Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remembering Broad Street station, London: from bustling terminus to shopping centre

editor

hiraethified
I used to get the train from here too. :(

broad-street-station-01.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/remembering-broad-street-station-london/

An ex workmate used to be in charge of the nightshift there - he locked himself in the office and read all night .....mind you the day shift wasnt exactly humming with passengers ....

In the late 70's there were 1950's posters in the (disused) waiting rooms ....

A different London then !

A mate of mine took some slides of them - might take some time - but will ask if he still has them and get them scanned - (Holidays in Ireland by rail etc)

In the 1960's the station had a gents retiring room where shoes could be cleaned , and an attendant presided over the needs of the city gents in terms of flannels , brushes etc .....!

Hard to imagine there was a drivers and guards depot there (the staff were transferred to Willesden Jct but there was a real pride in being an ex Broad Street depot man !)

A mate of mine took some slides of them - might take some time - but will ask if he still has them and get them scanned - (Holidays in Ireland by rail etc)
That would be ace - if anyone's got an photos I'd love to include them on my pages!

Back
Top Bottom