Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who else should have their assets seized?

I agree, xes. But if not you, then who? Who stole all the pies?

Who HAS has their assets seized? :hmm:
There's a "should" in the sentence which, coupled with previous demands to seize Goodwin's assets, makes your smart-arsery redundant. :p

He's not the only thieving scumbag - he's just a handy high profile distraction whilst the rest carry on troughing. So, who else is on your list to return their ill-gotten gains?

There's a "should" in the sentence which, coupled with previous demands to seize Goodwin's assets, makes your smart-arsery redundant. :p

He's not the only thieving scumbag - he's just a handy high profile distraction whilst the rest carry on troughing. So, who else is on your list to return their ill-gotten gains?
i didn't see the link in your OP til after I posted. To be honest, I don't know who he is. I haven't been paying attention.

It's a shit attempt at urban synchronicity, but there is a point. All this fuss about removing knighthoods is just a distraction from a failure to even prosecute any of these fuckers, let alone take back what they stole.

They demonstrably didn't earn it. We paid for it. We'll have it back.

And before any whinging little apologists come on to say how some bankers really did earn their pay by making an honest, solid profit ... tough titty, most of Enron's workers did nothing to deserve losing their jobs and pensions but they got screwed anyway. Banking needs to join the rest of the planet.

Has anyone even tried? And more to the point, is it legally possible as the law stands today? Speaking as a complete ignoramus here.

The Directors of every PLC.
The senior partners of every top 10 accountancy firm and corporate law practice.
The top 1000 landowners.
The 5000 wealthiest people in the country in terms of net assets (excluding those wealthy through sporting or entertainment industries, whom I regard as obsenely overpaid but fundamentally harmless, and after all we got entertained in return)

Has anyone even tried? And more to the point, is it legally possible as the law stands today? Speaking as a complete ignoramus here.
No (and you don't need to ask why). And yes, because if we had a government that wanted to try it, we'd have a government which would pursue all possible avenues and succeed. Retrospective windfall taxes were imposed on the privatised utility companies when it was convenient - I can't see any reason at all why it couldn't be applied to other sorts of thieves.

Here ya go, they could make this one stick if they wanted. Goldmans and Citibank and others are already in the frame for offloading junk onto their less favoured investors in the US. This is evidence of it happening in the UK. If they created and collapsed bubbles through fraudulent activity, and we had to pick up the tab, we can take the individuals proven to have been involved for every penny they have, same as we do with other 'proceeds of crime' cases.

They don't have to prove anything in a criminal court to seize assets on this basis neither. It's civil proceedings. Investors could start the ball rolling, which might encourage the government to get in there. Dragged along like they were with Murdoch's downfall.

A Goldman Sachs director in London has resigned after publishing a devastating open letter accusing senior staff of being "morally bankrupt" and bent on extracting maximum fees from clients by offloading unsuitable investment products.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/14/goldman-sachs-director-quits-morally-bankrupt

Back
Top Bottom