Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where now for the anti-cuts movement?

love detective

there's no love too small
Has the anti-cuts 'movement' in its current form shot its proverbial load and to be consigned to the same place where all the other failed left or leftish projects go?

The initial excitement around students as the driver of a new movement/spirit seems to have gone the way of all previous rummaging around for an agent of change in history, i.e. pretty much nowhere.

Although the various local anti-cuts groups seemed to have initially done a good job of avoiding previous left failures at the macro/national level , they don't seem to have avoided them at the local level, and once again we're left (with a few exceptions) with the same (literally) tired old faces, arguments, methods, delusions, dwindling support, demoralised activists, corny and cringe inducing stunts, and inter lefty sect bickering/posturing.

Fair enough, struggle is part of a process, and one that is transformative of at least those involved in it even if it doesn't achieve it's stated external aims/objectives - so in that sense failure can't be judged purely on the inability to achieve any of its objectives. However to me it seems that this transformative process is currently only being experienced by those who are not really in need of it, i.e. people who would be part of it regardless.

It's stumbling along but despite the material conditions, like most other left initiatives, it's not really sweeping up or invigorating anyone outside of lefty/student politics. It's provided career opportunities for the Penny Red's and acres of comment and analysis from both conservative, liberal & radical quarters, people know a bit more than they previously did about economics, history and political economy, but other than that, a good year or so on, what's actually been achieved in terms of building an opposition or a weapon that can be used in its collective interests? With a year of organising, building, agitating, reading, learning, meeting, forming links etc behind us, is anti-cuts political organisation and politics in a better or worse position than it was?

Perhaps it's far too early to start talking about achieving objectives, but is it better or worse placed than it was a year or so ago to be in a position to even attempt to achieve anything? Is attendance at, and enthuseism for, local anti-cuts meetings, protets and rallies growing so the movement becomes more of a potent weapon, or is it fizzling out and into its own irrelevance? Is support being widened into areas beyond the 'traditional' remit of left projects in the last 25 years, or is it increasingly turning in on itself and becoming an irrelevance to those it should appeal to?

I can't help but feel increasingly negative and disillusioned about it's prospects to achieve anything but give the usual suspects a sense of doing something, anything. If you aren't involved however you're carping from the outside and being negative (but perhaps at least providing constructive criticism), but if you are involved and trying to stay optimistic about possibilities - where is it actually going and what is it actually achieving? I think 25 years of left failure has left the ground so completely and utterly obliterated and lost, that the anti-cuts movement in it's current guise and form, has next to no hope of being anything other than a retreat for optimisitc activists.

Is this too harsh, is it just my personal experience, or is it widespread?

There's little politics in these 'movements', so their rise and fall, as mainly single issue campaigns ('anti-cuts'), seems inevitable?

I think in many areas there is a lull as cuts have yet to bite and some cuts targetted to avoid major impact. In the north east the union beurocracy has hi jacked the anti cuts movement and in many areas local commitees have become moribund. That said the situaion is fluid and will change even the union apparatus will not stall events.

It could be, as said above, that the cuts have still to really bite. However, it seems that towards the end of last year people began to get carried away with what is, after all, pretty much routine labour movement (such as a labour 'movement' can be said to still exist) and protest activity, with no real political clout. Some people on here have even made statements along the lines of 'a new politics is developing,' but when pressed are markedly reluctant to describe this politics or what's new about it.

This hyperbole is, in part, is connected to having the Tories back in power and a desire to relive the 1980s. The trouble is that we are in a far less favourable position than we were then, both in terms of political organisation and in terms of working class solidarity, and almost every major struggle was lost despite the relative advantages of those days.

Another thing is that sustained political activity is to a large extent dependent on an idea that some kind of social transformation is being worked towards. In most of the Western world this prospect has receded ever further for decades. In fact the social transformations that have taken place have been driven by capitalism, with 'the left' retreating into lifestyle politics and 'social movements,' with the achievements of the latter being comfortably incorporated into the existing system and providing nice careers for the more pushy of the activists. Aside from this, working class political activity has become ever more defensive, conducted by constantly declining organisations. It is for this reason that people currently get carried away by big demonstrations and activities that can, politically, go nowhere, with only the prospect of another Labour government to fall back on. And once that's achieved everybody will inevitably start talking about Labour 'betrayals.' once again.

It's a brick wall.

One of the key barriers the trade unionists face is the raft of anti-trade union laws - some of the worst in europe - it goes a long way to explain why the necessary strike wave is not already in full flow.

explained by Alex Gordon, RMT President in this article:
http://www.shopstewards.net/news.84.htm

some snippits:
"More likely however, will be an attempt to extend 'proportionality', a concept imported from European law in a number of recent European Court of Justice cases. This allows judges to decide what forms of industrial action (if any) are appropriate in disputes, something not even Thatcher's anti-union laws achieved."

"The government has been examining a minimum service level as used in Spain and Italy. However, in both countries the industrial relations climate is very different from Britain, with a right wing social partnership agenda dominating national collective bargaining, precisely the sort of ‘70s corporatism’ that British businesses represented by the IoD are allergic to. For example, in the Italian public transport sector, governments and employers only recognise trade unions for pay bargaining if they sign up to ‘social partnership’ - including running a minimum service during public transport strikes. One result of this has been the growth of more militant, ‘unofficial’ trade unions in Italy and Spain as workers reject the partnership model of industrial relations in favour of class struggle. You can’t have social partnership with austerity.

In Britain, from a historical low point the number of working days lost to strikes and numbers of workers involved both as a whole and on a public/private basis is increasing. In 2010 November was the month with the highest number of strike days (24,000) involving 13,000 workers largely in the public sector. This figure was already eclipsed in March 2011, the latest month for which figures are available, with 51,000 strike days, in 11 different disputes involving 39,000 workers, of whom over two thirds (35,000) work in the private sector.[iii] Clearly something is changing. The next six months will be critical in escalating the fight back against austerity cuts. A 30 June public sector strike will be a milestone, but an onslaught of anti-union laws will likely follow. For trade unions to resist this will require intelligent strategy and tactical acumen."

brick walls can be knocked down - if no choice and no other alternative is seen by folk as on offer. The anti-cuts movement will require the trade unions to move if it has any chance whatsoever of winning - on the other hand the grassroots can provide the confidence and support required by the trade union grassroots - their membership

Has the anti-cuts 'movement' in its current form shot its proverbial load and to be consigned to the same place where all the other failed left or leftish projects go?

Have there actually been many cuts yet? Sure there's been lots of talk, but isn't government expenditure still increasing?

I think dennis has a good point, but I also think that until their is a credible alternative that is capable of actually winning a few victories (however limited) then we're stuck in a spiral of collapse in what we currently consider Western Society to be - in other words all bets are off when it comes to standards of living and the gap between rich and poor, not to mention many of the various cultural/lifestyle gains made in the last fifty years.

I would say sometimes it's better to keep quiet and leave them wondering, but tbh they've already decided about you.

You mean, someone who asks those annoyingly awkward but correct questions?

UK public spending 2006 was £523B, in 2007 £549B, in 2008 it was £582B, in 2009 £629B, in 2010 £668B. Expected expenditures in 2011 are £690B. That increase of £22B doesn't look like a cut to me. And our lords and masters will be spending £702B in 2012 and £713B in 2013. More increases.

I would suggest people concentrate less on cuts and more on stopping the excesses at the top end. All those juicy executive and banker bonuses. How much does the government give ACPO, for instance? How many beat officers would that fund?

Have there actually been many cuts yet? Sure there's been lots of talk, but isn't government expenditure still increasing?

Huge cuts in adult social services announced at a local level, day centre's, library's, local authority sports centres, mental health services and radical changes to housing benefit spring to mind.

UK public spending 2006 was £523B, in 2007 £549B, in 2008 it was £582B, in 2009 £629B, in 2010 £668B. Expected expenditures in 2011 are £690B. That increase of £22B doesn't look like a cut to me. And our lords and masters will be spending £702B in 2012 and £713B in 2013. More increases.

I would suggest people concentrate less on cuts and more on stopping the excesses at the top end. All those juicy executive and banker bonuses. How much does the government give ACPO, for instance? How many beat officers would that fund?

Look, you've been earmarked as a div since you started here, we don't need more evidence of it.

Here is the Treasury's 2010 CSR document - Go to page 78 and look at table A.2 called 'Spending Reductions'

In total for the 4 years from 2011/12 to 2014/15 - £203bn is shown as spending reductions, i.e. the difference between what had previously been planned as spending and what will now be spent. Looks like a pretty big cut to me

The real spending reduction numbers are actually even higher than this, as the numbers that these figures are based on is comparing total govt spending as previously planned with total govt spending now - this total spending figure includes interest payments which are higher in future years, thereby disguising an even higher reduction to actual public expenditure

Also, when you take into account inflation of say 5% (not to mention things like increasing population etc..) that 'increase' of £22bn between 2010 and 2011 that doesn't look like a cut to you - looks very much like one to me

Your failure to grasp the concept of inflation is disturbing. Inflation is at what, 5%? So that would be £35bn increase to stay still. £22bn is therefore a cut in real terms. If you failed to notice this you should be careful about engaging in either economics or politics.

There is also the question of where cuts fall of course, and which budgets go up.

However, there may well be traction in campaigning against excesses at the top. I'm in agreement with the OP that the anti-cuts stuff has fallen into the usual old left routines, so new approaches need to be thought about. Also new ways of organising.

Huge cuts in adult social services announced at a local level, day centre's, library's, local authority sports centres, mental health services and radical changes to housing benefit spring to mind.

How much has actually happened?

Your failure to grasp the concept of inflation is disturbing.

Oh, I grasp it all right, it's just not relevant to my point. I think most people are more concerned about absolute terms these days. I've taken a 33% pay cut from my last real job in absolute terms, for instance. And witness the innumerable threads here about the exploitation of the very low paid.

Spanky Longhorn said:
Look, you've been earmarked as a div since you started here, we don't need more evidence of it.

Well pardon me for being an independent thinker. And pardon me for pointing out that - so far - the emperor of cuts hasn't got much beyond sharpening the knife. And pardon me for pointing out that the problem seems to actually be where the funds are going. i.e. into the hands of big business, bankers, and the like. Remind me, how many millions are the bailed-out banks paying in bonuses and inflated salaries? How many jobs elsewhere would that money support?

Cameron talks the talk, but he's yet to walk the walk.

Well pardon me for being an independent thinker. And pardon me for pointing out that - so far - the emperor of cuts hasn't got much beyond sharpening the knife. And pardon me for pointing out that the problem seems to actually be where the funds are going. i.e. into the hands of big business, bankers, and the like. Remind me, how many millions are the bailed-out banks paying in bonuses and inflated salaries? How many jobs elsewhere would that money support?
You're confusing the national debt with cuts to social provision. A lot of councils are seeing 25% budget cuts over the next four years. This is just the beginning.

Tackling burdens: Reducing burdens on local government from Department for Communities and Local Government.

It's barely started yet. First significant strike June 30th. And Osborne's plan has already dropped back to £43bn reduced national debt compared to April 2010 projections, when t was £81bn in October. Loads of shit policies have been delayed or u-turned. Too many to type with an Android keyboard.

Bit early to write it off. Too many pincers in this movement, and just because the opponents haven't surrendered yet, or acknowledged the scale of our victories, they are tangible.

SNP getting an outright majority under a strictly proportional system, the nurses 99% no confidence in Lansley, and the support for J30 suggests we are only just warming up.

There's little politics in these 'movements', so their rise and fall, as mainly single issue campaigns ('anti-cuts'), seems inevitable?
I don't think there's anything inevitably short-lived about single-issue campaigns, as long as they continue to have a goal and the will to fight. Some victories can be near impossible, but fighting the battles nevertheless worthwhile.

ISM are a good example, still going strong after over a decade on three simple principles: end the occupation, non-violent Palestinian-led protest, and keep politics for the pub because we have a job to do. The significant victories, from Westerners lending their passports and media privilege to Palestinian action, mean that hundreds still join them every year, despite deaths and long periods of quiet in the mainstream media.

Arguably, the Black Panthers are another example. Community action with real solid victories helping build a protest movement large enough to achieve more. King needed X.

As long as we have a government imposing cuts, we will protest and strike and oppose evictions and confront bailiffs and occupy schools and workplaces and do whatever it takes. And when we see what we can do, we can start thinking about how to make things better.

ISM aren't telling anyone how to solve the crisis, just making sure Palestinians aren't disenfranchised from their own struggle by the men of violence on both sides. It's a good transitional model, comrade.

When in Palestine, ISMers do several actions a day, and if not on actions, they're planning them, doing media or legal work around them, or they're on R&R in Jerusalem making connections and usually doing plenty of actions there. Just walking around with a video camera means you can single-handedly bust a casual checkpoint and help ensure the border police behave a bit. That is, de facto, the sort of model the anti-cuts movement has adopted, with jobs and lives thrown into the mix.

You're confusing the national debt with cuts to social provision.

No, I'm not. I'm looking at a higher level. Total expenditure is still increasing. That's why I'm pointing out that the issue doesn't appear to be less expenditure, but where the expenditure is made. The wrong (to me) places are getting the money. Money is going to bankers' bonuses and big corporates thatshould be going to education, NHS, police, military, etc. How much are SERCO / ATOS / whoever making now?

The initial excitement around students as the driver of a new movement/spirit seems to have gone the way of all previous rummaging around for an agent of change in history, i.e. pretty much nowhere.

You're posting just as students are all in the middle of exams, I'd like to hope that once they're out of the way there will be a fresh wave of energy into UKUncut in particular.

Cameron talks the talk, but he's yet to walk the walk.

He learned his tactics during the Blair era, but so far has proven a little inept. Announce all sorts of scary, horrible policies, focus attention on a few high profile fights, win some lose some but let the real strategic change roll along in the background unnoticed. To me it looks like libraries and forests in the foreground to cloak the benefits & pensions raids and privatisations, but I may not have identified the real focus properly, it's still early days.

You're probably repeating the opinions of some party spokesman somewhere, but I think it's a bit silly to dub the anti-cuts campaign 'single-issue'. It's about the distribution of wealth in society. If that's a single issue, it's kind of the big one.

Although the various local anti-cuts groups seemed to have initially done a good job of avoiding previous left failures at the macro/national level , they don't seem to have avoided them at the local level, and once again we're left (with a few exceptions) with the same (literally) tired old faces, arguments, methods, delusions, dwindling support, demoralised activists, corny and cringe inducing stunts, and inter lefty sect bickering/posturing.

I agree with this.
However I think that now that the reality of the cuts are starting to bite, that we will see more and more people respond to the threat.
In my workplace, people are really scared and are starting to organise to resist restructuring, cuts to jobs, salaries and services. I find the calls for militant action from my "non-political" (if theres such a thing) workmates far more inspirational than a million actions by anti-cuts activists and give me much more hope than 500,000 people walking through London on a rainy day.
I agree with previous posters who have said that this is just the begining.........hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom