Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

riots in paris banlieu...

Controversially, I do support *anybody* that wants to demonstrate.. How else will we know that there is a problem otherwise?

And I'd say 50% unemployment is as good as reason as any to bring out a rage

citydreams said:
Controversially, I do support *anybody* that wants to demonstrate.. How else will we know that there is a problem otherwise?

There is a vast difference between a demonstration and rioting. One can hardly call the scenes of mayhem from Paris a demonstration.

tobyjug said:
There is a vast difference between a demonstration and rioting. One can hardly call the scenes of mayhem from Paris a demonstration.

But at what point should you change from demonstrating to rioting?

Sometimes demonstrating just doesn't work :(

This problem has been going on for a while - some serious rioting and now it has everyone's attention.

tobyjug said:

Please define demonstration for a group of disparate individuals that are only connected together by a hatred for the current status quo

Isambard said:
Youth unemployment played in the riots, I wonder if they will be used as an excuse to "liberalise" the French economy...
Private entreprise provides the vast majority of new jobs, as well as the tax revenue for public sector employment.

Whatever your political beliefs you rwally can't get away from this fact, so "liberalising" the economy might well be the answer to providing more employment in France.

Of course trade unions tend to protect the right sof peope who already have work and public sector unions support spending tax revenues.

Which organisations devote themselves to generating more jobs for the benefit of the non-unionised unemployed? :confused:

TeeJay said:
Private entreprise provides the vast majority of new jobs, as well as the tax revenue for public sector employment.

Whatever your political beliefs you rwally can't get away from this fact, so "liberalising" the economy might well be the answer to providing more employment in France.

Of course trade unions tend to protect the right sof peope who already have work and public sector unions support spending tax revenues.

Which organisations devote themselves to generating more jobs for the benefit of the non-unionised unemployed? :confused:

For some unknown reason, I thought that this was the role of the government.

spring-peeper said:
We walk around with protest signs, AQ blows things up, and the French burn cars.
Maybe because France still has car manufacturers? (Citroen, Peurgot, Renault)

More burnt cars = more new cars = more new jobs

(or maybe not ;) )

TeeJay said:
Maybe because France still has car manufacturers? (Citroen, Peurgot, Renault)

More burnt cars = more new cars = more new jobs

(or maybe not ;) )

Ahhh - I see. Maybe that's why Detroit rioters burn cars as well.

Now it all makes sense.

:D

spring-peeper said:
For some unknown reason, I thought that this was the role of the government.
Yeah right!

How many successful economies can you name where the government runs most of the businesses?

edit: "generating more jobs" - so you think the French government should generate more jobs?

TeeJay said:
Yeah right!

How many successful economies can you name where the government runs most of the businesses?

By creating an environment that is would simulate new businesses and encourage existing businesses to grow, maybe?

spring-peeper said:

Sometimes demonstrating just doesn't work :(

This problem has been going on for a while - some serious rioting and now it has everyone's attention.

What I might personally do when backed into a corner is irrelevant. I would never join in a riot as I am not a team person.
If I wished to take some sort of action beyond legal protest I would not do it by joining a mob.
Turning the area one lives in into a bigger shithouse than it already is, is not exactly productive.

tobyjug said:
What I might personally do when backed into a corner is irrelevant. I would never join in a riot as I am not a team person.
If I wished to take some sort of action beyond legal protest I would not do it by joining a mob.

Sometimes even peaceful protest turns into a riot, not because of the behaviour of the participants, but because of the way in which the event is portrayed in the media.

_pH_ said:
Sometimes even peaceful protest turns into a riot, not because of the behaviour of the participants, but because of the way in which the event is portrayed in the media.

Are you seriously suggesting the media or the French government has set fire to nearly 900 cars to make a protest look like a riot?

tobyjug said:
Are you seriously suggesting the media or the French government has set fire to nearly 900 cars to make a protest look like a riot?

No, you dick. I was pointing out that when you said you would join a protest but not a riot, you may not actually have any control over the description used.

FFS :rolleyes:

spring-peeper said:

When the demonstrators start damaging other people's property or when they try to fight with the police.

Sometimes demonstrating just doesn't work

May be it does not work because those who try to demonstrate do not have the right for what they actually ask for and are not supported by the majority of the people? Like for example I don't think rioting paedophiles would have right to have sex with children, whatever they think about it.

_pH_ said:
No, you dick. I was pointing out that when you said you would join a protest but not a riot, you may not actually have any control over the description used.

FFS :rolleyes:

Where did I write I would join a protest?

guinnessdrinker said:
pbman said:
Anyways i wonder how long it will take the french to surrender this time.

hmm, everybody involved is french. also, we don't really need you in this thread.

Thats why its taking them awile to surrender...............

And are you going to go around reminding people not to bother posting,unless they write long posts or is this a different?

Anyways.

Fighting with the man, is one thing, buring up old ladys on crutches is anouther.

Thats just to cowardly for words.

Happy now?

TeeJay said:
Yeah right!

edit: "generating more jobs" - so you think the French government should generate more jobs?

Zero

Flavour said:
900+ vehicles burnt out last night according to BBC.
Hands up - who supports the rioters?

Depends. If we get a "La Haine Deux" out of it it might be worth it. :p

Night #10

Last night five classrooms at the Sleeping Beauty Nursery School in Grigny, in the Essonne region south of Paris, went up in flames as well as two classrooms at another school.

In a measure of public dissatisfaction with the government, Yvan Lemaitre, the parent of one of the pupils at the Sleeping Beauty school, told French radio: 'Burning a school is unacceptable but the man who lit the fire is Sarkozy.'

By 1am this morning, at least 607 vehicles were burned - 13 of them inside Paris. The overall figures were expected to climb by daybreak.

source

:(

---------------Yvan Lemaitre, the parent of one of the pupils at the Sleeping Beauty school, told French radio: 'Burning a school is unacceptable but the man who lit the fire is Sarkozy.'
----------------

C'est ca; and that's your actual French.

where to said:
tell you what, if chirac had taken france into iraq..... :eek:

i remember being down at place de la concorde (nr US embassy) on a weekday in april 03-

fifty riot cop BUSSES
ten water cannons
15 armoured vehicle things

fucking mental. i asked some old boy what it was all about he said, it was in case there was going to be a demonstration.....

CRS animals were sitting in their buses and he pointed them out to me, they were sitting having their baguette rolls drinking beer. out of control.
It was the same in Belgium. I was working just outside Brussels in the run up to the war, every friday afternoon I'd be in a cab rushing to get the Eurostar and every friday there'd be this big fucking riot police scene (outside the US embassy) in the way.

Isambard said:
---------------Yvan Lemaitre, the parent of one of the pupils at the Sleeping Beauty school, told French radio: 'Burning a school is unacceptable but the man who lit the fire is Sarkozy.'
----------------

C'est ca; and that's your actual French.

They are a nation of philosphers. ;) :D

What the hell is going on in France?

Bomb factory found?

"Police also found a gasoline bomb-making factory in a derelict building in Evry south of Paris, with more than 100 bottles ready to turned into bombs, another 50 already prepared, as well as fuel stocks and hoods for hiding rioters’ faces, senior Justice Ministry official Jean-Marie Huet told The Associated Press"

"The discovery Saturday night, he said, shows that gasoline bombs “are not being improvised by kids in their bathrooms.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9891709/

mears said:
What the hell is going on in France?

Bomb factory found?

"Police also found a gasoline bomb-making factory in a derelict building in Evry south of Paris, with more than 100 bottles ready to turned into bombs, another 50 already prepared, as well as fuel stocks and hoods for hiding rioters’ faces, senior Justice Ministry official Jean-Marie Huet told The Associated Press"

"The discovery Saturday night, he said, shows that gasoline bombs “are not being improvised by kids in their bathrooms.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9891709/

Bomb factory my arse. Anyone could arrange 100 bottles full of petrol and a few headscarves by this time tomorrow if they really wanted to.

Hmmm Watching Channel 4 - police tear gassing a mosque with women and men inside. And the quot from Chrac saying "The state will be stronger than the rioters" - lol what a cunt.

Barking_Mad said:
Hmmm Watching Channel 4 - police tear gassing a mosque with women and men inside. And the quot from Chrac saying "The state will be stronger than the rioters" - lol what a cunt.
damn chirac. i thought he was going to let sarko hang out to dry as well :(

when was the incident with the mosque? wasn't that a few days ago now?
is C4 leading with this tonight?

questions questions!

Back
Top Bottom