Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

just back from rampart, locked down completely, evicting and arresting those inside on "suspicion of being involved in trouble yesterday" - i aksed on what evidential grounds this was taking place and was told to move on or face arrest myself. there are probably 60-100 riot cops, along with loads of other plod, enough vans and they even took along 2 armoured cars ffs!!! i repeat 2 armoured vehicles were in attendance.

Armoured cars to evict a squat???? How many people were there? Was there a huge crowd outside?

Armoured cars to evict a squat???? How many people were there? Was there a huge crowd outside?
A few locals have gathered, the legal observors are back and watching the entrance but most people seemed to swallow the lies that there were hard-core baby-eating anarchists in their midsts and thus sanguine about such heavy-handedness occuring in their neighbourhood.

just back from rampart, locked down completely, evicting and arresting those inside on "suspicion of being involved in trouble yesterday" - i aksed on what evidential grounds this was taking place and was told to move on or face arrest myself. there are probably 60-100 riot cops, along with loads of other plod, enough vans and they even took along 2 armoured cars ffs!!! i repeat 2 armoured vehicles were in attendance.

Sounds like plenty of people will have grounds to sue for wrongful arrest. Apart from the RBS window smashing (those responsible for which appear to have all been nicked at the time) there seems to have been precious little trouble, at least from the demonstrators. Clearly this was part of the police plan all along, and has little to do with anything that actually happened yesterday.

If these cunts want to see what happens when thousands of people get really mad then they're going about it the right way...

BBC Live just reported from BoE. They had a suited City worker who was an eye witness to the man dying last night. Setting aside his speculation about the guy (he was told by the reporter in no uncertain terms not to speculate), he said that the guy wasn't in his 30s, more like 50s. He said that the police had been charging in 20 yard rushes, and people including this guy were retreating accordingly. The guy fell hitting his head. Someone with a megaphone called to the police for medics and immediately the police came over. There were a couple of missiles but the rest of the crowd shouted to leave off and it immediately stopped. The police then dragged the guy back behind the cordonand the missiles started again. That's according to this guy, anyway.

No reporting of the police allegedly breaking up the service.

BBC Live just reported from BoE. They had a suited City worker who was an eye witness to the man dying last night. Setting aside his speculation about the guy (he was told by the reporter in no uncertain terms not to speculate), he said that the guy wasn't in his 30s, more like 50s. He said that the police had been charging in 20 yard rushes, and people including this guy were retreating accordingly. The guy fell hitting his head. Someone with a megaphone called to the police for medics and immediately the police came over. There were a couple of missiles but the rest of the crowd shouted to leave off and it immediately stopped. The police then dragged the guy back behind the cordonand the missiles started again. That's according to this guy, anyway.

No reporting of the police allegedly breaking up the service.

:eek:

Fuck me!

If that is all true I REALLY REALLY hope that the police are brought to account over it.

I'm looking forward to the trial of the RBS window breakers - it could be a disaster for the police because they will be cross-examined about whether they planned entrapment of the demonstrators all along.

The police have already confirmed there were officers inside RBS when the windows were broken - which solves the mystery of why they weren't boarded up. Let's assume they were a FIT team - it would be a waste to have any general purpose officers in there.

So the defence may be able to show provocation - the police planned in advance to pen the protestors in front of a target which they knew to be a focus of public anger.

Plus the police had arranged for the target to be undefended (unlike all the other buildings in the area) so they could hide a FIT team in there. Surely that's also a mitigating factor? Any insurance company would say the police were partly responsible for the damage.

Maybe none of it was planned, but when it's all picked over in court we ought to be able to find out the truth for once.
Which is why there won't be any trial.

I should have posted this here, but it went in the other thread........

From a Guardian article about trapping people.

I was held at the climate camp til midnight last night. When I arrived
at 6pm to celebrate the creative sight of a camp in london's grey
financial streets, the police
allowed me to walk straight into the camp with my bike. As the reports
have said, the atmosphere was very warm and positive; school children
and old time protesters sharing a space full of colour and music.
Within an hour of arriving, those same police, who had stepped back
and let me through, closed in around the camp and refused to let
anyone in or out. I then watched the police push forward into the
crowd with brutality that was not only shocking but utterly
unecessary. All the protesters put their hands in the air and sat down
collectively on the road. Yet as the crowd lowered I saw a young man
stagger back with his head split open, another boy with a broken nose,
a girl next to me had been kicked between the legs. People were badly
hurt and the atsmophere spun into a frightened panic. A friend of mine
from university who had come from Nottingham to join the camp just put
his head in his hands and cried. This was the scene, minutes after
people had been allowed to wander into the camp without any warning of
the planned police actions, or any chance to leave peacefully. As they
rolled in back up police and black armoured riot vans, and as the
police kicked and crushed people's bikes, the
protesters called out to them, and the onlooking bankers, up in their
ivory towers, 'This is not a riot!'. As their battons came down, Legal
Observors called out to people to take the police numbers of those who
had hurt protesters; on mass the line of police all covered up their
badges. It was a chilling show of a police unaccountable to their own
laws, and their own humanity. The police were indeed braced for
violence, but most of that young crowd of protesters were not.

Despite our repeated requests to be searched and allowed to leave the
space, we were held there for 6 hours with no access to water, food,
toilets or medical care. Proudly, throughout all this, not one person
in the crowd reacted with violence to any person or property. People
shared the little they had and held public meetings about the aims of
the G20 summit. There was little show of anger, but much unhappiness.
When finally we were herded out one by one at midnight, I felt cold to
the core, chilled by the unprovoked agression of those who I had been
brought up to trust. I am deeply ashamed of my state, when reasonable
and calm protesters are criminalised and provoked in such a manner.
Their use of section 14 on 800 campers was mindless, their violence
was a tragedy and their very presence, with armoured cars and
helicopters, a ridiculous waste of public money.
I am writing this today because I grew up in this city and treasure
the right to use this city space to speak out to our elected leaders
in a peaceful, creative way. There were no harmful intentions in that
climate camp, but the harm done by the police last night goes far
deeper that the physical wounds inflicted; it is in the chaos of
unnecessary state violence that fear is born and trust is lost.

You do know they won't be? At least not by the authorities.:(

Not a chance in hell. We already know they can shoot people and get away with it, even if it is as clear as day that irresponsible crowd control and violent directly caused this bloke's death then the coppers involved, as well as the fuckers who thought up these tactics, will still be back on the streets before you can say 'whitewash' :(

Which is why there won't be any trial.

Quite. If the RBS thing was indeed a plod stitch up then the intention will have been to manufacture some 'violence' to justify the kettlings, beatings and now convergance centre raids they'd had planned all along. They won't give a fuck about a couple of convictions for property damage.

Not a chance in hell. We already know they can shoot people and get away with it, even if it is as clear as day that irresponsible crowd control and violent directly caused this bloke's death then the coppers involved, as well as the fuckers who thought up these tactics, will still be back on the streets before you can say 'whitewash' :(
Quite. The police don't commit crimes, they make mistakes.

The police are out of control and beyond the law.

They need to be stopped.

From now on "bring the police back under control" should be added to the list alongside 'justice, peace & environment' for all progressive movements.

you can't bring that which you never had control over back under control (a vigilanty state sanctioned force = police). The only thing to do is erradicate them either by legislation or other means...

of course the legislative way is more peaceable and has the possiblities of evolution of the role into one which is designed to protect humanity and human rights over property rights, however failing this there are other ways...

Back
Top Bottom