Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Muslims and the European media

rogue yam said:
In the wake of the Monty Python film, were there riots and death threats, etc. at all comparable to what we've seen already in the present case (which will only get worse, I expect)? I think not! Here in the U.S. we have had controversies about anti-Christian movies or artwork, and even calls for boycotts and demonstrations. But I have never heard of anyone who wanted the material banned, or who called for violence against the producers of same. That's not to say that some isolated extremist somewhere didn't do so. But I think you trivialize what is happening now with the Muslim backlash over these cartoons when you draw even a rough equivalence to peaceful, democratic dispute over religion here in the West. And that does not help matters.
I agree with you there - though it should also be pointed out that only the hot heads are being shown on TV. The calm masses which stayed at home are never shown.

I've asked a dozen Muslims about this. All slightly miffed but of the opinion the Reactionary reaction is very silly, the insult falls far short of the Satanic Verses. You'd think the Danes had dropped a 500lb bomb on a Mosque rather than reprinted some unfunny cartoons. It's not like the henna bearded persuasion is short of provocation at the moment.

I woonder what would happen if they started to read the US religous press, where you'll find the Prophet accused of being a kiddy fiddeling, moon worshiper, agent of Satan etc. Islamaphobia seems filled the void left by traditional Mom n apple pie anti-Semitism now that the victimhood culture has made it unfashionable in America. Fortunately with God being largely dead in the bits of Europe were Muslims pre-dominate we don't have that to deal with.

I think this whole episode will cause many european christians to become a lot more vocal about their own faith.

Q: Would you dare to put in some of the details of his life such as the affair with Aisha, who Muhammed married when she was six and had sex with when she was nine?
A: Oh yes.
:eek:

oi2002 said:
I woonder what would happen if they started to read the US religous press, where you'll find the Prophet accused of being a kiddy fiddeling, moon worshiper, agent of Satan etc. Islamaphobia seems filled the void left by traditional Mom n apple pie anti-Semitism now that the victimhood culture has made it unfashionable in America. Fortunately with God being largely dead in the bits of Europe were Muslims pre-dominate we don't have that to deal with.
Anti-Semitism was never widespread in America, and now is barely a whiff. "Islamophobia" is a bigoted and perjorative charge to be levelling at people who basically just want to be left alone. If you think atheism will aid you in holding back Islamism, well, may God help you. It might be worth noting how little Muslim "outrage" we have here in the States. First of all, our country is genuinely pluralistic in a way that others don't even really understand. Most Muslims here are smart enough to figure this out and appreciate it. And any who might prefer to intimidate the majority and cow us into "respecting their faith" (by which they mean curtailing our own rights) will find out quickly and surely enough that Bubba don't play that. You show up on American streets with signs demanding that we "pay heed to the lessons of 9-11", you start attacking beach-goers in mobs or torching cars en masse, you get your ass lit up like a Danish embassy, toot sweet.

rogue yam said:
You show up on American streets with signs demanding that we "pay heed to the lessons of 9-11", you start attacking beach-goers in mobs or torching cars en masse, you get your ass lit up like a Danish embassy, toot sweet.
Ah yes, rule by fear. That *always* works out well in the end doesn't it. :rolleyes:

If I had my way we would of burnt down the yanky embassy a long time ago.

Along with parliment, 10 downing street, buck place and many other pretencious hovels for wankers.

Along with parliment, 10 downing street, buck place and many other pretencious hovels for wankers.

Magneze said:
Ah yes, rule by fear. That *always* works out well in the end doesn't it.
No, quite the opposite. It's refusal to be ruled by fear. The old "Don't Tread on Me". Get it sorted.

rogue yam said:
No, quite the opposite. It's refusal to be ruled by fear. The old "Don't Tread on Me". Get it sorted.
I doubt that threatening to burn protesters can be considered a "refusal to be ruled by fear". If they're breaking the law then arrest them but what you advocated was very similar to the banners you profess to be fighting against.

Magneze said:
I doubt that threatening to burn protesters can be considered a "refusal to be ruled by fear". If they're breaking the law then arrest them but what you advocated was very similar to the banners you profess to be fighting against.

You're making the error of thinking that Rogue Yam believes in equivalence.
He doesn't, his mindset makes it perfectly rational to him to propose harsh measures against his political enemies for advocating something he'd cheer on if it was advocated by himself or his fellow-travellers.

ViolentPanda said:
You're making the error of thinking that Rogue Yam believes in equivalence.
He doesn't, his mindset makes it perfectly rational to him to propose harsh measures against his political enemies for advocating something he'd cheer on if it was advocated by himself or his fellow-travellers.
Quite. "An eye for an eye will leave us all blind" someone clever once said ...

rogue yam said:
Anti-Semitism was never widespread in America, and now is barely a whiff. "Islamophobia" is a bigoted and perjorative charge to be levelling at people who basically just want to be left alone. If you think atheism will aid you in holding back Islamism, well, may God help you. It might be worth noting how little Muslim "outrage" we have here in the States. First of all, our country is genuinely pluralistic in a way that others don't even really understand. Most Muslims here are smart enough to figure this out and appreciate it. And any who might prefer to intimidate the majority and cow us into "respecting their faith" (by which they mean curtailing our own rights) will find out quickly and surely enough that Bubba don't play that. You show up on American streets with signs demanding that we "pay heed to the lessons of 9-11", you start attacking beach-goers in mobs or torching cars en masse, you get your ass lit up like a Danish embassy, toot sweet.

And economics plays a large role in the history of assimilation of various types of religious and ethnic groups into the US. Immigrants got involved (and still do) because they could find jobs, save, put money down on a house. Same with American Muslims I believe. The US unemployment rate is now 4.7%. so jobs are still out there.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/BUSINESS07/602040324/1020/BUSINESS

African American unemployment is still to high but the best since 9-11 according to the article. Its listed at 8.9%. Hispanic unemployment at 5.8%. Not sure if numbers exist on Muslims Americans since they are such a diverse group. It would be interesting to know if any sutdies have been done on Muslims in the American workforce.

mears said:
Read as you wish.
Pretty pointless posting it then really. I could dig out some unrelated statistics too, but I prefer a picture of a Wolf Eel.
lsl_reef_m032.jpg

rogue yam said:
There is no help for the overly literal. None whatsoever.
Why don't you actually say what you mean then?

Have you been overly literal in interpreting the percieved threats on some placards maybe?

It's so easy to get confused isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom