Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Fall @ The Cartoon, Croydon - 4 nights!!

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
Me mate has bought The cartoon, and has tried to revamp it up a bit, and has booked The Fall for 4 nights in March (as well as Chas n Dave and Chumbawamba). www.thecartoon.co.uk

thefall.jpg

Which brings me to my next point - where should i start with The Fall? Whats a good album to get into - i love Pavement by the way, if that helps.

D'wards said:
Me mate has bought The cartoon, and has tried to revamp it up a bit, and has booked The Fall for 4 nights in March (as well as Chas n Dave and Chumbawamba). www.thecartoon.co.uk

thefall.jpg

Which brings me to my next point - where should i start with The Fall? Whats a good album to get into - i love Pavement by the way, if that helps.
Great stuff, I'm in! I haven't even set foot in there since DMBT played about 18 months back...hopefully there's less of that hair metal going on there this time round... :p :cool:

Apart from the best of compilation released on Sanctuary a couple of years back ('50,000 Fall fans Can't Be Wrong') there can't be a single Fall album to start at - the discography is just too labyrinthine. There's a whole brace of albums that I feel should be obtained at first. In chronological order: 'Live At The Witch Trials'; 'Dragnet'; 'Hex Enduction Hour'; 'This Nation's Saving Grace'; 'Extricate'; 'Code: Selfish'; 'Levitate'; 'The Unutterable'; 'Fall Heads Roll'. Then there is a whole second tier, then a third, of albums to plug the gaps, but starting with these can't lead you far wrong. :)

And nice try folks, but Ten Pole Tudor are so not in the same league as the mighty Fall-ah. Scientific FACT.
icon14.gif

Fucking hell :eek:

The Cartoon hehehe I might have to go to this :) Just because its Croydon, its the Cartoon and its been mentioned on urban.

£15 for the Cartoon! heh

Callie said:
Fucking hell :eek:

The Cartoon hehehe I might have to go to this :) Just because its Croydon, its the Cartoon and its been mentioned on urban.

£15 for the Cartoon! heh

I know - its a throughly unglamourous venue - the bands have to walk right thru the centre of the crowd to get on stage, and it only holds 200-250, which is why its gotta be a must "For Fans only" type gig, eh.

It'll be rammed!

Never really been a cartoon goer but I went when it closed down and became 'the cool rooms'. Have been wanting to go to a gig for ages and seeing as Croydon is my old stomping ground I'll be up for this :)

Callie said:
It'll be rammed!

Never really been a cartoon goer but I went when it closed down and became 'the cool rooms'. Have been wanting to go to a gig for ages and seeing as Croydon is my old stomping ground I'll be up for this :)
Sounds like a great idea for a SXSE event... ;)

acid priest said:
Apart from the best of compilation released on Sanctuary a couple of years back ('50,000 Fall fans Can't Be Wrong') there can't be a single Fall album to start at - the discography is just too labyrinthine. There's a whole brace of albums that I feel should be obtained at first. In chronological order: 'Live At The Witch Trials'; 'Dragnet'; 'Hex Enduction Hour'; 'This Nation's Saving Grace'; 'Extricate'; 'Code: Selfish'; 'Levitate'; 'The Unutterable'; 'Fall Heads Roll'. Then there is a whole second tier, then a third, of albums to plug the gaps, but starting with these can't lead you far wrong. :)

You forgot 'Grotesque,' which is surely in the first tier.

D'wards said:
Whats SXSE?
It stands for South By South East, a strand of events for those geographically challenged Urbanites in South East london and its environs. Open to all though of course! :)

See North By North West, its rather basic prototype trial run for same North of the river... ;)

acid priest said:
It stands for South By South East, a strand of events for those geographically challenged Urbanites in South East london and its environs. Open to all though of course! :)

See North By North West, its rather basic prototype trial run for same North of the river... ;)
but which obviously lacks the fab acronym.

phildwyer said:
You forgot 'Grotesque,' which is surely in the first tier.
Yeah, that's a great one of course - it was really between that and 'Dragnet', but I feel that 'Dragnet' represents the William Borroughs aspect intensely, making it more of a departure from its immediate neighbours...

acid priest said:
Yeah, that's a great one of course - it was really between that and 'Dragnet', but I feel that 'Dragnet' represents the William Borroughs aspect intensely, making it more of a departure from its immediate neighbours...

My favorite is still the debut, 'Live at the Witch Trials.' Tracks like 'Underground Medecine,' 'Industrial Estate, 'Mother/Sister,' 'Music Scene,' 'Frightened' and 'No Xmas' still sound madder than anything they did afterwards, great as that was. 'Hex Induction' is a fairly distant second IMHO.

phildwyer said:
My favorite is still the debut, 'Live at the Witch Trials.' Tracks like 'Underground Medecine,' 'Industrial Estate, 'Mother/Sister,' 'Music Scene,' 'Frightened' and 'No Xmas' still sound madder than anything they did afterwards, great as that was. 'Hex Induction' is a fairly distant second IMHO.
witchtrials.jpg

Absolutely - one of the finest debuts ever IMO. And it was recorded and mixed in two days flat. :cool:

Sadly I wasn't quite aware of The Fall when it came out, but my guess is that it sounded very little like anything else when it was released. 'No Xmas For John Quays' has to be one of the greatest festive tunes ever written.

They got an email from Frank Skinner requesting a free ticket, they replied:-

"Go on then, but Baddiel can fuck of...."

Good stuff, I have not seen the fall in croydon for 20 years!! :eek:

The cartoon is a dump though and often has like 3 punters in....

'Kin hell the cartoon! :eek: That has to be one of the shittest venues in London. Saying that I've only ever seen it with about 10 people in, might be alright with The Fall playing.

acid priest has a good list of suggested albums, though what Code Selfish and Levitate are doing up with the best is a matter for some conjecture and surprise to me.

Hex Enduction Hour is the best, the newie, Fall Heads Roll, you'll be hearing in Croydon, is a winner too.

edited to say that having spotted subsequent posters' votes for grotesque and dragnet... it's between dragnet and hex... and hex just takes it.

John Quays said:
acid priest has a good list of suggested albums, though what Code Selfish and Levitate are doing up with the best is a matter for some conjecture and surprise to me.
I've always been rather out on a limb with those (along with a small group of afficionados who also believe them to be somewhat underrated). What I feel about 'Code: Selfish' is that it strikes a perfect balance and succinctly represents where the Fall were in the years between 'Shiftwork' and 'Middle Class Revolt', while IMO being the equal of any of them. As for 'Levitate', I think it's a gem of an off-kilter oddity - it doesn't sound like anything else they ever did; rather the sound of a band flying by the seat of its pants and chucking every last screwy idea into the pot just for the hell of it before everything imploded. Glorious shit. :cool:

As a result of this (and the fact that Smith heroically picked himself up again in the intervening 18 months) I felt that, when it was released, 'The Marshall Suite' was a touch clinical and level headed and as such a tad disappointing. However, time has proven this also to be a blinder, I feel. I mean, there really isn't a bad Fall album, is there? Even those I consider to be the weakest - 'Bend Sinister', 'Middle Class Revolt', 'Cerebral Caustic' and 'Are You Are (sic) Missing Winner' are still classics by most others' standards. :)

MC5 said:
The "sex pistols experience" singer is brill.

They and Ed Tudor Pole are playing the more distinguished 100 club on 6th April.. £8.. 97 tickets left.

:cool:

ETA:

Can't believe Eddy's just the support act.

:(

Back
Top Bottom