Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Against police brutality - Saturday 11th, Bethnal Green nick

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
Please help keep the pressure on. None of us can afford to let this drop no matter what our political allegiances are. Please come along to this so that they know they can't sweep this under the carpet easily.

----------------------------

Against Police brutality- Saturday 11th April-

WHEN: This Sat the 11th of April...11am

WHERE: From Bethnal Green Police station to Bank

Over the last week across London there has been a series of demonstrations
and protests against the policies and programs implemented by the G20
leaders.

We are taking to the streets to express our compassion with the family of
Ian Tomlinson who tragically died during the 1 April protests at the Bank
of England. We are calling for an independent public inquiry into the
instances of police violence that occurred thoughout the week and to
establish the true circumstances of his death.

We wish to communicate our disgust and anger at the violent and brutal
policing of the G20 demonstrations.

The press once again created an atmosphere of fear and violence in the
lead up to the protests, preemptively justifying the police violence that
occurred. They also misreported and lied about the circumstances of the
tragedy. We recognise that for many communities the reality of police
violence is a daily occurrence. The demonisation of communities, like the
demonisation of protesters makes police violence seem normal.

As the crisis deepens and continues there will be increased resistance -
from factory occupations to demonstrations, strikes and people coming
together on the streets. We need to speak out now to defend our freedom to
protest, our communities and our dignity.

All the best with this - hope lots of people make it.

Sorry i can't go myself.

I'm gonna try my best to make it, but i don;t really want to get to my mums on sunday with bandages round me bonce. Is there a meeting point for an urban contingant?

I'm gonna try my best to make it, but i don;t really want to get to my mums on sunday with bandages round me bonce. Is there a meeting point for an urban contingant?

I too will be there if at all possible. I'll have to come a fair way though, is anyone providing convergance/crash space for this? Would be good to meet up with some fellow urbs as well.

I too will be there if at all possible. I'll have to come a fair way though, is anyone providing convergance/crash space for this? Would be good to meet up with some fellow urbs as well.

if you're anywhere near hertfordshire, I'd be up for travelling down with you :)

Cannae answer either of those questions. Due to my mental health related flakiness with crowds I cannot be relied on to organise anything for a demo I can't even be guaranteed to attend. I've head nothing about convergance space or owt but if i do i will post it up.

Are people still being asked to wear black as if for a funeral? I think I read that in the Guardian or somewhere?

I'd be happy to have a couple of people stay at mine (I'm really near both locations), if they're people I've met before or who can be vouched for. (You seem alright too. :D) I'll have my daughter with me, though, and don't think I'd be able to go to the demo.

natch wont be at protest due to geographics..
But will be around 'online' if anything needs done etc..

whats the feeling on the ground, is it looking like a large turnout?
hope so..

natch wont be at protest due to geographics..
But will be around 'online' if anything needs done etc..

whats the feeling on the ground, is it looking like a large turnout?
hope so..

dunno is it going to rain on saturday? :hmm: [/fair weather protester]

seeing as you're local, can you suggest anywhere for urbs to meet up sam?

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub2814.html The Hare pub would probably be the easiest - a decent size, easy to get to from Bethnal Green tube (a ten minute walk if you're lazy, straight up Cambridge Heath Rd - you can't get lost) or a two minute walk from Cambridge Heath Rail station, and on the way to the Vicky Park location. I'm not sure it'd be open at that time, but you could call up to find out.

not going to be able to make this, got a stoinking hangover, and I've got to get my nephew and sister birthday presents and easter eggs.

I hope those filthy pig cunts keep their batons in their pockets. Have a peaceful march, and please stay safe if it does turn ugly :)

The formal part of the march has just finished. It's been sombre and dignified so far, and the policing respectful. There were a few lines of TSG vehicles tucked away but they didn't make an appearance.

Ian's son, Paul King, made a very emotional speech on the steps of Bethnal Green police station, although the family didn't join the march.

During the closing speeches a few of the masked youth types shouted a few bits, but the general mood was quiet and people shh'd them.

There's now going to be a vigil at the spot where Ian Tomlinson died.

All quite emotional stuff.

Back
Top Bottom