Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Evolutionary strategies/behaviours and culture

More fully ... if it is not the question 'whether or how the Kantian framework fits the real world' then how can that framework be of use in changing the world?

It would seem to me it could still be helpful when it comes to interpretation, but in terms of being able to engage with and change the real world, we have to understand how a view of the world (a metaphysic, a theory, an ideology, whatever) gains traction; how it fits; how the rubber grips the road.

I disagree that methodologically one mayn't measure in absolute terms (or assume provisionally that one can, to make the sums easier for example -- which comes to much the same thing from my pov). This is not to say that objective view is attainable -- only that an objective world exists, independently of our senses. And that we can make correct assertions about it (even if it's not possible strictly to prove those assertions).

None of this is to claim knowledge available only to a God, not to my way of thinking at any rate. It's most certainly not to claim there is only one way to see the world - I really don't understand where you plucked that from - just that there is one world which can validly be seen in a multiplicity of ways. There's nothing remotely arrogant and patronising about such a view, there really isn't.

So no, I never claimed to know 'exactly what the real world is like - absolutely'. I really haven't. I've only claimed that a real world exists, and that we can make true statements about it (even if we cannot prove it of any particular true statement). I think that's an entirely realistic view myself.

You say
We cannot know or even presume that we know that world "as it really is" - we can only know it in Human terms, as Human Beings, limited and finite, in need of co-operation to keep becoming Human and fulfil our needs, and only insofar as we reach into that world and appropriate it for ourselves through our labour/effort, hence we can only get/take out what we put in, as it were...​
But I say we may presume to know, and to see how far it gets us. That transcendance is the name of the game here. This is not to deny humanity, it is to embrace an essential part of what it means to be able to reflect on oneself. For all that the universe is the ultimate free lunch, it remains true that we can only exist in human terms, how could it be otherwise?

A few things to think about...

Nope, I do not concur, when it comes to that lingo quote. That is a specific pov, when it comes to Philosophy of Language, not the only or the Absolute one! Live with it! Moreover, you won't get far in Philosophy with this "non-contradiction" stuff, the minute you step into Hegel's work, for instance... Things are not exclusively and absolutely separately black or white in a speculative, dialectical position, such as Hegel's...

From the nature of language [from Plato's Kratilos to Hegel/Humbolt etc. etc.] onwards - you have a looooong way to go. Btw, please have a look up where Phil told you about de Saussure.

I am somewhat qualified to tell you that as I have studied it and I do know of a few problems in there. You, however, think you have it all figured out and jump in with both feet, with this, for Philosophy, silly little idea of the "outside world" and "us" simply "corresponding to it", where the measure is "utility" and "what works/is useful/helpful", the way you understand it... To whom? For what? Judging by which standards/criteria? Many things are presumed here! I have news for you: this is a rather disputed and a kind of common sense approach, which doesn't do wonders for one in what most of the Philosophically developed world considers Philosophy, sorry...:)

When it comes to your "knowing realistically" but never being able to prove anything - I cringe. Some position that is. You will invalidate Philosophical views because of... who knows what[?], but your own, claiming to know what something really is like - you can't prove at all... And you want to measure everything by that?!? You kinda estimate it - if you're lucky that something "works" or is "useful"... And then you say - what? This is the measure of all things, Philosophy included? Ahem...

Most of the time you present your views as if Science has the absolute measure, as if there's one Science and only one methodology. Only now do you allow for multiplicity of views, after much wrangling - but still no place for Philosophical views, other than yours, positivist or otherwise...

That "outside" world [Earth, the way we know it] - btw - is ours and we are transforming it and managing it, sometimes better, sometimes worse - but nevertheless, our world. We may see it as an unlimited resource to our peril, of course, and if we do not then we may arrange our relationship with it more rationally, in which case it wouldn't be strictly objectifying it but in a more inter-subjective manner, I suppose... Ontologically speaking...:D And gnoseologically speaking: please go back and read slowly, with an open mind...;) I thank you...:D :cool:

Cheers!

What do you think is wrong with saying that some things are true, but not provably true?

jonti said:
Do you disagree with this, and if so why?
perception necessarily has grammatical rules which are not arbitrary. Those rules are instead evolved by selection for an environment that has certain fundamental pre-existing features, including distance and direction - and ... non-contradiction.
gorski said:
Nope, I do not concur, when it comes to that lingo quote.
You are saying you don't think the grammatical rules of perception are affected by the evolution of a species? :eek:

Don't you think our species evolved in a world, on a planet, that was already in existence?

Or is it - perish the thought - that because your philosophy has no notion of evolution, you have trouble assimilating the idea of evolution into your thinking?

Just a thought, like!

Jonti said:
You are saying you don't think the grammatical rules of perception are affected by the evolution of a species? :eek:

Don't you think our species evolved in a world, on a planet, that was already in existence?

Or is it - perish the thought - that because your philosophy has no notion of evolution, you have trouble assimilating the idea of evolution into your thinking?

Just a thought, like!

Jonti, m8: the way you think on the subject is extremely simplistic [with a certain amount of scientific prejudices/presumptions], if I may say so, and you keep missing the really [philosophically speaking] important/essential stuff for non-issues!

The Q's are, as Kant already put the problem quite clearly, in his Revolution of Reason, for a Modern Man, that is - and now, please go back and see the real issues, as I have mentioned them many times... and read it slowly.

But you will have to change your preconceptions, though. You will not get very far in philosophy with "we are in the world, we have to adapt to it, there are absolutes in there, we can't but oblige"...

Stop inventing hot water all over again, m8 and stop regurgitating the same old same old: open your mind to a different type of thinking, a philosophical kind of thinking and forget the scientific stuff for a while! Well, if you want to learn something new, that is...;) :cool:

Else, why do you bother???:confused:

Well, I'm not going to learn anything from a person who won't answer simple questions, that's for sure! Like, to give a recent example, 'What do you think is wrong with saying that some things are true, but not provably true?'

I've come to the conclusion that it's quite pointless trying to get you to answer any question that Kant hasn't already answered for you a couple of hundred years ago. So, along with a great many other posters here, I'm officially giving up on you. ... I'm no longer going to bother asking you questions or answering yours. :)

You lasted a lot longer than I did! I mean, how am I supposed to tease meaning out of sentence structures like:

"The Q's are, as Kant already put the problem quite clearly, in his Revolution of Reason, for a Modern Man, that is - and now, please go back and see the real issues, as I have mentioned them many times... and read it slowly."

:confused: Jeeeez, you guys just don't have the staying power for sophisticated ideas do you??:rolleyes:

You're symptomatic of today's world, what with the media shooting ideas at you from left and from right, and you just don't know how to decode it any more so you give up, latch onto the lowest common denominator and cling on for dear life. Well, I'm sorry if you won't loosen your grip on an ingrained mindset and open yourselves to the wonderful possibilities that an enlightened interpretation of all the so-called "facts" can reveal, I really am.

Now where's that nice Mr Dwyer? I need him to clarify something for me.

;) :eek: :p

Could be the case, indeed...

I have written it many times and given plenty of elements to start reading and informing oneself. I can't do it for you, sorry. It takes time and effort. If it could be done in a "media manner", kinda silver bullet type of thinking, do you think we'd [Humanity as a whole, that is] bother, for so many centuries, all our lives...???

That's ok. I've read plenty of books myself, but your points still seem to woosh around in a swirl of barely connected what was I saying? Maybe I am too ignorant. I'll come back when I've improved myself :)

EDIT: PS: I'm sorry, but I have a pretty low regard for most 'philosophy' - which, to me, is mostly fun word games for the intellectually playful.

Crispy said:
That's ok. I've read plenty of books myself, but your points still seem to woosh around in a swirl of barely connected what was I saying? Maybe I am too ignorant. I'll come back when I've improved myself :)
Yeah, thicky.

Crispy said:
1) Maybe I am too ignorant. I'll come back when I've improved myself :)

2) EDIT: PS: I'm sorry, but I have a pretty low regard for most 'philosophy' - which, to me, is mostly fun word games for the intellectually playful.

1) That's the beginning of all the wisdom!! ;) :)

2) It shows. But it also depends on which Philosophy. How and when you read it. Seriously/studiously/systematically, with proper help, in a methodical manner or as a light hearted attempt to get into it a bit? And so on...:cool:

gorski said:
Seriously/studiously/systematically, with proper help, in a methodical manner or as a light hearted attempt to get into it a bit? And so on...

You sound like a priest.

Yes, he does; and the way he wriggles away from direct questions puts me in mind of our religiously motivated colleagues too.

Is Kant your religion, gorski? You certainly talk as if it is!

Jonti said:
gorski, lbj's post was meant satirically ...

That is why I ignored it, m8!:cool:

But the "staying power" and the "speed of life" hence "no patience and open mindedness to novelty which challenges prejudices" points do apply. Besides, I did warn about that many a time before his post, in my own words!;)

Jonti said:
Yes, he does; and the way he wriggles away from direct questions puts me in mind of our religiously motivated colleagues too.

Don't talk rubbish, both of you, High Priests of Scientism!:rolleyes: :D

You think the world would die if you'd let go from the Totem of Science and Technology, Utility and Pragmatism... Jeez, how little you know yourselves...:p

You're talking to somebody who does know how to think critically and deals with your points, one by one, unlike you, constantly evading, like eels...:rolleyes: But everything/everybody has its/his limits...:cool:

Jonti said:
Except that it's *your* hoary old philosophy which is failing to keep up!

Says God who has no clue about Philosophy whatsoever [even the ABC!!] but that doesn't stop you from judging it as if you spent your whole life studying it...

Maybe you should re-read lbj's post SERIOUSLY!!!:rolleyes: :D

Crispy said:
You sound like a priest.

What the fuck do you want? To be on equal terms in a debate on the topics/issues you do not know about properly - in an area I studied for some 27 years in a professional manner...??? The authority of knowledge has its place for a reason! Why is it so difficult for you to give credit where credit is due?:confused: I certainly gave it to Jonti in an area he knew more about than me. Well... I rest my case...:rolleyes:

Jonti said:

If it didn't come from somebody praying on the altar of Scientism maybe I'd listen...:rolleyes:

Had you read anything I wrote so far with any care and attention you might have seen that it's Hegel who had the last word on the issues... That just about proves it... how much you read and understand. So, why do I bother?!?:rolleyes: :(

gorski said:
it's Hegel who had the last word on the issues...
My mistake. Hegel, then.

Hegel is have the last word on ideas and methods that were developed long after he died.

According to his religious followers, I s'pose. :D

littlebabyjesus said:
Now where's that nice Mr Dwyer? I need him to clarify something for me.

Hello. This thread is a fascinating and symptomatic instance of the mutual incomprehension between Anglo-American and Continental philosophies. Jonti hasn't read what Gorski's read, and Gorski hasn't read what Jonti's read, so they'll just go round in circles.

phildwyer said:
Hello. This thread is a fascinating and symptomatic instance of the mutual incomprehension between Anglo-American and Continental philosophies. Jonti hasn't read what Gorski's read, and Gorski hasn't read what Jonti's read, so they'll just go round in circles.
And once they've both read each other's stuff, they can spiral round and round before disappearing up/down an orifice of your choosing :)

Sorry, I'll be off now.

phildwyer said:

Not quite: I certainly read a lot of that for Gnoseology, Logics and Ontology and more. It was a must, you agreed with it or not. Kuhn, Popper, Russell, Mead, Peirce, the whole lot of the main ones. Not gonna say I enjoyed it [well, here and there I did, like the last two], I certainly have a big problem, with Pragmatism, Utilitarianism, Positivism, Analytical Philosophy, Symbolic Logics etc.

And I wager good money I do not have that Jonti and Crispy had read fook all when it comes to Hegel and co. or the latter developments! And what they may have read [like a little bit of Kant] they didn't understand at all!!! That is obvious!;) :cool:

If we are name dropping here, it is obvious that you haven't read Schopenhauer, who took Kant and excised the mysticism from his ideas, while Hegel merely embedded it even further.

We can all play that game.

The real trick, and one that you have failed to pull off in this thread, is to explain the ideas you have read to others.

gorski said:
Says God who has no clue about Philosophy whatsoever [even the ABC!!] but that doesn't stop you from judging it as if you spent your whole life studying it...

Maybe you should re-read lbj's post SERIOUSLY!!!:rolleyes: :D
You're funny!

LBJ was almost the first to give up on you! :D

littlebabyjesus said:
If we are name dropping here, it is obvious that you haven't read Schopenhauer, who took Kant and excised the mysticism from his ideas, while Hegel merely embedded it even further.

We can all play that game.

The real trick, and one that you have failed to pull off in this thread, is to explain the ideas you have read to others.
:)

phildwyer said:
Again Phil speaks sense.

Back
Top Bottom