Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sprouting your own beans

ShiftyBagLady

Thinks she is a flower to be looked at
Not a euphemism.
How do I go about this then? I have seeds and I was thinking of using a small plastic tray but that's about as far as I'd thought it through. Advice please :)

Big jar, mesh , elastic bands.

Rinse whenever you're near the sink - give them a little light.
Or you could build yourself a tower of power :-

Attachments

• sproutersmall.jpg
    sproutersmall.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 87
A tower of power? That sounds awesome. What is it?#

I have some old tights, so I stick a bit of that over a jar with an elastic band? so they don't sit in the water, you just rinse them?

A tower of power? That sounds awesome. What is it?#

I have some old tights, so I stick a bit of that over a jar with an elastic band? so they don't sit in the water, you just rinse them?
Yep just rinse them in water a couple of times a day and tip it out - you want them to be damp but not sitting in water, and you need to rinse them to stop mould growing.

I sprout stuff (nothing very interesting - mostly mustard, cress, and mung beans) using stacking sprouting trays like the picture gentlegreen posted (although not that many of them!) They're not expensive and worth it if you do a lot of sprouting or plan to regularly have several things on the go at once.

Yep just rinse them in water a couple of times a day and tip it out - you want them to be damp but not sitting in water, and you need to rinse them to stop mould growing.

But that's just too easy, why haven't I done this sooner? :)
So can I stick seeds in with beans?
Can you sprout buckwheat?

But that's just too easy, why haven't I done this sooner? :)
So can I stick seeds in with beans?
Can you sprout buckwheat?
AFAIK you can sprout pretty much any edible seed, as long as it's 'live' (ie. hasn't been crushed or rolled or milled, and isn't too old). I tried sunflower seeds once (for the parrot I used to have, they were too fattening for him whereas sprouting uses up a lot of the fat content while keeping the nutrition), and ended up eating most of them myself in an egg mayo sarnie :oops:

Edit to add: I wouldn't do more than one type of anything in a jar, as the time they take to sprout and be ready differs greatly - even when doing mustard and cress which are similar sized seeds, the cress will be ready long before the mustard. That's why I use the stacking system, you can add trays at different times and just pour water in from the top of the stack - it drains into a tray at the bottom. Even easier than jars. I think I got them in a pound shop.

I'm a bit obsessed with constant salad production - which means indoors for part of the time.

The next stage is things that do need a substrate - like pea sprouts or lettuce ... and artificial lights - I'm musing on seeing if I can produce quality salad at supermarket prices under lights ... and just how well supplied I can be.

This I must have :have:

That's why I use the stacking system, you can add trays at different times and just pour water in from the top of the stack - it drains into a tray at the bottom. Even easier than jars. I think I got them in a pound shop.

Now that sounds like dedicated, serious production and it impresses me greatly :)
I'm going to start with some seeds and some chickpeas.
I really need to eat more buckwheat so I'm going to do some of that too. I love alfalfa so I'll have to buy some seeds.

This thread has reminded me that I need to start some mung beans for my stir fry plans so thank you! The major downfall with sprouting stuff is that you need to be a bit organised and remember to start the bloody things off in time for when you want them, and I am not by nature a well organised person :oops:

That's planting, not sprouting. :eek:

I cant believe i've never heard of sprouting before and after a quick look on google im not much clearer.

So its germinating beans and then eating them before they turn into baby greens? what a sheltered life i have lead...

I'm going to have to try this :) they sound very nutritious!

I cant believe i've never heard of sprouting before and after a quick look on google im not much clearer.

So its germinating beans and then eating them before they turn into baby greens? what a sheltered life i have lead...

Doing it with a little light - unlike the "traditional Chinese" way, you end up making vitamin C .. basically it's unlocking the chemistry of the seed - going as far as you can without supplying nutrients.

You can use a whole variety of beans and seeds - mostly legumes and crucifers - apart, probably from kidney beans which are toxic if uncooked.

My bulk one for cooking has always been those large, light green lentils.

Yes, try it. Let's do it together and have a race :D
I'm going to post pictures because I have nothing better to do

Ok. I bought a pack of A. Vogel biosnacky seeds. It contains mung bean and little radish seeds. According to the packet, they should be ready in 3-5 days.
Phase one: Soaking
Soaking.jpg

My fuzzy sprouts
fuzzysprouts.jpg

That was quick and the radish seeds (i think) taste very peppery. Had some in a salad this evening and it was lovely. I'll have to do more and get some sort of a system in place but I think it's a winner

I bought this today
21DUxKKSCHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am currently sprouting more mung beans, radish seed and buckwheat(which is supposed to sprout really really quickly). I don't have any dried chickpeas or alfalfa which are my favourite sprouts.
Soon.

Back
Top Bottom