Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nematodes in the Fuckin Area!

northernhord

Those slugs they might well tremble in their slime as they hide in my good rich soil, and their young too as they feed on my tender young shoots.
All those years of these lil cunts munching on my hardwork ends here:oops: .

Nematodes in the motherfuckin place, lets get it on sluggies!
All you do is mix the nematodes with water, then water your garden with it and Hundreds of thousands of these nematode critters swim through the soil trashing slugs as they go:cool: , worra fuckin winner to be sure, and these lil nematodes are natural none toxic lil critters who do a damn fine job imo:D

Doesn't it have to be about to rain though? :confused:

I love them but they're pricey. Twice a year treat for me. Usually I just go out with a torch and commit mass murder of an evening with a firm boot and a pair of scissors. Last year someone on here threatened to report me to the RSPCA :oops: :D

It's usually too cold up here to use nematodes until after the slugs have already wreaked havoc.

trashpony said:
Doesn't it have to be about to rain though? :confused:

I love them but they're pricey. Twice a year treat for me. Usually I just go out with a torch and commit mass murder of an evening with a firm boot and a pair of scissors. Last year someone on here threatened to report me to the RSPCA :oops: :D

It was lil damp last night over Hoard Towers and the garden got a proper drenching today before putting the nema's down, they are a bit expensive but I,m gonna try and use it twice over the summer as ive get shed loads, and i mean shed loadsa veg on the go:)

I checked the garden with the security light on earlier and their aint a slug in sight I shit you not, cant believe it can be working so soon???

northernhoard said:
I checked the garden with the security light on earlier and their aint a slug in sight I shit you not, cant believe it can be working so soon???
I haven't used nematodes, but I haven't seen any slugs yet...

...and we were Slug Central last year. If you went out in the night, you could HEAR the fuckers chomping stuff.

Me'thinks I am going to have to invest in some of these little buggers.

I war has started in the green house of our new garden, I have lost 2 out of 15 chilli's to the little fuckers. To put a stop to that I have liberally spread salt on the sides but I am now looking at protecting the carrots and lettuces out in the garden itself. Nematodes sound satisfyingly vicious enough :cool:

Ozric said:
Me'thinks I am going to have to invest in some of these little buggers.

I war has started in the green house of our new garden, I have lost 2 out of 15 chilli's to the little fuckers. To put a stop to that I have liberally spread salt on the sides but I am now looking at protecting the carrots and lettuces out in the garden itself. Nematodes sound satisfyingly vicious enough :cool:
I think they're quite pricey, much as I love the thought of vicious slug-eating worms chewing their way through my sworn enemies from the inside out.

Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with copper wire corrals (which I'll bloody electrify if I have to!), and ferric phosphate pellets, which are apparently not quite so terrible to the wildlife.

What I'd give for a couple of catproof hedgehogs, though...

toggle said:
almost, but not quite
Ah. It occurred to me to find one and bring it into the garden - it's not like it's going to starve...but I don't think I want to inflict 5 cats on it.

I wonder if the rabbit would leap (ha!) to its defence, or just try to shag it...?

ok, hedgies can get curled enough to stop a dog getting to them, but cats generally have a little bit more dexterity and can get a claw into the hedgie's face, they can't quite get their nose all the way under the spines on their bum when they curl

pembrokestephen said:
Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with copper wire corrals (which I'll bloody electrify if I have to!)
Are they supposed to avoid copper then?

Ozric said:
Are they supposed to avoid copper then?
Yeah, they don't like it up 'em...

joneshead.jpg

*prompted to research this*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862

Search for "copper" - clearly my plan of using old solid core wiring isn't going to work: they reckon strips 2-3" wide, so perhaps I need to find an old hot water cylinder...

RIGHT. Two parallel wires, 24V of red hot direct current between the fuckaz. If they don't start to sizzle. Shouldn't harm other wildlife (eg cats, bunny)...

toggle said:
ok, hedgies can get curled enough to stop a dog getting to them, but cats generally have a little bit more dexterity and can get a claw into the hedgie's face, they can't quite get their nose all the way under the spines on their bum when they curl

Apparently urban hedgehogs are evolving not to curl but to run. Their biggest predator these days is the car.

I've not seen my little piggy so far this year :(

Back
Top Bottom