Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

William Hague pushes Litvinenko inquest towards collapse

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
I can't understand how Hague can do this (or rather that this is legal), it totally undermines the British justice system; do the Russians really have that much of a hold over 'us' ?

The inquest into the death of Alexander Litvinenko is close to collapse after a coroner partially upheld an application by William Hague to keep crucial evidence secret.

The coroner, Sir Robert Owen, reluctantly agreed to exclude material from the inquest that suggested Russian state agencies were involved in Litvinenko's death. He also agreed to keep secret evidence that considered whether or not the UK authorities could have prevented Litvinenko's 2006 murder.

The foreign secretary applied for a PII certificate on 7 February. He argued that if secret evidence were revealed it might damage "national security and/or international relations". He gave no further details.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/17/litvinenko-coroner-crucial-evidence-secret?CMP=twt_fd

it's all just puppets dancing around making it look like their doing something to keep us all happy. Nothing will ever come of it.

sort of sounds like they knew the hit was going to happen and did a gentlemans agreement. Sic transit gloria mundi etc. Wild speculation of course, but what else would the scary foetus headed minister want keeping quiet?

Its not just that aspect though, its also about keeping the activities of UK spooks out of the public eye.

Not just uk spooks though. When their messy obvious hits are made loudly public they all disappear. Vanish. Like old spy-in-a-bag-man who was obviously offed for some reason and yet the evidence trail is vanished, scotch mist.

Well it's more his office rather then Billy personally who will have requested this.

I don't think it's that uncommon for the Foreign/Home secretary to step in during cases like this.

Its not just that aspect though, its also about keeping the activities of UK spooks out of the public eye.

Several years ago I was reading something about Project Babylon and the death of Gerald Bull and aside from all the different intelligence agencies that were speculated to have involvement was a quote from a CIA operative who said that the Israelis, the Russians, the British and themselves [Americans], were amongst the most secretive intel organisations in the world but the British were probably the most secretive in the west.

The CIA think that British intelligence is Byzantine because they have an interest in playing all sides.

They're ineffectual and over-rated like Mossad.

What have you heard about the German secret service lately?

The CIA think that British intelligence is Byzantine because they have an interest in playing all sides.

Planning a reichstag fire to discredit the honest commies last time I heard

I didn't even know they had a secret service. That's how damned good they are.

at least when MOSSAD lift your wallet you know about it. Cos you've got no wallet, trouser leg and leg. And theirs a helicopter full of grim faced men heading away from you.

must be well difficult in the post cold war era for spies and dirty tricksmen. Theres no longer a line to be on either side of. Its gone complicated

And the UKs dependence on Norway and Russia for gas supplies.
we get bugger all from Russia - Qatar and Norway are our main suppliers for imports, Russia supplies the rest of Europe, we actually export a lot more qatari LNG to Europe than we import from Russian gas from Europe.

Just to get some accuracy into the picture.

we get bugger all from Russia - Qatar and Norway are our main suppliers for imports, Russia supplies the rest of Europe, we actually export a lot more qatari LNG to Europe than we import from Russian gas from Europe.

So the HIGNFY title sequence is a lie? :mad:

So the HIGNFY title sequence is a lie? :mad:
fraid so.

we're heading to being more dependent upon LNG imports from Qatar than we were on king coal prior to Thatcher.... not entirely convinced it's that sensible to be continually about a week or 2 away from running out of reserves if we piss the Qataris off. We were less than 2 days away from blackouts last winter and only saved by an extra shipment from Qatar.

We do have a big storage system coming on stream in the cheshire salt mines this year, but if that get's delayed or isn't as stable as they think it should be, then we're in deep shit this winter if we have a hard winter, as at least 3 of the UK coal plants have shut down early due to Ozzies additional carbon tax he decided to impose on power generators from last month.

So what was that about? Lazy journalism or the exceptional circumstances?

Gas price warning as cold March leads to short supplies
The Guardian, Thursday 21 March 2013
Forecasts suggest that gas supplies in the UK could theoretically be exhausted by 8 April, requiring Britain to turn to imports from Norway and Russia.

I think you can file Litvinenko & Russia along with China & Tibet. If we want to take the moral high ground we will lose out economically in trade with these countries to the benefit of our European neighbours who won't(take the moral high ground).

Besides or excluding their fingers in German far-right pies? :)

I think you can file Litvinenko & Russia along with China & Tibet. If we want to take the moral high ground we will lose out economically in trade with these countries to the benefit of our European neighbours who won't(take the moral high ground).

Because we're so much more moral than they are. :D

.... not entirely convinced it's that sensible to be continually about a week or 2 away from running out of reserves if we piss the Qataris off. We were less than 2 days away from blackouts last winter and only saved by an extra shipment from Qatar.
No worries.
We've got more sheep's eyes than the camel shaggers could ever dream of.
Their gas is as good as ours.

:D

weltweit suggested I start a new thread but I know fuck all about this. Mary Dejevsky's recent article in the Indy made me realise that I knew even less than I thought I knew.
The eight years of delay and legal wrangling (...) have allowed a version of events to coalesce that has been widely accepted around the world (with no discouragement whatsoever from the British authorities). It was introduced with characteristic verve and bite by Marina Litvinenko’s counsel, Ben Emmerson, on Tuesday, when he spoke of a “political assassination, authorised at the very top of what he called the “mafia state” that was, and is, Putin’s Russia. According to this, Litvinenko was murdered because he had made an enemy of the service he had once belonged to and its erstwhile head, who became Russia’s president.

There are those - and I am one – who suspect that even if there is truth in this version, it may not be the whole truth, and we have become used to being dismissed as deluded and/or apologists for Vladimir Putin. Yet some of what has emerged in just the past few days suggests, at very least, that there is more to the Litvinenko saga than has so far seen the light of day. (My bold)

Last weekend, for instance, it was reported that US intelligence, in the shape of the NSA (think Edward Snowden), had intercepted communications of the two Russian suspects, Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun (who both deny any involvement), and that it was these findings that had clinched the case against Russia. It is not clear whether any of this information will be heard at the inquiry, either in public, or at all. But the claim raises interesting further questions about when the eavesdropping took place, what country the two suspects were in at the time (remember the all too brief discussion, post-Snowden, about the legality of US and UK intercepts) , and what exactly was recorded – the fact of the Russians’ communications or their actual contents.

It has also emerged that British intelligence was “on the case” quite early. We knew that Litvinenko was interviewed by the police as he lay gravely ill in hospital – an unusual, possibly unique, instance, the inquiry was told, of a victim giving evidence about his own murder. But it was also reported, a couple of days before, and almost in passing, that Litvinenko was also visited in hospital by a UK intelligence officer. Is this true, and why?
And if so, how is this relevant to a murder enquiry?
One of the central arguments for the original assumption of Russian state complicity, however, has been quietly scotched. Do you remember how it was said early on that the polonium had to come from Russia and from a particular laboratory? This, it appears, was so much nonsense. On the opening day, the inquiry was told that this could neither be proved, nor assumed. Russia did manufacture most of the world’s polonium -210, but much of it was exported and there is apparently no global register of who has polonium and where it comes from. (So much for the International Atomic Energy Agency.) The origins of the polonium in this case could not be traced, and this was not an avenue the inquiry would pursue.
So the Russians are off the hook then? Not sure I like where this is going, but it would be good to have input from better-informed urbanites.

It does seem to the uneducated observer (that being me) that the Litvinenko enquiry may be linked to the recent Russian bomber fly by, but I suppose that could also be linked to events in Ukraine so perhaps not.

Back
Top Bottom