Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

understanding China better

Virtual Blue said:
Should start another thread called the misunderstanding or demonisation of China.

Here's a link from a good friend on "The beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners."

Link

When a story like that is more likely TRUE than false you shouldn't be under any doubt about the extent of that country's evil. People are mocking me for my comments on the place but I think if the USA used the death sentence the way that China does (China doesn't just execute it's murders it executes it opiate addicts) and it was morely true than false that products were being made from the dead prisoners skins the people mocking me would be the first to be calling the USA all the nasty names under the sun whenever the subject came up.

fela fan said:
In the spirit of this thread could you tell the forum on what basis you have arrived at so many facts about china? You did mention that you once sort of knew someone who had lived there, but surely for a person with so many facts you must have lived there for quite some time.

I ask coz this thread is supposed to be a collection of urbanites' own experiences of and snippets about the country and its people.

It's difficult to fathom how you can have so many certainties about the country. Please exemplify.

Many people at the company I work for get sent there. I haven't been sent to China yet and I think I'd resign from my job before I went to a place like that. I know lots of people from many far eastern countries, both locals and ex-pats I have to do conference calls with them all the time.

Oh deary, deary me!

Bear said:
I want to see Taiwan and especially Tibet get the independence their people want.

Except that the people of Taiwan overwhelmingly DON'T want independence. That would mean war for sure. What they want is the status quo, everything as it is, but with greater business links and better transport and trade facilities with the mainland.

As far as Tibet goes, I doubt most Tibetans care much at all for the status of their independence, autonomy or otherwise. It is a very poor and backward province, not least because of the conditions that prevailed under the previous administration (prior to the late 1950's). Their immediate concerns will lie with getting work, feeding their families and the minutae of everyday life and survival.

Yes, it's certainly true that China is booming in away that it never has before. But that doesn't make it okay, because their model of communism and capitalism means the the gap between the rich and poor is wider than in the west.

Huh?

What is this model of communism and capitalism of which you speak.

Oh! I geddit. You mean the GCPD.

But it's not this mix of authoritarianism and capitalism that has caused a disparity in income or wealth.

it is simply capitalism that does this.

And you seem to be forgetting that the gap between the rich and the poor was far, far worse in the west a hundred years ago. China is essentially 100 years behind the west in some ways. It's just catching up fast by borrowing a western capitalistic model and using existing technology to leapfrog forward.

It is inevitable that some people will get rich before others in a capitalist economy that's how it works.

:confused:

This is simply what's happeing in China and, indeed, was specifically advocated by Deng (in his "it is necessary for some to get rich before other so that all may benefit" speech,) during his 1978 visit to Shenzen when he opened the city's doors to the world (though primarily through Hong Kong initially, which has always acted as window and doorway to the mainland,) and set up the city as the country's first Special Economic Zone (SEZ).

Before then, virtually everybody was fucking poor!

Not only that but unlike in the West only certain people get the opportunity to own the means of production. You'll find that most of the factory owners are CCP members.

Nonsense!

Most of the factory owners are Hong Kong, Taiwanese, Japanese Korean and "western" entrepreneurs or businesses, or individual entrepreneurs on the mainland.

None of these people (by definition,) are CCP members, although the govt. did finally get around to ammending the constitution last year to henceforth permit businesspeople to join the party. The constitution previously barred their membership.

The govt. in China is getting out of business at the fastest rate of any country in history (barring the USSR which sorely fucked it up we must remember) and is divesting itself of State Owned Enterprises (SOE) at a solid pace.

China learned a lesson from the breakup of the USSR and is taking things as carefully as possible. That said, the genie really is out of the bottle. It's a huge country and the centre has no immediate control over what happens outside of Beijing. What with a billion or more entrepreneurs running around and very few real rules at all.

It really is very free in China, much like I imagine the "wild west" was. Personal freedoms are broad and there are really only a few things that are prohibited. These prohibitions, of course, are on very important aspects of freedom, but on a day-to-day level, people are free to get on with their lives as they wish. And they do.

They don't give a shit about the sick, the disabled, or even their elderly.

Well, again, as a developiing country with a vast, impovorished population spread across a vast geographical landscape, you'll appreciate that healthcare provision and care of the elderly is not an easy matter.

That said, while I often despair at the level of discrimination suffered by the disabled, I would argue that when it comes to parental piety and fidelity, the Chinese respect and look after their elderly far better than families do in the west. It is a very important, traditional and longstanding apect of Chinese culture.

Healthcare is patchy and the system has gaps and flaws. Standards vary. That said, provision is improving and already offers a life expectancy of 72 years. It can't be all that bad!

They truely have the worst aspects of both systems. They've got all the capitalist inequality without the opportunity, and they've got all the communist state control and one of the most brutal inhumane criminal justice systems in the entire world.

I would tend to agree that does seem that there is a rather extreme mix.

That said, I think we also need to see the direction in which things are headed. Personal freedom is already broad, and civil and political freedoms are certainly far greater than 25 years ago, although much remains to be done. This will continue.

The rampant capitalism I feel is a result of China being in the early stage of economic development. As the economy matures and civil and political liberalisation increases, I think things will balance out better and interact more smoothly.

Many of the institutions required for a functioning democracy are simply not in place yet but progress in the economy will enevitably drag society forward towards a more liberal regime.

Anyhow, gorra rush out for dinner, I'll get to the rest when I can.

:)

Woof

fela fan said:
jessie, renegade, anyone...

what's censorship like with emails? One girl has been trying to get hold of me a few times, but she always gets a failure notice come back to her.

A letter got through to me from her and i have now emailed her two times, but also get failure notices. It's feasibly i can't read her handwriting - only on one digit mind - but for the moment i just wonder... i mean i am very clear with giving out my email address.

she has given me a yahoo email address, and she lives and works in kunming.

I suspect that the delivery failure has more to do with external issues, rather than being anything to do with the "Great Firewall of China".

People often exaggerate the censorship in China. Certain websites are blocked, but others with the same information are available. I am not quite sure why the BBC News website has been singled out. TV censorship seems to be arbituary - they tend to go to adverts whenever they have a foreigner talk about the current state of China, whether this be human rights abuses, or trade and economic policies, however, they also seem to shoot to adverts during the sports section - I hardly imagine Roger Federer is likely to say something to bring down the regime.

It is suggested that the three 'T's are talked about discretely, but when such issues come up amongst reasonable speakers of English, the topics are discussed candidly and openly . I realise that my experience is based on living in a city with a reputation for openness, but one must remember that Zhuhai is a migrant city.

As for the number of people on death row in China - can this not simply be put in context with the population of the country? - which is approximately 6 times that of the U.S. I understand that 3000 (or whatever figure is quoted) is still proportionally higher. On the other hand, I wonder how many of these are purely "political prisoners". Considering that 55,000 people (comparable to the population of England) perished during the cultural revolution, I would suggest that 3000 is a significant improvement.

Remember, that Rome wasn't built in a day. The country is opening up, more and more. Echo JD's comments about the Chinese comparing their situation with that of the USSR. Things take time. The dictatorship in charge now, while being far from perfect, is at least pragmatic and open to developments.

And yes, I would rather China become the superpower over America - a situation that is almost inevitable given time. It would make a nice change, in a world that has become rotten to the core due to much more benevolent corruption within the G8.

I would like to live the last words to Eric Idle :

===============================================
The world today seems absolutely crackers,
With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...
I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
There's nine hundred million of them in the world today.
You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say.

I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
They come from a long way overseas,
But they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese food.
The waiters never are rude.
Think of the many things they've done to impress.
There's Maoism, Taoism, I Ching, and Chess.

So I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
I like their tiny little trees,
Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese thought,
The wisdom that Confucious taught.
If Darwin is anything to shout about,
The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

So, I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they're wise and they're witty, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
Their food is guaranteed to please,
A fourteen, a seven, a nine, and lychees.

Jessiedog, discovered this link.

The myth of the Chinese eating the unborn

Agreed what you said to Bear's response.
Makes interesting read. You are a fountain of knowledge.

Bear -
I'm so bored of people slagging off China because of this and that.
China never claimed to represent liberty and freedom.
America is far worse, what with their record of underage executions, murder of Iraqi civilians, War on Terror, Guantanamo Bay...

Anyway, it's pointless comparing China to America with Anglo-Centric values.

China may have caught up with the world economically but there's still a lot to do...

OK,

And before I forget about Taiwan and Tibet; I think it is probably true that there is no international political support for an independent Tibet (I mean with respect to any group or govt. with the influence to do anything about it,) and therefore it ain't gonna happen.

I think too that Taiwan will be subsumed into the mainland within 50 years or so, probably under some formal "one country, 1 + x systems" formula, but that leaves things pretty much as they are in practical terms.

Bear said:
.......without the opportunity, and they've got all the communist state control and one of the most brutal inhumane criminal justice systems in the entire world.

Where have you been hiding?

There is more opportunity in China right now than just about anywhere on the planet.

And I want to reassert that while China is (still,) an oppressive state, it is FAR less oppressive than at any time between 1949 and 1978, and probably than at any time in history and has been making rapid headway in this regard since 1982.

There aren't spies on every corner. People just get on with their lives, doing business, going to work, making money, making love, spending time with family and friends. For the vast, vast majority of people, life just goes on pretty much as anywhere. Everyone knows what is likely to get one into trouble.

Many different cities look similar to Hong Kong or Singapore have looked over the last few decades. Shanghai is a sophisticated, vibrant, modern city.

The folks in Shang Hai may well be happy and feeling that their time has truely come but go into the countryside where the oppressed peasents who aren't even free to speak their own minds are still poor as fuck and growing their own food in human shit and I reckon they'll be thinking differently.

I've discussed the "peasants" above.

Their lot is top of the agenda for the central govt.

The CCP could fix this by introducing liberal democracy but no, they want want complete control and they'll do whatever it takes to keep it. Bottom line is they are brutal, evil, human rights abusing fucks and deserve to be overthrown.

I believe that liberal democracy, today, in China would be a complete and utter disaster. Not to say that, IMO, a good deal more liberalisation isn't far overdue. Democracy in China is happening from village level up. But there are immense problems with implementation. Remember , the necessary infrastructre is not in place (free press, independent courts, educated population, corruption under control, the constitution itself needs constant ammendment).

Still, those good peeps at the village Taishi have just voted seven of their own onto the village council, ousting all seven of the "official" sitting candidates. :cool: Remains to be seen if the provincial govt will intervene, or how the local town officials in Panyu will now respond. :D

Looks like they ain't giving up without a fight here and are using all legal means as well as smart PR (choosing older women in for sit-ins, hunger strikes, etc, in order to draw attention and sympathy to their cause and strike points against their local govt opponents.

My bet is that Mr Chen (the village chief) will be removed and the villagers might actually get some control here - just to shut them up for a bit. The govt. has ordered local newspapers not to report on the matter any further, but reports are filtering out through other means ;) .

I have no problem with the USA selling places like Taiwan who are trying to become democratic open societies and give their peoples the right to self determination being sold whatever high tech military hardware is nessecary to protect themselves being swallowed up by such a monsterous regime. The people of Tibet truely deserve the help and support of the West.

*sigh*

But, Taiwan already IS an open, democratic society aby any standards and its people DO enjoy self determination, you dimmock! :p

Tibet will remain a part of China and will begin to enjoy a greater and greater degree of autonomy over time.

I do not really support weapons makers and militaristic types - whether from the US, the mainland, Taiwan or anywhere else.

But what the fuck, it's all okay if they keep the £2.99 shirts rolling out eh?

Not bad though are they, eh?

*twirls*

Woof

Virtual Blue said:
Jessiedog, discovered this link.

The myth of the Chinese eating the unborn

Agreed what you said to Bear's response.
Makes interesting read. You are a fountain of knowledge.

Bear -
I'm so bored of people slagging off China because of this and that.
China never claimed to represent liberty and freedom.
America is far worse, what with their record of underage executions, murder of Iraqi civilians, War on Terror, Guantanamo Bay...

Anyway, it's pointless comparing China to America with Anglo-Centric values.

China may have caught up with the world economically but there's still a lot to do...

Hmmmmmmm!

Interesting!

I reserve judgement, though I still lean towards the story being true. I think the refutation has its own problems and is more a poke at the Christian right in the US than any in-depth analysis.

Poppy Dixon (the author of your link) hasn't actually spoken to the author of the original piece, nor had his comments.

I remember when the story broke. Nobody was surprised. Disgusted perhaps, but not surprised. It's far from the craziest thing that happens on the mainland.

Even where Ms Dixon tries to show that it didn't happen by quoting an interview from a Senate Committee hearing, the repondent, through a translator, answered the question:

"....in China that there was actually a market that some family planning employees would sell the aborted babies, the aborted fetuses, to be used as a sort of a health food for certain people who thought that this would make them strong or restore their youth. Have you heard about anything like that happening? Do you know of anything like that in your personal experience?"

By saying:

Ms. GAO. [via interpreter] She's not heard of fetuses, but she does know that there's actually a very strong market for the afterbirth.

My understanding is that the eating of animal placentas is common on the mainland. The subject of eating human afterbirths is far from taboo.

The idea that some people in some clinics in some places in China who had access would not be selling aborted foetuses if asked, is, to me, ludicrous.

The idea that once a market was established (helped, no doubt, by those profiting from it spreading glorious tales of rejuvination and virility,) some, and then others as word spread, would not succumb to the lure of regained youth, or at least a night of passion, I find highly implausible.

I've eaten some weird shit in my time, though not human foetuses.

;)

Edit: BTW, I trust that you will see that I do like to try to take something of a balanced approach.....Otherwise known as ranting about everything! :oops:

Woof

I'm no real fan of the CCP, and am always wary of a change in leadership.

But credit where credit is due. China really has undergone a miraculous transformation over the last 25 years both with respect to economic development and individual freedom.

The country's achievements have been stunning, its failures spectacular and painful. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that we a re heading in the right direction.

I can be and am a strident critic of the Party.

Here's a post I made on the MADE IN CHINA. thread. IMO. it's a good read if anyone ain't seen it yet.

Jessiedog
Keeping the faith. Join Date: Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888
You always sound quite pleased about the fact that you're [Chinese people]getting fucked over in your posts.

Err, no, NOT pleased!

I refer you to the post of mine that you quoted.

Quote:
Trust me Gavin, we don't necessarily like working 16 hours a day, seven days a week in 32 degree centrigrade heat, in dangerous, unhealthy conditions, day after day after day after..... - and all for less than 30 quid a month. It really is not much fun.

Pleased?

Hardly!

Frankly, I'm fucking pissed off about it!

I support workers rights. I support the formation of independent trade unions in China.

This is illegal.

I am involved with The HK Alliance In Support Of The Patriotic Democratic Movements Of China (also strongly pro workers-rights).

China has branded this organisation both subversive and illegal - and according to the CCP, membership is the "badge of a traitor".

And yet, I am still a vocal critic of the Chinese govt. (and a not-unprolific writer) on the subject of workers rights. I hit the streets and demonstrate on the matter. And all this from within China.

And you?

I have been identified. I have a "file". I have been videotaped on the streets. I have been "interviewed". And all of these by representatives of both our local and (seperately,) our central government *authorities*.

For me, the personal risk involved in taking the position I take when I write/say/do the kind of shit that I do on the subject of worker's rights in China, is FAR from academic, not insignificant and entirely self imposed.

And you?

I also wrote.......

Quote:
That said, please have NO DOUBT whatsoever, that we need these jobs and we want these jobs and, yes, we are grateful for these jobs and these opportunities. We too have families to feed and clothe and educate and whereas 30 quid a month doesn't go very far, even in China, we are not making a choice between "this" job and a "better' job, we are making a choice between "this" job or "no" job at all

What's unclear 888?

What would YOU do given such a choice?

Starve?

You write......

Quote:
When will Chinese worers be able to force higher wages and better working conditions out of their employers - i.e. what is the trade union situation like? I expect the government run unions aren't much help.

Labour shortages in Southern China (the manufacturing powerhouse of the country) are already driving wages up - on average by over twenty per cent so far this year. Rock on!

Trying to organise an independent trade union of any kind on the mainland is a criminal offence likely to see one banged up in a gulag for three years hard labour without trial, judge, jury, or verdict. The police have the authority to do this on a whim.

In the unlucky event that one is tried before a judge for such a "crime" (there are no juries in the mainland,) the likelyhood would be a ten to fifteen years sentence.

The conviction rate for criminal "trials" on the mainland (that is, where the defendent has pleaded not guilty,) is 99%.

BUT, none of the above will ever stop us trying to do something/more about it.

OK?

Quote:
By the way no trade decisions are made on the basis of "fairness" - only to benefit the governments (and those governments' clients - i.e. big business) that make them. No such thing as a free market.

Yeah.

I know.

But I also know what is "fair", and slapping tariffs on Chinese imports to the UK ain't it!

Woof

Just interested that is all. You seem very informed about events.

No sinister thing about me, so please.... I prefer Russia to China. So stalking you wouldn't be my scene. :p

Grrrrrr.

Just seen this from today's SCMP.

Mereckons the Editorial writers have been cribbing off this thread!

Buggers!

Saturday, September 17, 2005

EDITORIAL/LEADER

Beijing should step in to resolve rural unrest

Wen Jiabao has been dubbed the "People's Premier" because of his willingness to meet ordinary people. Reports that he has intervened on occasion to sort out their grievances with employers and local authorities have done that image no harm.

It remains unclear whether the premier knows about the Taishi protests, over the alleged theft of funds by the village head. Both Mr Wen and the central government have remained silent despite extensive overseas media coverage of the protests over the past few weeks.

Officials in Beijing have followed their usual practice of leaving local social unrest to local authorities to handle, apparently believing that these protests are no different from other incidents.

Many mainland academics have argued otherwise. The Taishi protests are the epitome of the widespread social discontent at grass-roots level, particularly in rural areas where corruption is rampant. But unlike thousands of other similar protests, they have received special attention from academics and official media - mainly because the villagers have stuck to a smart strategy. They have adopted non-violent and non-confrontational tactics, including hunger strikes, have employed lawyers to advise them and have gained the attention of domestic and overseas media.

The local authorities have reacted strongly from the beginning, using force to try to tame the protests and citing the usual excuse that most of the villagers have been misled by a few troublemakers. This was to be expected. The authorities, whether central or local, treat any protest with great suspicion and their first reaction is to crack down without looking into the reasons.

But as Zhongshan University professor Ai Xiaoming said in an open letter to Mr Wen, she is convinced the villagers were only exercising their civil rights and were not being used by troublemakers. They were fighting for their personal economic benefits. Times had changed and even farmers were aware of their human rights, she said.

She wrote to Mr Wen after rights activist Yang Maodong , who advised the villagers in their struggle, went missing last Tuesday. Activist sources fear he is in police custody.

The day before, more than 1,000 riot police stormed the government office in Taishi. They were reported to have taken away dozens of villagers who were guarding accounting records and other files that may prove their village head was corrupt. Village cadres also removed some of the files. This raised villagers' suspicions after the township government that oversees Taishi announced it would begin dismissal proceedings against the village head.

The Taishi protests have attracted great attention and support from mainland academics. Many believe the protests could be a landmark in the development of grass-roots democracy. The villagers have shown they are well advised and organised and determined to defend their rights. The crackdown by local authorities is likely to make matters worse rather than better.

It is time the central government began sending its own teams to investigate the growing unrest in the countryside and the response by the local authorities. Taishi would be a good place to start. If there is any substance in the villagers' grievances, corrupt officials should be punished.

:p

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Grrrrrr.

Just seen this from today's SCMP.

Mereckons the Editorial writers have been cribbing off this thread!

Buggers!

Woof

Contact the admins/mods then... (as in, the ones on urban)

Ryazan said:
Just interested that is all. You seem very informed about events.

No sinister thing about me, so please.... I prefer Russia to China. So stalking you wouldn't be my scene. :p

Furry Muff!

I guess I've always preferred my bamboo to my iron and my pandas to my.......errrrr.....whatever they have over there.

My work is really quite separate from my political, cultural and personal interests, but I've been fortunate to have travelled extensively across N and S East Asia including Greater China.

It's facinating and quite scary at times.

Peeps may be interested in reading a bit more about the region in the HONG KONG thread.

I think I'll bump it too, for good measure.

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Yes indeed!

There are in the region of 600 million "peasants", throughout China, who live in crushing, absolute poverty and survive pretty much through subsistence farming. The disparity in wealth between towns/cities and rural areas is so vast as to be obscene.

It should also be noted though, that a further 400 million more, who used to live this way, have emerged from poverty over the last quarter of a century. An entirely unprecedented achievement in the history of humanity.

And all going well, another 400 million should be lifted from poverty over the next twenty years and another 200 million over the following decade.

Seems like a plan to me.

As the Chinese communist sytem was disintigrating during and in the aftermath of the cultural revolution and before Deng's reforms were initiated, so incomes were falling across the board as the state struggled to feed and clothe the people. The reforms since 1978 have exacerbated this trend as private enterprise has flourished and, to some large degree, replaced the state as the main provider.

This has meant a steady fall in rural incomes over the last 40 years, just as urban wealth has escalated.

The fate of the rural poor, very much now depends upon their entrepreneurial talent. As wages and state pensions have sunk and healthcare and other costs risen, most country dwellers now need to engage in small scall economic enterprise.

It is an extremely important element of their income.

So :rolleyes: to you!

Woof

They are doing what they can within the economic framework available to improve their lives - they are not all entrepreneurs. Mind you I suppose you think match sellers in Victorian England were all entrepreneurs too.

exosculate said:
They are doing what they can within the economic framework available to improve their lives - they are not all entrepreneurs. Mind you I suppose you think match sellers in Victorian England were all entrepreneurs too.

What's the difference?

Although I agree that everyone in China (and probably elsewhere) is just trying to improve their lives, but surely, by definition, if one is self employed or engaged in a small (perhaps family,) business, one is an entrepreneur, no?

And i do appreciate your point exos and neither am I being solely pedantic. Whereas 'entreneuship" may not be the first choice of many, it is often a necessity.

Over and above this, however, is a massive layer of small businesses in every village, town and city, feeding off and servicing the local economies.

I really don't know wht picture you have in your mind about modern China, but it is changing so rapidly that anything said of the country a decade ago is likely out of date.

And there is no doubt whatsoever that China is an immeaureably better place to live for the majority of its people than anything they've experienced in their lifetime.

I relly can't see any other way of looking at it.

You have to remember that most of the people I know are either (mostly "peasant" or working class) refugees of pre-1978 communist China, or children of same. Most of them remain quiet about their past experiences during the 1950's, 60's and 70's, but I've already heard enough stories to get a flavour of how things were.

400 million lifted out of poverty in 25 years, another 600 or so million to go.

Woof

Hardly!

Frankly, I'm fucking pissed off about it!

I support workers rights. I support the formation of independent trade unions in China.

This is illegal.

I am involved with The HK Alliance In Support Of The Patriotic Democratic Movements Of China (also strongly pro workers-rights).

China has branded this organisation both subversive and illegal - and according to the CCP, membership is the "badge of a traitor".

And yet, I am still a vocal critic of the Chinese govt. (and a not-unprolific writer) on the subject of workers rights. I hit the streets and demonstrate on the matter. And all this from within China.

And you?

I have been identified. I have a "file". I have been videotaped on the streets. I have been "interviewed". And all of these by representatives of both our local and (seperately,) our central government *authorities*.

For me, the personal risk involved in taking the position I take when I write/say/do the kind of shit that I do on the subject of worker's rights in China, is FAR from academic, not insignificant and entirely self imposed.

And you?

I assume you must be western then, can't think of anything else that explains why you're not behind bars for doing that in China...

Bear said:
I assume you must be western then, can't think of anything else that explains why you're not behind bars for doing that in China...

Well, you'd be wrong. The explanation of my freedom lies not with my ethnicity, but rather with an historcial anomiily involving the particular part of China that is my home.

I must say that while your views are obviously passionately held, they do seem rather dated, and your insight into and understanding of China seem limited to the extent of being quite superficial.

Any comments regarding my specific responses to your previous postings?

Woof

He does raise an interesting point though.

Ethnicity and nationality has no bearing on how authorities deal with activists?

Ryazan said:

Ethnicity and nationality has no bearing on how authorities deal with activists?

Nationality, and not having residency elsewhere (like having a green card as well as a Chinese Passport,) are the determining factors. Ethnicity is moot.

If one is travelling on the mainland on a foriegn passport, some protection will be afforded. Most [ethnically Chinese] people, for convenience sake, vist using their "Home Vist Pass" rather than a foriegn passport and will be treated as Chinese nationals under mainland law while on the mailand.

What helps most, if one is detained, is having a foriegn passport, lots of publicity and several western govts. lobbying on your behalf.

Travelling as a Chinese national and not even international, political, arm twisting is likely to be to much avail.

Woof

en·tre·pre·neur Audio pronunciation of "entrepreneur" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ntr-pr-nûr, -nr)
n.

A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.

exosculate said:
en·tre·pre·neur Audio pronunciation of "entrepreneur" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ntr-pr-nûr, -nr)
n.

A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.

Exactly!

Decide what to plant and, if working in a team, who plants what and then plant more than is needed. Assuming that all goes well, flog off what's left over after needs are met.

I can assure you. It' happens all over China.

Woof

exosculate said:
That explains alot, have you sorted out what gender you are yet?

That's interesting!

What does it explain?

My gender (and my gender identity for that matter,) are entirely inconsequential to this discussion.

Woof

Ryazan said:

My opinion is ifJessieDog did what he/she says he/she does in any place in China where it actually matters a fuck and doesn't come from a country who's embassy (or country's press) is going to kick up a bit of a fuss if they nick him or her they'd be seriously fucked by now.

Bear said:
My opinion is ifJessieDog did what he/she says he/she does in any place in China where it actually matters a fuck and doesn't come from a country who's embassy (or country's press) is going to kick up a bit of a fuss if they nick him or her they'd be seriously fucked by now.

Your opinion, or your guess?

Anyhow, my guess is that all depends upon what you may deem to consider a place that "matters a fuck", in China.

My post a few post's up explains how the passport/home visit pass thing works tho'.

Are you a rascist or summat?

;)

Edit: Oh, and care to tackle any of the points I raised in reponse to your early posts on this thread?

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Exactly!

Decide what to plant and, if working in a team, who plants what and then plant more than is needed. Assuming that all goes well, flog off what's left over after needs are met.

I can assure you. It' happens all over China.

Woof

Yeah and that makes them all Richard Branson. You are talking ridiculous twaddle.

Jessiedog said:
That's interesting!

What does it explain?

My gender (and my gender identity for that matter,) are entirely inconsequential to this discussion.

Woof

Your human remains background isn't, and neither is your deceptive persona.

exosculate said:
Yeah and that makes them all Richard Branson. You are talking ridiculous twaddle.

Wait a minute here. Anyone who refers to a dictionary definition and provides it in a debate is rather narrow-minded. As if such a thing can prove anything. Every heard of connotations? Metaphors? Degrees of meaning? Contextualised meaning?

You're the one talking twaddle mate. Once you go hiding behind a dictionary then you've announced that your mind is fixed in terms of any understanding it may achieve.

I can easily accept that an entrepreneur is a person who works for themselves rather than a boss. And that, i guess, is what jessie means by it.

Back
Top Bottom