Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Great Underrated Horror Films Thread

akirajoel

well read
Hello.

What I'm asking for here are those really amazing, well made, scary as hell horror films that don't get any of the recognition that they deserve. So please no mentions of any of the obvious choices (The Exorcist, Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street etc).

Inspired by rewatching the awesome Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter. Cool story about science getting to grips with religion and the ultimate evil (that never succums to needless and boring exposition), well-made in a really solid way. Plus - and most importantly - its as sacry as hell. And because there's no obvious star - you've no idea who's gonna live and who's gonna die. You should really see this film.

Anyone else?

Lost Highway - Paranoia is scarier when its true.
Angel Heart - clever and its got Lisa Bonet in it.
Fallen - Underrated horror/thriller.

That talk of highways reminded me:

Its not really a horror film - but it is a really good, underrated thriller: Breakdown. Starring Kurt Russell - cool little story about a man who loses his wife. Pretty much perfect from beginning to end.

:)

akirajoel said:
That talk of highways reminded me:

Its not really a horror film - but it is a really good, underrated thriller: Breakdown. Starring Kurt Russell - cool little story about a man who loses his wife. Pretty much perfect from beginning to end.

:)

With the excellent J.T. Walsh :cool: R.I.P :(

Not seen Breakdown but Kurt has made some great films. Escape from NY, The Thing, Big Trouble...come to think, what happened to John Carpenter? he kinda went shit.

Dead End is another good one.

He making a new one called Psychopath - sounds a bit iffy. Think that Prince of Darkness was the last stone-cold classic he made... Maybe he's just got froze out because he doesn't play the hollywood 'game.'

You're right - he's made loadsa great fucking movies.... :cool:

I remember seeing Breakdown at the London Film Festival years ago. It was the surprise film so no one knew what film they were seeing so when the titles started and the words "Spelling Productions" (90210 Beverly Hills, Melrose Place) appeared on screen the cinema moaned with dissapointment and then when Kurt Russel's name appeared people started leaving. The great thing was that after the film ended there was universal applause from the people who stayed because it was actually a really good film.

Not a horror film mind, more of a thriller.

'In the Mouth of Madness' is an often overlooked horror gem. John Carpenter is a god.

Pet Cemetary
Pumpkin Head
and of course
trilogyofterrorposter.jpg

I would also have to add Paperhouse. OK it's more suspense/creepy rather than outright horror, but there are a few moments which would make anyone's hair stand on end.

jodal said:
'In the Mouth of Madness' is an often overlooked horror gem. John Carpenter is a god.

It's alot better on repeated viewing but still below par for him (as is pretty everthing he's done outside the 80s it seems...).

Kid_Eternity said:
It's alot better on repeated viewing but still below par for him (as is pretty everthing he's done outside the 80s it seems...).
I haven't seen it for years but remember being really impressed and scared by it when I was younger.

Freaks and Angel Heart are both great, great films. Freaks is one of the darkest films I've ever seen and beautifully shot. Didn't think much of Breakdown though. Seemed to lose its way after the first hour and turn into an action movie.
The original Cat People is worth seeing, if only for a masterclass in how to make horror with no SFX.
Audition and The Eye are great modern japanese horror movies. Maybe too popular for this thread.
I love the first Frankenstein movie but nothing scares me more than that film the Olsen twins made.

A lot of these films are recognised classics
I mean Freaks is widely known and appreciated isn't it?

*pedant mode*

The original "The Haunting of Hill House" from 1963 (rather than the bag 'o' shite 1999 remake with Catherien Zeta Whatsit) is super creepy.

There's also a really good old horror film that centres around someone passing a spell to you without you noticing and then a terrible beast coming for you. Great scene on a train at the end where the main bad guy is trying to pass the spell to the hero and he's trying to avoid taking it. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called :confused:

Louloubelle said:
A lot of these films are recognised classics
I mean Freaks is widely known and appreciated isn't it?

*pedant mode*

Fallen is a totally unacknowledged film though. Superb blend of the Seven-style serial killer film and supernatural horror.

what's that film IMMIC set in eastern europe that includes a bizzare scene of a woman having sex with an amorphous squidgy monster? early 80s film

I think I used to have it on VHS and it was called Possessed, but it must have other names as it's hard to find.

Pretty obscure, but known to horror film buffs.

I liked The Addiction too, much underrated IMO

Mrs Miggins said:
The original "The Haunting of Hill House" from 1963 (rather than the bag 'o' shite 1999 remake with Catherien Zeta Whatsit) is super creepy.

There's also a really good old horror film that centres around someone passing a spell to you without you noticing and then a terrible beast coming for you. Great scene on a train at the end where the main bad guy is trying to pass the spell to the hero and he's trying to avoid taking it. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called :confused:

The first one is called The Haunting and far from being underrated it's considered a genuine classic. :)

The second one is Night of the Demon by Jacques Tourneur and it's based on the MR James story Casting the Runes. Great film.

A few films I'd like to add:

The Exorcist III
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Lady in White (was on the telly last Friday)
The Tenant (by Polanski)
The Devil's Backbone
Calvaire
Malefique

jodal said:

One of his best horror films no doubt. Can't believe it's never gotten a UK DVD release though.

Lost my original video but had the luck to find one in a video shops bargain bin!

Isn't Prince Of Darkness on the telly sometime this week, or have i just missed it? :(

The haunting nad night of the demon are both wonderful films
the evil magician in night of the demon was based on alistair crowley

Mrs Miggins said:

Night of the Demon?

Moggy said:
One of his best horror films no doubt. Can't believe it's never gotten a UK DVD release though.

Lost my original video but had the luck to find one in a video shops bargain bin!

Isn't Prince Of Darkness on the telly sometime this week, or have i just missed it? :(
Yeah I bought my copy in the US. Somebody should take it upon themselves and release it in the UK.

The Devils Backbone! That's an amazing movie. Guillermo del Toro just nails it. Plus the title was cool in Spanish: 'el espinazo del diablo.'

RenegadeDog said:
I would also have to add Paperhouse. OK it's more suspense/creepy rather than outright horror, but there are a few moments which would make anyone's hair stand on end.

Not seen Paperhouse, saw the trailer once and it looked creepy. Think it's a British production ennit?

Don't Look Now is another scarey movie. Pretty deep too.

I hate killer drawfs.

Back
Top Bottom