Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tesco to eat Brixton

corporate whore

oh, thought you were dead
Here's a thing for you Brixton people - Tesco are in negotiations with ver council over what appears to be a massive expansion of their store.

Great pic in this article, btw, nice one the SLP

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/News.cfm?id=5164

ACF2B8F.jpg

Hmm...I'm skeptical about this actually happening though.
Haven't Tesco already got a site in Streatham to build a massive store? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that there's a ruling where superstore chains are only allowed x amount of superstores in x amount of area, I can't remember the exact ruling but it's stopped some Tesco stores from going ahead.

I wish newspapers would wait until they've got some useful facts or information to give us, before printing these stupid stories.

Haven't Tesco already got a site in Streatham to build a massive store? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that there's a ruling where superstore chains are only allowed x amount of superstores in x amount of area, I can't remember the exact ruling but it's stopped some Tesco stores from going ahead.

Yep they've screwed Lambeth over that deal as well, depsite the Council bleating about the new ice rink and lesiure facilities they have to build as part of the deal.

Yes but that ruling was only to stop the spread of new out of town supermarkets - the barn type buildings you see on the edge of most UK towns. I think there are no restrictions beyond having to get planning permission etc on existing shops expanding. Never underestimate the power and force of Tesco!

Tesco are building a large shop in Streatham on the site of the ice rink (or rather is building a 'hub' which will incorporate a new leisure centre including ice rink, housing and a new Tesco shop: see http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Go...m-regeneration-scheme-reaches-major-milestone)
but that is in a different town centre 2-3 miles away so is unlikely to have any impact on the application to expand.

Well I am afraid it is completely true! No one has spoken to the residential owners of Porden Road (Between Lambeth town hall and Tescos). And it is funny how that Porden Road, which has about 18 houses on it and even Buckner road do not appear in any of the Future Brixton plans - they are replaced with a Tesco retail park and council buildings. Look at the Visioning Framework PDF of their future proposals at http://www.futurebrixton.co.uk/thinking_so_far - careful though as it is 24mg!

Well I am afraid it is completely true! No one has spoken to the residential owners of Porden Road (Between Lambeth town hall and Tescos). And it is funny how that Porden Road, which has about 18 houses on it and even Buckner road do not appear in any of the Future Brixton plans - they are replaced with a Tesco retail park and council buildings. Look at the Visioning Framework PDF of their future proposals at http://www.futurebrixton.co.uk/thinking_so_far - careful though as it is 24mg!

what a load of shite those artist impressions are :D

It's so twatty, I don't even know where to start :(

I wonder what a Visioning Framework is (I wonder if Visioning is a word :hmm: )

I laugh at their shitey meaningless wankspeak:
• Brixton will prosper economically to the benefit of its local community.
• Brixton will manage its own destiny – be proactive, not reactive.
• Brixton will use its built and cultural heritage to become an iconic visitor
destination within London.
• Brixton will have a vibrant, living heart, with first class spaces and places.
• Brixton will educate and train its people and enable them to deliver a unique and
lasting legacy.

I question the need for (and sustainability of) a "cultural music hub at the north end of the town centre" when we already have so many quality music venues.

I don't get why they are so insistent on promoting Brixton as a tourist destination - I love it and all, but there's not an awful lot to see during the day (other than the market, which is, uh, a food market).

On the plus side, they seem keen to encourage new and better schools and their statement is ok I guess:

BRIXTON WILL BE PROUD OF ITS HISTORY, COMFORTABLE WITH ITS PRESENT AND AMBITIOUS FOR ITS FUTURE, AND WILL REJECT THE ORDINARY, THE LOWER QUALITY AND STANDARD FORMS OF NEW DEVELOPMENT.

I agree the regeneration is good in places and I also agree questioning the need to make it a tourist destination.

What I totally disagree with is turfing people out of their homes that they own the land on! Who gives them to the right to decide on where you live and force you out of your home by using a CPO (Compulsary Purchase Order)

It sucks!

I agree the regeneration is good in places and I also agree questioning the need to make it a tourist destination.

What I totally disagree with is turfing people out of their homes that they own the land on! Who gives them to the right to decide on where you live and force you out of your home by using a CPO (Compulsary Purchase Order)

It sucks!

Well, statute gives them the right... but I'd be dead against using that power just to enlarge a bloody Tescos!

Only found out on Monday night - plus one of the councillors supports it! We are working on it since we found out...

Fucking pinko. How dare you think your home is more important than Tesco. are you some sort of communist failure?

Yes but that ruling was only to stop the spread of new out of town supermarkets - the barn type buildings you see on the edge of most UK towns. I think there are no restrictions beyond having to get planning permission etc on existing shops expanding. Never underestimate the power and force of Tesco!

AFAIK they do have to get planning permission to expand the floor area of a store, but not to re-jig existing floorspace or to add in a mezzanine level. Nor do they have to get planning permission to buy up and use existing retail space.

Corporate Watch has a useful information sheet entitled 'Checkout Chuck-out,' explaining how to go about opposing a proposed supermarket development. It can be done, even against the might of Tescon, but it isn't easy. Good luck to those planning to fight this: most British cities need more Tesco stores about as much as they need a nuclear bomb.

<e2a>
Links and info here: http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=1910

Yep they've screwed Lambeth over that deal as well, depsite the Council bleating about the new ice rink and lesiure facilities they have to build as part of the deal.

How have they? :confused:

Tesco are building a large shop in Streatham on the site of the ice rink (or rather is building a 'hub' which will incorporate a new leisure centre including ice rink, housing and a new Tesco shop: see http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Go...m-regeneration-scheme-reaches-major-milestone)
but that is in a different town centre 2-3 miles away so is unlikely to have any impact on the application to expand.

Right I see, I was living near these out of town places when the ruling came in and a store got stopped from being built.

So, what's the best way to contest this then? :)

This issue is still going on.I got an email from Future Brixton saying that the "Masterplan" is delayed again for further consultation.This apparently is due to the issue of the Tesco site "expansion".

The Green party site has more info on plus the article from South London Press about secret discussions between Tescos and senior offcers that starts this thread.

http://lambeth.greenparty.org.uk/stoptesco.html

The Green party have an online petition against the expansion.

I thought that the Future Brixton consultation was open and residents would be asked about the Councils future plans.It now appears that FB officers have been involved in secret talks with Tesco that would have been put into the "Masterplan".This "Masterplan" would then have been put to Committee for agreement.It appear the Council have yet to do a study of how the expansion will affect the rest of Brixtons shops in the High road and the Market.Im afraid the thought of "planning gain" is too much of a temptation for the Council.

Seems to me that if the Council wants to do a deal with Tescos as part of the new "Masterplan" it should keep residents updated.Im on the FB email list and I havent.

It appears that the secret talks with senior officers include the Council using its powers to Compulsory Purchase private houses on Porden Road so Tescos can expand.In return Tescos will offer some "planning gain" for redevelopment of Council offices.At one point they were offering a new school to be built on the roof of Tescos.

The Council will argue that this is a "Regeneration" project and will fit in with the remit of the Masterplan to regenerate Brixton

This statement is laughable: "• Brixton will manage its own destiny – be proactive, not reactive." Countries are struggling to manage their own destinies - the idea that a single neighbourhood can do it is just empty tosh.

Shouldn't the fact that Tesco is in the hole (recent financial results) mean that there should be a brake put on this plan from their side?

i cant believe i missed this thread first time around back in april :mad:

i've done a lot of research on this and tesco have a serious history of doing this all over the country. it's a real danger for all the small businesses in brixton. tesco will blag the council in any way they can in order to expand, its their modus operandi.

looking at what they've done elsewhere in the country you can deduce that - despite what they say - they aren't good for the community, they aren't good for the local economy (they actually take money away), they dont "create jobs" and they aren't even as cheap as they make out.

fuck tesco

Back
Top Bottom