of a job in a year's time :D

Lang Rabbie - do you know anything about this? If not, get up off your arse and find out pronto :D :D

I know nothing...

You're sure there is no confusion between former petrol stations - IIRC Elf/Fina is the one currently occupied by the recycling charity, as distinct from the former garage with the wavy concrete canopy up the hill next to the Telegraph where the "Alexander Dumas House" now stands.

There was talk of Sainsburys going into that development under the flats if they didn't get a planning consent for the site on the corner of New Park Road/Streatham Place.

I'll see if I can get the Lambeth planning database to co-operate during the rest of my lunchhour

lang rabbie said:
I know nothing...

You're sure there is no confusion between former petrol stations - IIRC Elf/Fina is the one currently occupied by the recycling charity, as distinct from the former garage with the wavy concrete canopy up the hill next to the Telegraph where the "Alexander Dumas House" now stands.

Yep the one that's currently the home of 2nd-hand sofas (ie. Evergreen Trust)

Now I've only heard it from Sheila's so can't confirm it. Will try to drop it in conversation next time I'm in Mace or Costcutters, but I'll imagine Mace would be well pissed off having spent all that money doing their property up :D

I believe that Sainsburys are planning to develop the old Pinewood showroom (New Park road & A205). They have it pencilled in for 2005/06, though with a new CEO, things are all a bit up in the air at the moment.

nick said:
I believe that Sainsburys are planning to develop the old Pinewood showroom (New Park road & A205). They have it pencilled in for 2005/06, though with a new CEO, things are all a bit up in the air at the moment.

You mean the car showroom on the corner?

I heard that a couple of years ago. Thought they must have given up on the idea as it was still there

Buggering chuffmunk - these blinking mini-supermarkets are springing up all over the place. More of the same, only with less range and variety - and with longer queues and higher prices to boot. Simply marvellous...

:rolleyes:

I'm counting on the good people of Brixton Hill to turn away from this upstart-chain if it ever does open. After all, it's never going to match the existing stores on the all-important convenience battleground - I confidently predict that the price of a 4-pack will remain cheaper in Mace than it will in Tescos. When it comes to value - and the variety of snackfoods on offer - Brixton Hill's shops are already in a league of their own.

And besides, that old garage is a little too far away from Brixton Hill's true centre - the famed triangle of unnaturally-cheap fried chicken emporiums (Kennedy FC, Pizza Ring and Albert's Place) - to really be a success if you ask me....
;) :D

The best hope is that the any new supermarket cannibalise trade from existing supermarkets rather than the local businesses or market. Fingers crossed...

tarannau said:
Buggering chuffmunk - these blinking mini-supermarkets are springing up all over the place. More of the same, only with less range and variety - and with longer queues and higher prices to boot. Simply marvellous...

:rolleyes:

I'm counting on the good people of Brixton Hill to turn away from this upstart-chain if it ever does open. After all, it's never going to match the existing stores on the all-important convenience battleground - I confidently predict that the price of a 4-pack will remain cheaper in Mace than it will in Tescos. When it comes to value - and the variety of snackfoods on offer - Brixton Hill's shops are already in a league of their own.

The best hope is that the any new supermarket cannibalise trade from existing supermarkets rather than the local businesses or market. Fingers crossed...

Sorry, but when you live on 4th floor of flats with no lifts, it's not nice dragging six bags of shopping up the stairs :rolleyes:

It's bad enough that you have to pay £1 to get the bus up the Hill, but then you've still got the walk up the stairs :rolleyes:

We mix our shopping. We use M&S, Iceland, Sainsburys, Mace and Costcutters
:p

Yep the car showroom (that has now relocated to Croydon).

I don't think the supermarkets ever give up on the idea of opening on a new site (cf the Hospital for Women @ Clapham Sth that must have been derelict for 15 years whilst Tesco fought for planning permisison on it).

I would imagine (though don't know) that the delay is probably more to do with the relative crapness of Sainsburys as a business than because they gave up on the idea

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Sorry, but when you live on 4th floor of flats with no lifts, it's not nice dragging six bags of shopping up the stairs

It's bad enough that you have to pay £1 to get the bus up the Hill, but then you've still got the walk up the stairs

We mix our shopping. We use M&S, Iceland, Sainsburys, Mace and Costcutters

Lazy git! Exercise is good for you I tell you. I'm a case in point: since I moved from Brixton Hill I've lost 3 stones of pure muscle, simply because I don't make the long walk from the market with 6 bags of shopping twice a week...
;) :p

But more seriously, what you've said tends to back up the theory that supermarkets may cannibalise the majority of their trade from existing supermarkets rather than small traders. No-one gets 6 bags of shopping from Mace from example (excepting the late night rush for party drinks), but they may pop in for an item or two...

:)

tarannau said:
Lazy git! Exercise is good for you I tell you. I'm a case in point: since I moved from Brixton Hill I've lost 3 stones of pure muscle, simply because I don't make the long walk from the market with 6 bags od shopping next week...

Yes, but when you're short, six bags worth of shopping means the shopping is dragging on the ground :rolleyes:

But more seriously, what you've said tends to back up the theory that supermarkets may cannibalise the majority of their trade from existing supermarkets rather than small traders. No-one gets 6 bags of shopping from Mace from example (excepting the late night rush for party drinks), but they may pop in for an item or two...

Not so. We often get bags of spuds, onions, washing powder, eggs, milk, veg etc. in the local shops as they are the heavier stuff. If I got all that stuff at the supermarket on top of my 6 bags I'd probably end up flat on my face :D

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Yes, but when you're short, six bags worth of shopping means the shopping is dragging on the ground :rolleyes:

Not so. We often get bags of spuds, onions, washing powder, eggs, milk, veg etc. in the local shops as they are the heavier stuff. If I got all that stuff at the supermarket on top of my 6 bags I'd probably end up flat on my face :D

That's a real shame. I hate to see local shops and (especially) the market lose out to supermarkets. For me those local businesses are the most important buffer against local change - every penny spent in them helps guard Brixton against encroaching corporate blandness. The presence of a another supermarket in Brixton is likely to have far more impact on the local area and trade than another bar for example.

I suspect we all use supermarkets from time to time, but it is at a cost...

:(

tarannau said:
That's a real shame. I hate to see local shops and (especially) the market lose out to supermarkets. For me those local businesses are the most important buffer against local change - every penny spent in them helps guard Brixton against encroaching corporate blandness. The presence of a another supermarket in Brixton is likely to have far more impact on the local area and trade than another bar for example.

I suspect we all use supermarkets from time to time, but it is at a cost...
:(

Why a shame? We normally only ever do a big shop maybe once a month and that's mainly for things like meat and bulk buying items I just said we use the little shops frequently. Every day in fact. For things like meat though, the small shops are no good.

All my toiletries etc. I normally do in Brixton in Superdrug or Boots because of the range. The chemists on Brixton Hill has bugger all :rolleyes

:p

:)

lang rabbie said:
You're sure there is no confusion between former petrol stations - IIRC Elf/Fina is the one currently occupied by the recycling charity
The recycling charity - the Evergreen Trust - was there when the petrol station was still open. It's in a warehouse at the back, so presumably wouldn't have to move/close if the petrol station was redeveloped.

I was well annoyed when the garage shut - it was 24hr as well. Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I went to get some rizla and a Kit Kat at 3am only to discover it had closed..... :oops: :rolleyes: :mad:

Currently trying to get into the Lambeth planning database..... but it appears to have crashed under the weight of all those applications for luxury flats...

Brixton Hatter said:
I was well annoyed when the garage shut - it was 24hr as well. Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I went to get some rizla and a Kit Kat at 3am only to discover it had closed

Why on earth would you want Kit Kat at 3.00am? :oops:
whistling.gif

Know how you feel. It was right handy when you'd had a late one in the Windmill and all the shops had shut :( Mind you, the employees were slow bastards :oops: :D

Brixton Hatter said:
I was well annoyed when the garage shut - it was 24hr as well. Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I went to get some rizla and a Kit Kat at 3am only to discover it had closed...

Is that shop on the corner of Brixton Water Lane (just past Allied Carpets) still open late?

I seem to remember it being remarkably convenient once the 24hr garage closed. Perfect for that late night wander for snacks, even down to a surprisingly large fruit stall outside.

Thumbs up on the selection too. I dimly remember staggering out of there at 5am one morning with a fresh french stick, a bunch of 'nanas and the Sunday papers. Beats a ginsters down the garage anyday..

tarannau said:
Is that shop on the corner of Brixton Water Lane (just past Allied Carpets) still open late?

I seem to remember it being remarkably convenient once the 24hr garage closed. Perfect for that late night wander for snacks, even down to a surprisingly large fruit stall outside.

Thumbs up on the selection too. I dimly remember staggering out of there at 5am one morning with a fresh french stick, a bunch of 'nanas and the Sunday papers. Beats a ginsters down the garage anyday..

It's still open. Dunno what time it shuts though, but I do know it's late. It might even be a 24 hour shop

Yeah, it is open 24hrs. Very handy.

I've had a look on the planning database (sorry Lang Rabbie, I've stolen your thunder but I'm bored as fuck at work.. :) ) and there doesn't appear to be any current applications for the garage itself, which is at 124-128 Brixton Hill. The only application for that address appears to be one which was permitted in Aug 2000 for "Installation of a satellite dish and video screen to garage forecourt".

This doesn't mean that one isn't in the offing though...

Brixton Hatter said:
Yeah, it is open 24hrs. Very handy.

I've had a look on the planning database (sorry Lang Rabbie, I've stolen your thunder but I'm bored as fuck at work.. and there doesn't appear to be any current applications for the garage itself, which is at 124-128 Brixton Hill. The only application for that address appears to be one which was permitted in Aug 2000 for "Installation of a satellite dish and video screen to garage forecourt".

hmm, like I said - rumour. You never know with that woman in Sheilas :rolleyes: :D

Hatter - so if you're still bored, how about looking up any planning permission for the rest of the Hill - 'cos I don't know how to do these things :rolleyes: :D

Any while you're at it, can you find out EXACTLY what type of restaurant Tent & Tarpaulin Shop's going to be :D

Oh and while you're at it. any chance you can find out if anything's ever going to happen to the King of Sardines :D

Would hate to see you bored ;)

talking of Brixton Hill area...I'm sure you're aware that the warehouse opposite the Windmill pub has been "Aquired for Cunts", or at least that's what the sign reads.
More flats...at a bargain £350k+

twisted said:
talking of Brixton Hill area...I'm sure you're aware that the warehouse opposite the Windmill pub has been "Aquired for Cunts", or at least that's what the sign reads.
More flats...at a bargain £350k+

Does it really say "Aquired for Cunts" :eek: :D

I thought that had already been turned into flats? Or am I thinking of the one's at the side?

You mean the ones behind that forecourt thingy?

Oh dear, they'll be complaining about the noise from the Windmill no doubt :mad: I'll have to start a petition on their behalf :D

Only £350k+? I'll have to get a His 'n' Hers then :rolleyes:

Supermarkets

I agree that frequenting supermarkets in your area will lead to corporate blandness seeping in as individual shopkeepers are squeezed out. You only need to look at what has happened elsewhere in London for that. I try and support my local veg shops on Rye Lane but the quality of veg is so bad it is hard to buy much other than the odd manioc. Most of the potatoes are well manky. The greens are untouchable! But this is Rye Lane!

But I never visit a supermarket unless I really get caught out and even then I can normally avoid them. Go to Peckham Farmer's Market on a Sunday morning! The meat is well cheap (they even give it to you sometimes :D ) and you can buy all your meat aand fresh produce from local farmers who can tell you how free range that chicken's life was... and once you have bought meat from there you will know that even "Taste the difference" tastes like shite! Peckham Farmer's Market is much cheaper than Borough Market, which I like but can not afford!

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Oh and while you're at it. any chance you can find out if anything's ever going to happen to the King of Sardines :D

Would hate to see you bored ;)

It's being converted into flats. There are/were a couple of planning notices attached to lampposts near it with the details. I'll have a look when I go out later on.

ianw said:
It's being converted into flats. There are/were a couple of planning notices attached to lampposts near it with the details. I'll have a look when I go out later on.

You're joking? :eek:

Alas no. I only went into it twice before it closed but it was a lovely pub. I can imagine it was really special in its heyday. Have you had some good nights there?

As well as the garage, there are three industrial units at the same address. There are no pending planning applications for those bits either (although a quick search on Google has found that Unit 3 is a 1,458 sq ft warehouse available to rent for a mere £15k p/a.........)

Back
Top Bottom