Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Not allowed to bring alcohol to Godiva Festival

mr steev

magic thought wizard
Police chiefs are keen to stress that this year, nobody will be allowed to take booze into the park.

Insp David Blake said: "We are very confident that this year the security will be very good and we will not get the problems we have had in the past. Anybody who arrives with alcohol will be asked to either deposit it in a skip or leave the park. We will also be testing soft drinks with special strips to ensure that nobody can sneak alcohol into the venue.

"Once people are inside, there will be areas where they can buy alcohol, but we will be able to control the situation and refuse to serve anyone who we think has had enough."

WTF!

So much for a free community festival :mad::(

Must we do this thread every time a festival comes under the dead hand of the new licencing laws?

Must we do this thread every time a festival comes under the dead hand of the new licencing laws?

Yes :p
Don't worry though, I'm sure there'll be hardly any threads about it in a couple of years, just threads reminiscing about the days when you could go to your local park, see a few bands, and relax in the sunshine without being hearded around like cattle and having to pay ridiculous prices for the priveledge

So the police, who we pay for, are being employed as enforcers for alcohol companies? 'Fuck's sake

Don't worry though, I'm sure there'll be hardly any threads about it in a couple of years, just threads reminiscing about the days when you could go to your local park, see a few bands, and relax in the sunshine without being hearded around like cattle and having to pay ridiculous prices for the priveledge

In Scotland, we got this a good couple of years ahead of you lot so no, there ain't many events that have escaped it. :(

Banging-on about the greed of the alcohol companies is missing the point entirely however. It is a licencing/H&S thing now.

So the police, who we pay for, are being employed as enforcers for alcohol companies? 'Fuck's sake

you've only just realized that? :confused::confused:

I just get the impression its all about making more money because its not going to cut down on disorder. I swear in my whole life I don't think I have seen a single person being refused alcohol because 'they have had enough'. The only thing its going to achieve is making us pay more for our alcohol because we cant bring the stuff we've got from a reasonably priced shop!

Its the same with all these police controlled dispersal zones........

Fuck it, I'm going to see Fatboy and Underworld in London instead :cool: I only really go to the Godiva for the fights.

It is a licencing/H&S thing now.

Some of the H&S restrictions are ridiculous.
The last time I went to Godiva a year or two ago, it was a lovely sunny day, but the marquees were not allowed to open up their sides because of noise restrictions, and there were bouncers on the 'doors' of the tents stopping people going in cos of the capacity of the marquee - so you had loads of people who couldn't even get in, or the fiasco of having to wait in a queue to get back in if you'd left for the bar/bog :rolleyes:

Yup, seen the marquee thing n'all. Most festivals here now. :(

William - I's probably just a matter of time for any kind of civic event. :(

I can remember in Texas lots of these festivals were "dry". If the organisers were consistent that would be the route they went down rather than allowing themselves to be whores of the alcohol lobby.

William - I's probably just a matter of time for any kind of civic event. :(

Luckily, SF is not run by Cambridge City Council, and the site (Midsummer Common) is common land too, which I've been told restricts room for restrictive manoeuvre by the Police or authorities. As does, apparantly, the existence of a medieval Royal Charter (14th C), now in Cambridge University Library, granting the people of Cambridge the right to hold a fair or fete on Midsummer Common in the first week of June (or near wording) ... this document was re-discovered by some smart folks back in the 70s ... ;)

Sorry for offtopic ... I reckon Coventry folks should go hunting for similar archival gems! :D

Don't worry, there will be fewer of those as well, as people who might have started festival-going will bother less and less.

Luckily, SF is not run by Cambridge City Council, and the site (Midsummer Common) is common land too, which I've been told restricts room for restrictive manoeuvre by the Police or authorities. As does, apparantly, the existence of a medieval Royal Charter (14th C), now in Cambridge University Library, granting the people of Cambridge the right to hold a fair or fete on Midsummer Common in the first week of June (or near wording) ... this document was re-discovered by some smart folks back in the 70s ... ;)

Sorry for offtopic ... I reckon Coventry folks should go hunting for similar archival gems! :D

newcastle green fest ended up splitting in two over this issue - police are now insisting on this because it's now considered best practice, and everyone else is doing it or something.

thing I'd prob have managed to work a way round it had I been involved, but it's getting fucking hard.

I suspect it'll only take one kick off at strawberry fayre for the police to force them down this route too.:(

They'd have more operational and even legal problems with that (I mean with insisting on fences, enforcing patdowns, applying searches for freelance alcohol, etc.) on that particular site and with that particular event's unusual history, than at most events. And Cambridgeshire is a small force ....

Maybe I'm being wildly too optimistic though, we'll see.

Trouble at SF has been pretty limited of late, thankfully .... even with such huge crowds.

Luckily, SF is not run by Cambridge City Council, and the site (Midsummer Common) is common land too, which I've been told restricts room for restrictive manoeuvre by the Police or authorities.

Which is all well & good until something happens & a liability issue/dispute arises - Then the council may then have you over a barrel, unless you have very good lawyers. :(

Also, didn't I read somewhere of some ploy/agenda being developed by Cambridge Council to designate the entire common as a single "premisis" under the new legislation? Which would then allow them to enforce all aspects of licencing & ASB law. Did it fail outright or are they just biding their time?

Which is all well & good until something happens & a liability issue/dispute arises - Then the council may then have you over a barrel, unless you have very good lawyers. :(

Also, didn't I read somewhere of some ploy/agenda being developed by Cambridge Council to designate the entire common as a single "premisis" under the new legislation? Which would then allow them to enforce all aspects of licencing & ASB law. Did it fail outright or are they just biding their time?
all festivals whether on common land with royal statute or not need licensing, what it sounds like you're talking about is something that's been done by loads of councils all over the country with council parkland, which is to apply for a year round license for their parks that covers them for all current and anticipated events - basically to make it easier for them to run / authorise fairly standard events in their parks without needing to constantly apply for permission to themselves.

it's actually a good thing for independant events in most cases because they no longer have to spend £500 odd quid on getting the license, and local residents can't object at the last minute and scupper everything... does kinda depend if a local residents group got wind of it before they did the licence application for the park, and got the license restricted to like 9pm or something though.

:eek:

Never heard about this -- at all. Are you sure?? :(

Need links, and to transfer all this over to the SF thread proper to ask around .... .....

all festivals whether on common land with royal statute or not need licensing, what it sounds like you're talking about is something that's been done by loads of councils all over the country with council parkland, which is to apply for a year round license for their parks that covers them for all current and anticipated events - basically to make it easier for them to run / authorise fairly standard events in their parks without needing to constantly apply for permission to themselves.

it's actually a good thing for independant events in most cases because they no longer have to spend £500 odd quid on getting the license, and local residents can't object at the last minute and scupper everything... does kinda depend if a local residents group got wind of it before they did the licence application for the park, and got the license restricted to like 9pm or something though.

I'm transferring some of these posts over ....this is all very Strawberry Fair relevant. It's an independent event, the committee have a pretty good track record of working well with the Council, Police and appeasing local residents -- mostly.

ETA : All Strawberry Fair relevant posts (by pogofish, freespirit, myself) now transferred over to the Strawberry Fair thread

The SF music licence has in the past been cut back from 11 pm to 10 pm, but has remained at 10 pm (with beer tents closing at 9:30) for a long time now, and there've been no signs (certainly not this year) of being pulled back further. Al fresco independent drinking hasn't been cracked down on either, at all.

Mr Steev, apols for hijack to your thread, but what you raise does have wider festie implications ....

Pack of six Evian 330ml water filled with Smirnoff Blue vodka.

Simple.

Fuck the law.

:)

:eek:

Never heard about this -- at all. Are you sure?? :(

Need links, and to transfer all this over to the SF thread proper to ask around .... .....

This was a year or so back & it was certainly Cambridge & Midsummer Common involved.

Is any small part of the common in their hands? This could explain any confusion.

This was a year or so back & it was certainly Cambridge & Midsummer Common involved.

Is any small part of the common in their hands? This could explain any confusion.

Foo's right now investigating, asking one of the Fair organisers in Cambridge. In the other thread now. But thanks for raising it! :eek:

Ok.

I'm just now listening to renewed calls for more restrictive legislation/control on festivals/all sorts of event as a result of last night's trouble in Manchester.

So it goes-on! :(

Back
Top Bottom